• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great pictures.
Glad they finally showed the front motor mount bracket. Maybe a little re-bracing needed on the bracket? It looks like the rubber mount will be mounted on the frame.
That acc. belt looks "really long".
I'll take a closer look at the AZ showing. If they have the mock up engine there.

The harmonic balancer will have to be real good, or the engine will shake like a "rumba band" at idle.
(My G1 Insight uses the impulses from the AC motor to balance the engine at idle.)
Willie

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
elio0-jpg.7331.jpg

I though that was Scott Hall for a second.

Glad to see some progress though.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's the purpose of the HB on there?
It counters he inherent shaking of the engine as it rotates... think of it as a dynamic counterweight. The one shown can be modified without removing it so hat it changes the dampening characteristics. Engines shake differently at idle than when the rpms are higher and sometimes that can set up some odd vibrations. Engines can actually destroy themselves if they begin resonating in frequency. That makes for a less than fun day.

He one shown can be adjusted without taking it off the engine. He front gets untitled and plates can be moved or added to change the frequency of timing of it's dampening effort. For instance, the Elio may develop a harsh vibration at 3,650 rpm that it doesn't have elsewhere... adjusting the HB may eliminate it OR move that vibration to an rpm that isn't seen often. It would suck if the most common rpm you used every day made the whole cabin vibrate.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
a few questions :

1. judging from the pictures what would you estimate that the P5 is of being complete

2. once the motor and transmission are in place, shouldn't the pace of the project accelerate

3. best guess, what would be the most time consuming remaining part(s) of the build

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a few questions :

1. judging from the pictures what would you estimate that the P5 is of being complete

2. once the motor and transmission are in place, shouldn't the pace of the project accelerate

3. best guess, what would be the most time consuming remaining part(s) of the build
I think they will take all the time necessary to be very precise in this build as the purpose is verifying fit for the coming "E" versions. I love this progress, I think it will be instrumental to ATVM and possibly other opportunities for funding. :amen:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think they will take all the time necessary to be very precise in this build as the purpose is verifying fit for the coming "E" versions. I love this progress, I think it will be instrumental to ATVM and possibly other opportunities for funding. :amen:
Yes, the visual progress is sweet, reassuring, and takes EM one giant step closer to funding options with a fully complete close to production ready prototype screaming around the test track at an 82.5 mpg pace.

Top Bottom