• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it. Wouldn't ribs be needed to stiffen the roof at speed against the wind? Otherwise, wouldn't there be a problem with buffeting?

Another potentially nice design feature of a cabrio coach top is that, if designed properly, you could theoretically design it to be removable and replaced with a regular Elio roof panel and hatch. You would need holes in the frame or some other method to connect the frame to quick fasteners on the panel.
View attachment 8500
View attachment 8501
View attachment 8502
Thought fairy! Paul said the frame would have alternating power points and "blind structural nuts" every few inches along the roll cage. A removable top MAY be easier than you think... along with carbon fiber top, glass top, etc.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great points, and I think you're right about the single panel roof making a full cabrio top a better option than the sunroof-only approach. On the collapsible ribs, again good point. I was thinking some judicious and innovative application of origami folds might help. Worth a try on paper, at least. Good luck!

I was thinking of using chevron stitches to delineate "panels". The roof would technically be a single piece of cloth, but you use stitchest to encourage the roof to fold in a particular way as it is opened. I'll see if I can't make a prototype during my lunch break today (I work with an industrial sewing machine for my job).

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....... I assumed most people would be removing the stock roof panel and installing the cabriolet top themselves. That way, during the cold months you could simply put the hard-top back onto it. The Elio already uses a panel-on-frame design made to facilitate easy panel replacement, so I see no challenge to easy swap-outs.

Actually, I think the approach you suggest would be harder. To make a sunroof while leaving the rear hatch intact, you would need to permanantly alter the existing roof panel. While I'm sure that would be an option for some people, I can't imagine taking a hacksaw to MY Elio. I think a simple one-piece, "no permanent alterations required" approach would be both easier to engineer and more attractive to the aftermarket.
I understand your apprehension to "cutting the factory panel" But, believe me, it happens everyday. We all need to remember that even something (seemingly) as simple as painting it a different color IS a permanent alteration....BUT, It CAN be changed back, just NOT for free. Just a guess here, but because the SMC panels are "glued" in place, It will probably be more "cost effective" (because of high labor costs) to remove the panel "quickly" (i.e. "destroy" it) and then "quickly" replace it with a new panel. Body shops do this all the time. RARELY will a shop "repair" a damaged panel. It's just more cost effective to replace it.
If I understand what you are saying, you would (either) need to: 1)permanently alter the factory panel to "accept" pop-in options. Or, 2) Buy a replacement panel that has already been altered, and "glue'' it in place. just my 2 cents.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I happened across this:
image.jpeg

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking of using chevron stitches to delineate "panels". The roof would technically be a single piece of cloth, but you use stitchest to encourage the roof to fold in a particular way as it is opened. I'll see if I can't make a prototype during my lunch break today (I work with an industrial sewing machine for my job).

I, for one, certainly appreciate your enthusiasm!

Did I not read in a post a long while back about their being an issue with the radio antanna going across (diagonally?) the roof area, and therefore that would have to be dealt with somehow? Maybe that has changes since then.

Keep up the good work Seth, your posts are amongst the top must reads! :thumb:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are they glued in place? Is that something we know for sure? I guess I was under the impression that they would be bolted to the frame. But I suppose, to weatherize it, gluing makes sense.
Don't forget the blind structural nuts along the frame. You should be able to use those to secure anytime hardware you'd need.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the ribbing challenge, I wonder if spring tension rods like they use for curtain rods might work with your concept. They come in a variety of lengths. The rods should telescope in and out smoothly given the gradual decrease in width going front to back.

Top Bottom