• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just about to say that...
Who says all these components aren't going to go on and off of the frame several times before they start the permanent installation?

Tech #1: "Yeah I know, but I just don't like it like that."
Tech #2: "O.K., you're right, let's pull it out again and fix it."
Actually the latest Friday release says they are intended to be put on and off several times.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am rather surprised that more progress hasn't been made on the car. I'm a mere amateur working on my car in my spare time but have totally rebuilt it. including designing, making and fitting a one-off fuel injection system for the Suzuki Swift /Geo Metro engine (and one other important modification....) since early May when it looked like this:

4F8DA2AC-E277-45FE-B808-164FC232A065_zpsbwajtpg2.jpg

It now looks like this:

image_zpspoozy5jf.jpe
You sure do beautiful-looking work.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I remembered hearing about a left side foot rest for those long trips and there it is.
Nice detail.
Easy enough to cut a little door in the foot rest and use it for secret storage or additional electronics or even not-so-secret storage. It seems pretty roomy.

Here's a question. Someone observed that there aren't any side-beams installed in these pictures. Which raises an interesting question -- if the side-beams are in place, how to you install the seat tray? (Or cockpit liner, or bath tub, or whatever you call the plastic tray that holds the seats).

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Easy enough to cut a little door in the foot rest and use it for secret storage or additional electronics or even not-so-secret storage. It seems pretty roomy.

Here's a question. Someone observed that there aren't any side-beams installed in these pictures. Which raises an interesting question -- if the side-beams are in place, how to you install the seat tray? (Or cockpit liner, or bath tub, or whatever you call the plastic tray that holds the seats).
It's in this picture:
upload_2015-10-3_13-6-2.png

Looks like metal cross braces attached to the frame that they will be bolted to (the seats)
The whole interior is pieces that can be put in or taken out through the door opening.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's in this picture:
View attachment 7168

Looks like metal cross braces attached to the frame that they will be bolted to (the seats)
The whole interior is pieces that can be put in or taken out through the door opening.
I the only one I see in the lower picture is a welded member that protects the rear seat occupant. I thought there was a similar one on the driver's right side. Are you saying that they bold one in after the interior tray is installed but before the body goes on? Would that have the strength of a weldment, or am I just getting this all wrong? (Which is entirely possible).

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I the only one I see in the lower picture is a welded member that protects the rear seat occupant. I thought there was a similar one on the driver's right side. Are you saying that they bold one in after the interior tray is installed but before the body goes on? Would that have the strength of a weldment, or am I just getting this all wrong? (Which is entirely possible).
They would bolt the seat through the tray, into some type of nutsert mounted into a frame member just like every car on the road today.
The majority of seats have 4 bolts that they use to hold them in place; some older cars had studs welded to the tracks, and you would stick them in the car, and run the nuts up from under the car (60's Ford products). They found out later that was a bad idea because the bolts would get garked up or rusted and you'd have a hard time removing them.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They would bolt the seat through the tray, into some type of nutsert mounted into a frame member just like every car on the road today.
The majority of seats have 4 bolts that they use to hold them in place; some older cars had studs welded to the tracks, and you would stick them in the car, and run the nuts up from under the car (60's Ford products). They found out later that was a bad idea because the bolts would get garked up or rusted and you'd have a hard time removing them.
I was asking about the safety beam on the right side opposite the driver.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was asking about the safety beam on the right side opposite the driver.
That will have no affect on the seat going in and out; it will come in through the other door.
As for the interior pieces, it just makes it easier access into it easier; you'll be able to put all of the interior pieces in through the left door opening.
Kind of the same as working on the back panels in a SUV, a Van or a Station Wagon.

Top Bottom