• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure for the after market, why not? There are a number of people who want racing, I'm sure they want some of that. In fact I wanted to see a new shape for the covers, and illustrated that feature in it my self. An illustration is far from an engineered design, but it's a start.

As for being aerodynamic, that's a trade-off but I'm sure it could be worked out in the wind tunnel. The old ones are inexpensive, with a little more expense and other changes it's a likely accommodation, IMHO.

Here is some inspiration. :D:cool:

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/car/mclaren-mp4-x/

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Engine braking does wonders, even in an AT.

Willie
A year ago I was in the Smokeys for a 4-day trip shooting with some other guys. My brakes decided they were done ... so I drove all those twisty, back-of-beyond roads for two days touching the brake pedal only to reach a complete stop. AT in my Subaru Forester. No damage done, and got 'em replaced on Monday when I got home. It can be done!

On the other hand, in 1969 or so I came off the Blue Ridge Parkway in virginia, snaking down a very steep road, and the brakes on my Chevy Nova faded out completely ... and I mean completely. 3 on the column and an amazing amount of double clutching got us through, but it scared the sh*t out of me.

So I'm all for non-fading brakes!

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I see as a recurring theme through an enormous amount of posts throughout this wonderful forum is this...Mission Creep.

I see a lot of suggestions for "I want this or that, it ONLY costs a few dollars, why can't EM make it..."

I see it as Mr. Paul has a wonderful vision to make this go out the door for, let us not kid ourselves here, for roughly $8500 all in, base model.

You want your various cameras, sensors, rear view mirrors, light it up like a Christmas tree, and all these other "but it only costs $50 for this that and another thing..." those only $50 items start adding up to real money, real fast.

I think Mr. Paul has a great idea here, and I want this base model to be so very nicely equipped as is, and sell a boatload of them like that.

By all means, you want all those extra items, get them. But just be aware, $50 here, $100 there, pretty quick you are looking at a pricey vehicle that is beyond what the intent of it is as envisioned.

BTW, I am still so very excited to see that Sour Apple Green Elio sitting in my driveway!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A year ago I was in the Smokeys for a 4-day trip shooting with some other guys. My brakes decided they were done ... so I drove all those twisty, back-of-beyond roads for two days touching the brake pedal only to reach a complete stop. AT in my Subaru Forester. No damage done, and got 'em replaced on Monday when I got home. It can be done!

On the other hand, in 1969 or so I came off the Blue Ridge Parkway in virginia, snaking down a very steep road, and the brakes on my Chevy Nova faded out completely ... and I mean completely. 3 on the column and an amazing amount of double clutching got us through, but it scared the sh*t out of me.

So I'm all for non-fading brakes!
Ceramic Composite Pads are what you want then; along with Slotted Rotors (not drilled).
I started running that combination about 14 years ago, and will not use anything else.
When I bought my Magnum, it was a 2007 I bought in 2007 (it had 8K miles on it) and within a week of bringing it home it had Ceramic Composite Brake Pads and new slotted rotors on all 4 corners.
On my S10 I put on 124,000 miles, and never changed the brake pads; it never needed them (doing long distance freeway helped that too; you don't stop very often on freeways, away from the city).

What I see as a recurring theme through an enormous amount of posts throughout this wonderful forum is this...Mission Creep.

I see a lot of suggestions for "I want this or that, it ONLY costs a few dollars, why can't EM make it..."

I see it as Mr. Paul has a wonderful vision to make this go out the door for, let us not kid ourselves here, for roughly $8500 all in, base model.

You want your various cameras, sensors, rear view mirrors, light it up like a Christmas tree, and all these other "but it only costs $50 for this that and another thing..." those only $50 items start adding up to real money, real fast.

I think Mr. Paul has a great idea here, and I want this base model to be so very nicely equipped as is, and sell a boatload of them like that.

By all means, you want all those extra items, get them. But just be aware, $50 here, $100 there, pretty quick you are looking at a pricey vehicle that is beyond what the intent of it is as envisioned.

BTW, I am still so very excited to see that Sour Apple Green Elio sitting in my driveway!
Customizing your vehicles are always a labor of love and personal fulfillment; and so you never buy all of those accessories and modifications all at once. :becky:
You also learn not to keep track of what you spent on it; this way it never "hurts" as much :wof: :wof: :wof:
Ask any biker how much they spend on chrome; and they'll usually never really care, it's shiny and looks great and that's all that matters. :thumb:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Same Technology that's used in Rear View Mirrors inside of Motorcycle Helmets. That's how.

I only recently became aware of the Reevu helmet with built in rear view mirror and having a similar setup in the elio would be awesome. Its low tech, not new technology, and should fit between the headliner and the roof just as it does in the motorcycle helmet. I could imagine that the headliner area above the top of the windshield could be used to show the reflection from behind. This might be a huge aftermarket win for reevu and maybe a nice future add on for elios.

whatyousee.jpg

More on this at the reevu website: http://www.reevu.com/motorsports/what-you-see/

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only recently became aware of the Reevu helmet with built in rear view mirror and having a similar setup in the elio would be awesome. Its low tech, not new technology, and should fit between the headliner and the roof just as it does in the motorcycle helmet. I could imagine that the headliner area above the top of the windshield could be used to show the reflection from behind. This might be a huge aftermarket win for reevu and maybe a nice future add on for elios.

whatyousee.jpg

More on this at the reevu website: http://www.reevu.com/motorsports/what-you-see/
Very cool find. So it's basically a periscope? Lamborghini had something like that in their Periscopa Countach.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Maybe Elio could insert a low-drag NACA duct-style slit in the trailing edge of the roof and install a similar prism-mirror. Or more likely, someone will do it to their car.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Very cool find. So it's basically a periscope? Lamborghini had something like that in their Periscopa Countach.
View attachment 7705 View attachment 7706

Maybe Elio could insert a low-drag NACA duct-style slit in the trailing edge of the roof and install a similar prism-mirror. Or more likely, someone will do it to their car.

at the price point of a Lamborghini there are many things that can be done .... at the price point of an Elio, not so much ....

Top Bottom