• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Any time you do a sliding cloth top the rails have to be parallel; if it a fold back panel it can be wider in front.
Wabasto made all of the sliding vinyl tops for all the English cars (MG, Triumph, Austin, etc.)
I know these very well because I build the first one for a VW Bus in 1984; it was the entire length and width of the Bus.
I made the ribs out of 1/4" x 1/2" aluminum flat bar (8 bends to give it the correct curve).

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any time you do a sliding cloth top the rails have to be parallel; if it a fold back panel it can be wider in front.
Wabasto made all of the sliding vinyl tops for all the English cars (MG, Triumph, Austin, etc.)
I know these very well because I build the first one for a VW Bus in 1984; it was the entire length and width of the Bus.
I made the ribs out of 1/4" x 1/2" aluminum flat bar (8 bends to give it the correct curve).

Elio roof is only about 20" wide at the rear, and about 26" wide at the windshield (totally eyeballing on that). Assuming some room for the sliding track hardware, the actual fabric roof would be probably a trapizoidal section 24"-18" wide, from windshield to latch. Does something like that really need rigid ribs? It will have the aforementioned frame rib above the B-pillars, and the roof to guide it's shape. As long as the fabric is taut, I figure that should be enough structural support? Since you have experience with making one, do you think the narrow roof of the Elio needs metal ribs?

I'm not familiar with the typical contstruction of soft tops, but I imagine the best way to do one would be by placing tracks on either roof edge (like hanging closet door tracks) with the wheels mounted to the cloth top at every other panel hinge point (rib or "stitched virtual-rib").

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan to add this option. The wife thinks it might fall over...

elio6rgb2_483x406.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio roof is only about 20" wide at the rear, and about 26" wide at the windshield (totally eyeballing on that). Assuming some room for the sliding track hardware, the actual fabric roof would be probably a trapizoidal section 24"-18" wide, from windshield to latch. Does something like that really need rigid ribs? It will have the aforementioned frame rib above the B-pillars, and the roof to guide it's shape. As long as the fabric is taut, I figure that should be enough structural support? Since you have experience with making one, do you think the narrow roof of the Elio needs metal ribs?

I'm not familiar with the typical contstruction of soft tops, but I imagine the best way to do one would be by placing tracks on either roof edge (like hanging closet door tracks) with the wheels mounted to the cloth top at every other panel hinge point (rib or "stitched virtual-rib").
Yes, you need an arc to the material so that the rain runs off and snow doesn't collapse it. The front and rear headers would be curved to match the roof, and it would only need 2 ribs at most. Now is it 20" inside those two ribs the run the length of the roof? I don't think so and those ribs do need to stay.
I a different discussion we figured out that the most opening you can end up with side to side with any type of sunroof is about 12" for the true opening.
Even the sliding cloth tops have "frames" on both sides.
Someone in here has the Fiat with the sliding roof, ask him to measure it on the outside of the material and then compare it to the true opening width on the inside; there's about 2" of overlap on both sides that is frame work. So outside is one size, the inside should be about 4" smaller side to side.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you need an arc to the material so that the rain runs off and snow doesn't collapse it. The front and rear headers would be curved to match the roof, and it would only need 2 ribs at most. Now is it 20" inside those two ribs the run the length of the roof? I don't think so and those ribs do need to stay.
I a different discussion we figured out that the most opening you can end up with side to side with any type of sunroof is about 12" for the true opening.
Even the sliding cloth tops have "frames" on both sides.
Someone in here has the Fiat with the sliding roof, ask him to measure it on the outside of the material and then compare it to the true opening width on the inside; there's about 2" of overlap on both sides that is frame work. So outside is one size, the inside should be about 4" smaller side to side.

So wait, do you mean that the ribs would be attached to the frame, rather than moving with the soft top? I guess I hadn't considered that.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So wait, do you mean that the ribs would be attached to the frame, rather than moving with the soft top? I guess I hadn't considered that.
Outside the box is correct; the cover header, ribs and tail piece are part of the cover.
The tail piece is bolted down through the roof and is part of the body frame work.
There are rails on either side that the header slides in (the header also locks it closes and puts tension on the cover.
The ribs are sewn into the cover and are the fold points that stay attached to the rails.
The material fold up between the ribs and the header.

I'll go look and see it I can find a Wabasto diagram for it.

Oh yeah, VW Bugs had the folding vinyl / cloth (either or depending on how mush $ you want to spend) top also.
They were like installing it in a basketball.

Top Bottom