• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And then make sure the door is welded shut so it doesn't fold in half from all the structure you cut out.
Since the panels serve no structural purpose, probably the easiest way to have an Elio "convertible" is to do it "cabrio coach" style. That is, remove the roof panels, weld rails to the inner sides of the roof frame, then install a cloth roof that folds toward the back of the vehicle. You'd have to design a rear hatch that you can open when the roof is closed or in a semi-retracted position. Several vehicles, including the Fiat 500 and smart cabrio, use this style of convertible.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

While not a ful convertible, the advantage of this style for the Elio is there's no cutting of the critical frame involved.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Soft-top Elio! Yet another aftermarket kit I can put my canvas-sewing skills to work at! Although rather than a powered system, I think it'd be easier to make a manually operated one. Especially considering the small space you have to work with. I think the Elio roof is narrow enough that you wouldn't need any roof ribs (which is good, since the front is wider than the back), and you don't need to worry about center-high mounted stop lights or rear windows, so an Elio Cabriolet kit should be pretty straightforward.

Watch this space, guys!

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Alright, so here are my 3D mockups.

First is the "shark fin" I mentioned. This follows the existing curves of the Elio, so it should be close in aero/drag to the standard Elio.
2jaht37.jpg

You'll notice that the rear hatch (in blue) is actually quite long and large compared to the amount of space created by the shark fin. There is even less room for a door than there was before!

The second one here is a "deliverator" model with more vertical walls and a rear hatch that is just as wide as the stock hatch (although much shorter length-wise)
358vpxi.jpg

Because the door is just as wide as the stock hatch, you don't really gain any horizontal space. And even so, the bottom-right picture shows the original body lines where metal frames would be, which would get in the way. However, it would be able to hold more luggage than the stock Elio!

And finally, just for fun, here are some alternative storage options I doodled during my lunch break:

x4pw6v.jpg

The first one is an extension of the rear skirt. The license plate is attached to it. It adds enough volume for about a backpack or a few grocery bags.
The second one is a set of cargo bins made to look like jet intakes, and even have banks of red LEDs in the "exhaust" that can be wired into the brake lights. (Some solution will need to be found to access the gas cap).
The third one is a set of cargo bins made to look like the rocket pods found on helicopter gunships (see picture below).
9iy4xl.jpg
5375331012_4899bb710e.jpg

32.jpg

Reminds me of my old Pulsar, too bad you can't just throw on an extended hatch like this.

Attachments

• 5375331012_4899bb710e.jpg
    5375331012_4899bb710e.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 172

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Soft-top Elio! Yet another aftermarket kit I can put my canvas-sewing skills to work at! Although rather than a powered system, I think it'd be easier to make a manually operated one. Especially considering the small space you have to work with. I think the Elio roof is narrow enough that you wouldn't need any roof ribs (which is good, since the front is wider than the back), and you don't need to worry about center-high mounted stop lights or rear windows, so an Elio Cabriolet kit should be pretty straightforward.

Watch this space, guys!
Can't wait to see it. Wouldn't ribs be needed to stiffen the roof at speed against the wind? Otherwise, wouldn't there be a problem with buffeting?

Another potentially nice design feature of a cabrio coach top is that, if designed properly, you could theoretically design it to be removable and replaced with a regular Elio roof panel and hatch. You would need holes in the frame or some other method to connect the frame to quick fasteners on the panel.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the panels serve no structural purpose, probably the easiest way to have an Elio "convertible" is to do it "cabrio coach" style. That is, remove the roof panels, weld rails to the inner sides of the roof frame, then install a cloth roof that folds toward the back of the vehicle. You'd have to design a rear hatch that you can open when the roof is closed or in a semi-retracted position. Several vehicles, including the Fiat 500 and smart cabrio, use this style of convertible.
View attachment 8494
View attachment 8495

While not a ful convertible, the advantage of this style for the Elio is there's no cutting of the critical frame involved.

I Love the "sliding rag-top"....AND, (properly installed) "they don't leak!" There are aftermarket companies that make (or import) them in many sizes. Nothing to fit the Elio, at this time, but "if" the "demand" is there, someone will make it! :cool:

http://www.slidingragtops.com/Electric-Sliding-Ragtop-Kits.html

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A sliding sunroof would be easier than a full cabrio coach since you can leave the factory rear hatch intact and fabricate the cabrio top just to cover the top roof panel area.

I just noticed a cross member at the top of the B-pillars, so that might need a decorative cover on top since it will be exposed.
image.jpeg

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 8494
View attachment 8495

Hey, kinda looks like my driveway!
c46f29825bf97cc273bc2325d2e9d39c.jpg

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it. Wouldn't ribs be needed to stiffen the roof at speed against the wind? Otherwise, wouldn't there be a problem with buffeting?

I would assume so. The problem is, the Elio roof is wider up front than it is at the back, so the ribs would need to be collapsable. I suppose it might be possible to make soft ribbing (taut cord hemmed into fabric panels). If the stitching was done properly, the ribs could be directed to fold in a particular pattern, so as to avoid uneven fold lines.

Another potentially nice design feature of a cabrio coach top is that, if designed properly, you could theoretically design it to be removable and replaced with a regular Elio roof panel and hatch. You would need holes in the frame or some other method to connect the frame to quick fasteners on the panel.

This was my thought exactly. In fact, I assumed most people would be removing the stock roof panel and installing the cabriolet top themselves. That way, during the cold months you could simply put the hard-top back onto it. The Elio already uses a panel-on-frame design made to facilitate easy panel replacement, so I see no challenge to easy swap-outs.

A sliding sunroof would be easier than a full cabrio coach since you can leave the factory rear hatch intact and fabricate the cabrio top just to cover the top roof panel area.

I just noticed a cross member at the top of the B-pillars, so that might need a decorative cover on top since it will be exposed.
View attachment 8503

Actually, I think the approach you suggest would be harder. To make a sunroof while leaving the rear hatch intact, you would need to permanantly alter the existing roof panel. While I'm sure that would be an option for some people, I can't imagine taking a hacksaw to MY Elio. I think a simple one-piece, "no permanent alterations required" approach would be both easier to engineer and more attractive to the aftermarket.

As you can see, the roof panel is a single piece. It would be a shame to cut it up, and a pain to make a custom half-roof.
2hx4taq.jpg

That cross member on the roof is slightly problematic, but at the same time will add much needed support to the soft-top, so I'm not really against it. It will just need some sort of decorative accent to make the soft top look less "home-made" when the top is open.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would assume so. The problem is, the Elio roof is wider up front than it is at the back, so the ribs would need to be collapsable. I suppose it might be possible to make soft ribbing (taut cord hemmed into fabric panels). If the stitching was done properly, the ribs could be directed to fold in a particular pattern, so as to avoid uneven fold lines.

This was my thought exactly. In fact, I assumed most people would be removing the stock roof panel and installing the cabriolet top themselves. That way, during the cold months you could simply put the hard-top back onto it. The Elio already uses a panel-on-frame design made to facilitate easy panel replacement, so I see no challenge to easy swap-outs.

Actually, I think the approach you suggest would be harder. To make a sunroof while leaving the rear hatch intact, you would need to permanantly alter the existing roof panel. While I'm sure that would be an option for some people, I can't imagine taking a hacksaw to MY Elio. I think a simple one-piece, "no permanent alterations required" approach would be both easier to engineer and more attractive to the aftermarket.

As you can see, the roof panel is a single piece. It would be a shame to cut it up, and a pain to make a custom half-roof.
2hx4taq.jpg

That cross member on the roof is slightly problematic, but at the same time will add much needed support to the soft-top, so I'm not really against it. It will just need some sort of decorative accent to make the soft top look less "home-made" when the top is open.
Great points, and I think you're right about the single panel roof making a full cabrio top a better option than the sunroof-only approach. On the collapsible ribs, again good point. I was thinking some judicious and innovative application of origami folds might help. Worth a try on paper, at least. Good luck!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Detachable hardtop, kind of like a Jeep Wrangler I had some years back. I used to take it off on Memorial Day, pull the carpet and pop the floor plugs, throw on a bimini top and drive it like that until Labor Day. No need to jack with the Elio roll bars and B-pillar, just pretty them up a bit.

Top Bottom