• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Like I said, it's probably going to be someone's personal DIY hack. :D

agree and if they do a good job of it at a reasonable price, they may find a market for it .... very few days go buy that we don't have good suggestions for additional factory options .... here again, reality has to set in .... with EM's plan to have an overnight turn around for adding options at their distribution centers, they simply won't have time to make complex modifications .... for that reason alone I do expect to see the development of a pretty large aftermarket industry dedicated to Elio mods

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree and if they do a good job of it at a reasonable price, they may find a market for it .... very few days go buy that we don't have good suggestions for additional factory options .... here again, reality has to set in .... with EM's plan to have an overnight turn around for adding options at their distribution centers, they simply won't have time to make complex modifications .... for that reason alone I do expect to see the development of a pretty large aftermarket industry dedicated to Elio mods

Although, with the panel-on-frame design, it could be as simple as removing the stock roof and bolting on a periscope roof.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Although, with the panel-on-frame design, it could be as simple as removing the stock roof and bolting on a periscope roof.

granted but there has to be a limit to the number options that can be installed in the time EM is allotting for the process to take place at the marshaling centers .... I suspect that at least in the early days that time will be allotted to the options they anticipate most people ordering

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score

After posting earlier I did send a comment to EM about this type of approach. I also prefaced the comment as something that might be good to look into in the future if they find they need to address the rear view situation and the camera is found to be an unacceptable choice.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After posting earlier I did send a comment to EM about this type of approach. I also prefaced the comment as something that might be good to look into in the future if they find they need to address the rear view situation and the camera is found to be an unacceptable choice.
That brings up a related question. Has Elio said what plans, if any, they have with regard to sharing specs for the vehicle with aftermarket parts suppliers? Assuming those come with adequate protections, such agreements could help foster a lot of aftermarket improvements like those raised in this forum, freeing Elio to focus on the base vehicle and OEM accessories.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ceramic Composite Pads are what you want then; along with Slotted Rotors (not drilled).
I started running that combination about 14 years ago, and will not use anything else.
When I bought my Magnum, it was a 2007 I bought in 2007 (it had 8K miles on it) and within a week of bringing it home it had Ceramic Composite Brake Pads and new slotted rotors on all 4 corners.
On my S10 I put on 124,000 miles, and never changed the brake pads; it never needed them (doing long distance freeway helped that too; you don't stop very often on freeways, away from the city).

Customizing your vehicles are always a labor of love and personal fulfillment; and so you never buy all of those accessories and modifications all at once. :becky:
You also learn not to keep track of what you spent on it; this way it never "hurts" as much :wof: :wof: :wof:
Ask any biker how much they spend on chrome; and they'll usually never really care, it's shiny and looks great and that's all that matters. :thumb:

You are a wise man.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many of the options will be simple to do by yourself. I believe Paul had said that he wanted a person to be able to buy an Elio and put in all the options as they want (as they get money). This is different than other manufacturers. For instance, if you want the factory sunroof, you have to order the vehicle with it. Or, you can't get the Platinum treatment for a truck AFTER you buy the base model.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Many of the options will be simple to do by yourself. I believe Paul had said that he wanted a person to be able to buy an Elio and put in all the options as they want (as they get money). This is different than other manufacturers. For instance, if you want the factory sunroof, you have to order the vehicle with it. Or, you can't get the Platinum treatment for a truck AFTER you buy the base model.
The factory sunroof involves a different roof skin in metal bodies; being that the Elio is a composite means cutting a hole in the existing roof skin.
The trim packages like you mention involve taking ALL the parts and pieces which I doubt anyone would want to pay for (at a 300% mark up).

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The factory sunroof involves a different roof skin in metal bodies; being that the Elio is a composite means cutting a hole in the existing roof skin.
The trim packages like you mention involve taking ALL the parts and pieces which I doubt anyone would want to pay for (at a 300% mark up).
Paul said everything would be plug and play. The entire roof panel could easily be removable by a few connectors.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Guess you missed the previous conversation on pacemakers.
With the potential to get rid of that god awful inertial retractor pressing the seat belt on my pacemaker why would I want it to stay on the left B pillar?

thankfully no pacemaker but I have always hated the pressure of a tight seat belt pulling against my chest .... I'm not suggesting anything to anyone, simply showing how I choose to handle it .... picture 1 a frig magnet I found many years ago at WalMart ..... picture 2 attaching the magnet to the belt as a scotch to keep the shoulder belt from tightening .....picture 3 leaving a hand thickness of slack in the belt that goes across my chest .... works of me

Attachments

• 151205 001 safety belt clip 001.jpg
    151205 001 safety belt clip 001.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 151205 001 safety belt clip 002.jpg
    151205 001 safety belt clip 002.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 151205 001 safety belt clip 003.jpg
    151205 001 safety belt clip 003.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Top Bottom