• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Was looking at cruchfield.com. at several options. they change so fast. Also have not ruled out the Ipad option. ...will look more in a few months. My only concern is theft with the Ipad in the mount. Not sure if I want to store it away every stop I make..
Sorry Digger, my mind was on a different thought pattern than my original question to you, and it got silly at that point.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes. And those factors will affect handling. For the Elio to handle safely, a certain amount of "understeer" is vital. I wouldn't be surprised if tire pressure will be different for the front and rear.
Is this so strange? I can remember only ONE of the dozen or so cars I have owned that called for the same pressure front and rear. Of course, I have never owned a car older than 1979.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this so strange? I can remember only ONE of the dozen or so cars I have owned that called for the same pressure front and rear. Of course, I have never owned a car older than 1979.

And most of my motorcycles have different pressure front and rear. Always check the placard for correct inflation pressures.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I assumed the body covered the exhaust pipe. But it looks like the exhaust pipe is covered by a piece, separate from the body. I hope there is no trouble with heat build up (I live in the desert).

When I compare the build picture with the P5 drawings I think that what might ultimately be covering the exhaust will be a sill plate. The door ends far too high in the build picture and about the only thing that I can think of that would go under it would be a sill plate.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I compare the build picture with the P5 drawings I think that what might ultimately be covering the exhaust will be a sill plate. The door ends far too high in the build picture and about the only thing that I can think of that would go under it would be a sill plate.

Hmm... except that since there is no door on that side it really isn't a sill plate but it is something that is separate from the actual side panel and would be a sill plate if there was a door there.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm interested in learning more about what you said Bert. Can you explain more in simple terms, for example the rim being bolted on center, a wider tire won't offset. Thanks!

Arilea did a good job of explaining it. The only thing I'd add is to clarify, if you put a wider tire on the same rim, half of the wider part will be distributed to each side of the rim. The only thing limiting a person, will be the swing arm.

Left front tire, as you sit in the driver seat.
Center line, thinking of the middle line as where it bolts on.
I I I

Negative off center
I_I___I

Positive off center

I____I_I

Front wheel drive cars tend to have less torque steer by using negative offset rims. This is mostly due to weight transfer of the vehicle.

The rear rim "might" match the front ones. Or, as it isn't depending on another ground contact, it may be a center line rim.

Last edited:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As big as the new iPhone is (the 6S is 6 1/4 X 3) it's almost the same size as a tablet (9 1/2 X 7 1/2) you can use the iPad as your phone and carry it around in the man iPurse :becky:
Hellooooo! It's called an "attaché case" -- check out this model here:
https://www.briefcase.com/korchmar-monroe-4-leather-attache-case-a1141/

Suitable for carrying pens, pencils, legal briefs, a pack of tissues, and your lunch. Buy it now -- it's on sale for $600 ($400 off the usual price.)

Top Bottom