• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would change a certain option that will be available on all Elios. As I understand, the only colors available for interior panels is the body colors. While I like a brilliant red for the body, I am not so sure I would like a brilliant red interior. I would probably like something more "subdued" (?)

I would like EM to offer a wide variety of different interior panels. Even if the paint cost of these panels is more expensive, this would not be a problem because interior panels are an option. (I draw the line, however, at leopard skin. Ugh.)

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would change a certain option that will be available on all Elios. As I understand, the only colors available for interior panels is the body colors. While I like a brilliant red for the body, I am not so sure I would like a brilliant red interior. I would probably like something more "subdued" (?)

I would like EM to offer a wide variety of different interior panels. Even if the paint cost of these panels is more expensive, this would not be a problem because interior panels are an option. (I draw the line, however, at leopard skin. Ugh.)
Maybe the interior panels could be switched out for a different color or painted by your favorite local painter? Not sure how they are attached.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Outside the box is correct; the cover header, ribs and tail piece are part of the cover.
The tail piece is bolted down through the roof and is part of the body frame work.
There are rails on either side that the header slides in (the header also locks it closes and puts tension on the cover.
The ribs are sewn into the cover and are the fold points that stay attached to the rails.
The material fold up between the ribs and the header.

I'll go look and see it I can find a Wabasto diagram for it.

Oh yeah, VW Bugs had the folding vinyl / cloth (either or depending on how mush $ you want to spend) top also.
They were like installing it in a basketball.

So that brings me back to my initial issue... how do you get the ribs to flex? They would have to flex for the Elio's roof. Here, let me show you what I mean.

Here is a prototype I whipped together at work today. It's not made from canvas or vinyl, it's made from heavy duty nylon so it's a little more inflexible, but it gets my point across.
kegmsp.jpg

It's 74" long, 11" wide at the far end (rear, on the Elio) and 20" wide at the near end (would connect to the windshield). I'm sure those are not the dimensions the Elio would use, but this is just a mock-up to get the idea across.

8z4n40.jpg

Here, it is folded up as if it were retracted. I pinned the "ribs" together, such that all corners where as wide as the narrowest section (the rearmost attachment point).

308jxhi.jpg

This is the view of the cover, if it were fully retracted and you were standing behind the Elio. See how it flexes upwards in the middle? I stitched a single line of thread to encourage it to fold right in the middle, otherwise it made a jagged, haphazard fold.

2ahwpas.jpg

Here is the interior view of the retracted cover. Each of the folds facing you are where a "rib" would be, except that I can't imagine a rib flexing that much and yet still being rigid when it is in position. The topmost layer would be the end that mounts to the windshield when the cover is closed. As the cover slides forward, the ridge in the center would slowly flatten out until the cover is fully forward and is taut.

What material could be used for ribs? Or does it really need any, for such a narrow application? I know the actual cover would be around 14"-16" wide at the narrow end, and possibly still 20" at the front, so the angle would be a little less extreme but still present. Thoughts?

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seth, just use flat strips of spring steel a little longer than the width of the rails. It'll flex into a shallow arc when in position and it should easily flex a bit more and help guide the folds as it slides aft along the rails.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So that brings me back to my initial issue... how do you get the ribs to flex? They would have to flex for the Elio's roof. Here, let me show you what I mean.

Here is a prototype I whipped together at work today. It's not made from canvas or vinyl, it's made from heavy duty nylon so it's a little more inflexible, but it gets my point across.
kegmsp.jpg

It's 74" long, 11" wide at the far end (rear, on the Elio) and 20" wide at the near end (would connect to the windshield). I'm sure those are not the dimensions the Elio would use, but this is just a mock-up to get the idea across.

8z4n40.jpg

Here, it is folded up as if it were retracted. I pinned the "ribs" together, such that all corners where as wide as the narrowest section (the rearmost attachment point).

308jxhi.jpg

This is the view of the cover, if it were fully retracted and you were standing behind the Elio. See how it flexes upwards in the middle? I stitched a single line of thread to encourage it to fold right in the middle, otherwise it made a jagged, haphazard fold.

2ahwpas.jpg

Here is the interior view of the retracted cover. Each of the folds facing you are where a "rib" would be, except that I can't imagine a rib flexing that much and yet still being rigid when it is in position. The topmost layer would be the end that mounts to the windshield when the cover is closed. As the cover slides forward, the ridge in the center would slowly flatten out until the cover is fully forward and is taut.

What material could be used for ribs? Or does it really need any, for such a narrow application? I know the actual cover would be around 14"-16" wide at the narrow end, and possibly still 20" at the front, so the angle would be a little less extreme but still present. Thoughts?

What about scaled down versions of fiberglass tent poles. The flexible type used on most tents these days, or even fishing poles, except not tapered. You might have to play around with the diameter of the pole/rod to get the right compromise on rigidity and flexibility. Sew sleeves into the top, insert the rods, and sew up the ends. A quick search turned up this place. Lots of sizes, super cheap.

http://www.fiberglass-rods-bars.com/rods.htm#.Vs5uRs_Sldg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

kegmsp.jpg

8z4n40.jpg

308jxhi.jpg

2ahwpas.jpg

Ok, that long seam you have down the middle would not be there, the cross seams would; they slide parallel to the front header; This is why you can't have the taper, the rails on the side are what the header and ribs slide in.
Plus every sewn seam has to have a back seal; otherwise they wick water through.
Part of what you're missing is that there is an interior piece also that carries the insulation so you don't freeze your tootsie off in the winter.
I just got back from dinner, give me a while to find that drawing.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This is great for showing it; fast forward to 1:20 and watch it from there (No, you don't have to do the front body work the same).
They build it from scratch to be just like a factory unit (kind of what I went through on the VW Bus except the Bus was bigger)
The side rails they use look almost like factory units; I have no idea where they got them.
Watch till almost the end because they show the inside panel too.
**Note** depending on your musical tastes, you might want to turn the sound down (or off) this is made in Mexico

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Note, one thing to remember, a folding vinyl sunroof is only a part time sunroof.
Part time in the way, it's only a sunroof when it's open.
For all the years I did custom cars and sunroofs and T-Tops there are a lot of people that like that wide open feel a sliding / folding vinyl roof give you but don't like when it's closed all the time; they would rather have glass.
And before someone says "how about using clear vinyl" we tried it, it doesn't work more than about 3 months before you have to replace the cover.
The Vinyl or cloth used in these are the same material as a convertible or a vinyl roof; outdoor marine grade material. It has to be waterproof.

Top Bottom