• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good to know. Back to the topic [I had to look].

The P5: What would you change: No devices that could cause an EMP!

I would be nice if they balanced out the instrument panel with a temperature gauge on the left side.
Elio Amazed covered most of the rest with the HUD which I never connected as a solution till I looked at what he presented.
Move the shifter back and put the cup holder where the shifter is right now.
Problem is that my F150 is so well equipped that it has me spoiled.
Don't even know what to call some of the features I like. It's equipped a lot like a King Ranch version.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Why? Something like that would not void a warranty; it does not have any effect on the operational parts of the vehicle.
And if you're wondering about mileage that shows, they can pull true mileage through the OBDII

historically, mess with the odometer and you can get into a host of problems ..... replace the OEM and I believe the replacement has to be made to show the accurate mileage

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for Elio Motors regarding the hood prop.

The hood prop (what holds up the hood when open) is often in the way of anyone servicing the engine bay. I suggest it be placed between the middle of the top of the hood and the windshield ledge above the engine, in the middle. Thus it goes from the center of the windshield ledge to the center of the hood and is out of the way of people on both sides of the open engine bay.

It can be hinged at the top of the hood and swing down when not in usage and snap into place on the underside of the hood, OR, it can hinge at the middle of the windshield ledge and lay diagonally across the engine. At first, this sounds unattractive but when the hood is open, the prop will be up.

The people at the automotive magazines are gearheads and will probably appreciate and praise this.

I do not know if other vehicles have this arrangement or not.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for Elio Motors regarding the hood prop.

The hood prop (what holds up the hood when open) is often in the way of anyone servicing the engine bay. I suggest it be placed between the middle of the top of the hood and the windshield ledge above the engine, in the middle. Thus it goes from the center of the windshield ledge to the center of the hood and is out of the way of people on both sides of the open engine bay.

It can be hinged at the top of the hood and swing down when not in usage and snap into place on the underside of the hood, OR, it can hinge at the middle of the windshield ledge and lay diagonally across the engine. At first, this sounds unattractive but when the hood is open, the prop will be up.

The people at the automotive magazines are gearheads and will probably appreciate and praise this.

I do not know if other vehicles have this arrangement or not.

First thing I thought when I saw the hood prop is, "Man, that'll get in the way!". So one of the first mods might be to install a gas lift strut. No idea what the hood weighs at this point, but it looks very light. One low pressure (lbs. lift) strut, right in the center depending on clearance, or to either side of the radiator could do the trick. Won't know the piston throw, or psi required to make it safe until I get mine, but I'll be sure to post that info once it's functional...We're going to need a new "How-to" section on the forum this time next year.

gas strut.jpg

Jag39

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the new P5 better than the P4. Glad they ditched the headlight surrounds, which I hated. Hoped for a bit more headroom in the rear seat. Guess an inch will do, but it was a bit snug when I finally got to sit in one. Also, I had to bend over to see out of the rear side windows. They were big enough, but had a wide, black surround of some kind on them, which made them, technically, a small window. Lose that, if they haven't already. Also, I would like a hair more road clearance. Gators and roadkill will destroy this car if you can't dodge it. Also, got to admit, I live a mile down a horrendous private dirt road.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the new P5 better than the P4. Glad they ditched the headlight surrounds, which I hated. Hoped for a bit more headroom in the rear seat. Guess an inch will do, but it was a bit snug when I finally got to sit in one. Also, I had to bend over to see out of the rear side windows. They were big enough, but had a wide, black surround of some kind on them, which made them, technically, a small window. Lose that, if they haven't already. Also, I would like a hair more road clearance. Gators and roadkill will destroy this car if you can't dodge it. Also, got to admit, I live a mile down a horrendous private dirt road.

Between lower seat and the change of the roof slope the back seat is much nicer in the P5 however if you are over about 5'10" it is still likely only going to be good for short rides. The rear windows still have the black strip however they are larger, due to the change in roof profile, and combined with the lower seat I found them much more useful than the P4 which really helped make the rear seat feel more open and comfortable.

The P4 was sitting about 2" lower than stock ride height with the P5 now being at the full ride height with 5.75" of ground clearance which is a fairly standard ride height for cars. I definitely like the ride height on the P5 as it is actually about a half inch higher than my Honda Civic which is nice as I live down a gravel road.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying for; can't say that the wiring harness would be the same, but it would be fairly easy to make an adapter once I have one to work with.

(hehe get one showing 200,000 miles and say you put it all on since you picked up your Elio)
If you start making adapters, make a bunch of 'em ... I liked the P_4 instruments just fine, and I'm sure others did too. And if you DID want fancier gauges, you could put THOSE on top of the Metro gauges.

I'm planning on mounting a rear view monitor where the rear view mirror (which we do not have, of course) would normally go. Then using Navdy to handle GPS and radio / sound system control, thus getting rid of my Garmin altogether. Navdy (which begins manufacturing this month, but which won't be distributed til early next year) should work in the Elio.

So, back-up camera, check
Navigation, check
Sound system, at least a semi-check.

LOSE THE ELGIN DASH BY WHATEVER MEANS ARE POSSIBLE.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Between lower seat and the change of the roof slope the back seat is much nicer in the P5 however if you are over about 5'10" it is still likely only going to be good for short rides. The rear windows still have the black strip however they are larger, due to the change in roof profile, and combined with the lower seat I found them much more useful than the P4 which really helped make the rear seat feel more open and comfortable.

The P4 was sitting about 2" lower than stock ride height with the P5 now being at the full ride height with 5.75" of ground clearance which is a fairly standard ride height for cars. I definitely like the ride height on the P5 as it is actually about a half inch higher than my Honda Civic which is nice as I live down a gravel road.
Extra ground clearance is important in bad weather, especially with the built-in snow sucker design of the snout of the car.

Top Bottom