• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The IAV engine is designed to run at low RPM. Motorcyles run at way higher RPMs, so there's little similarity in any case.
This is a car, not a MC, the only MC comparison issue is the federal classification of under four wheels.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The IAV engine is designed to run at low RPM. Motorcyles run at way higher RPMs, so there's little similarity in any case.
This is a car, not a MC, the only MC comparison issue is the federal classification of under four wheels.
Oh sure, looks like a car to me.........in comparison?

image.jpeg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I take it you've never ridden a Harley. Not all motorcycles run at high RPM.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the latest P5 build photos, I thought I'd take a wild guess at the dash size opening ....for my planned replacement of 'you know what' ;)

One of my jobs involves working in a warehouse, and assuming the pallet in the picture is of typical design (sure looks so anyway) the side fork opening is roughly 9 inches. This translates the possible opening in the dash cowell to roughly an oblong dimension of 7" x 14" which would be perfect for my replacement choice......
View attachment 7474
View attachment 7475
When you were judging sizes, were you looking ad the complete dash pod housing (the piece on the left, 1/3 of the way up from the bottom) or were you looking at the instrument cluster face (bottom, slightly right of venter)?
The instrument cluster face has 2 round indentations on it; those are for your AC/Dash level vent openings; the area in-between is all the space you have to work with.
You might be able to get those oval clusters in there, but you will be going a lot of dash modification to get them to fit.

Do you have the measurements for the oval clusters, including depth?
And what drives the speedo; cable or GPS? If it's cable, you need the contact the people that make the transmission to see if you can get an assortment of speedo cable drive gears so you can get the speedo re-calibrated. Without the recert, you might be driving along at 30 and find out you're doing 50 or vice versa. It will also throw the mileage count off.

Not trying to rain on your parade; but I've looked into those before too; the amount of work it would take is more than I wanted to do. That's why I decided to use a different cluster that does use GPS for the speedo.
The oval ones look really nice, but I'd be careful before you spent the money; get as much information about them as you can to be sure it will work.
Looking like they'll fit, and actually fitting and working can be worlds apart.

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you were judging sizes, were you looking ad the complete dash pod housing (the piece on the left, 1/3 of the way up from the bottom) or were you looking at the instrument cluster face (bottom, slightly right of venter)?
The instrument cluster face has 2 round indentations on it; those are for your AC/Dash level vent openings; the area in-between is all the space you have to work with.
You might be able to get those oval clusters in there, but you will be going a lot of dash modification to get them to fit.

Do you have the measurements for the oval clusters, including depth?
And what drives the speedo; cable or GPS? If it's cable, you need the contact the people that make the transmission to see if you can get an assortment of speedo cable drive gears so you can get the speedo re-calibrated. Without the recert, you might be driving along at 30 and find out you're doing 50 or vice versa. It will also throw the mileage count off.

Not trying to rain on your parade; but I've looked into those before too; the amount of work it would take is more than I wanted to do. That's why I decided to use a different cluster that does use GPS for the speedo.
The oval ones look really nice, but I'd be careful before you spent the money; get as much information about them as you can to be sure it will work.
Looking like they'll fit, and actually fitting and working can be worlds apart.

You are right Coss:hail:

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You are right Coss

Nice save ;) And a far better choice; the "smile" wasn't necessary but it probably felt like it at the time.

The way I was going to approach it was to find out exactly what space I had to work with and use individual units that will work within that.
Intellitronix seems to have some very reasonable pricing on most of their stuff.
I was going to start with this kit Create-A-Dash since it has a very adaptable configuration.
The same company does make analog gauges too.

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If you're putting a turbo on it, you'll be putting your boot into it just for fun, and your gas mileage will plummet, say to 50 mpg on the highway. Damn! But what a hoot! I'm a sports car guy from as close to day 1 as I could pull it off. None, with the exception of my Marcos, were as safe as the Elio. But if you're not spinning up the turbo, the mileage should be pretty darn good. I wonder if it's possible to have a manual turbo cut-out, so that if you want to drive for mileage you can, and if you want to boogie, you can switch it on and dance.

The "cut out" would be the waste gate, if a manual override could be designed to control spool up re: power or economy.

As far as noise in cabin goes. Engineers can design noise canceling into exhaust,body panels,etc. If you defeat/change the design...you get the noise.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Maxi-scooters run 0-60 in the eight-second range.
250 sport bikes - seven-second range on down.
"average" motorcycles 3-5 second range.
Only scooters and really slow, small bikes (250 cruisers included) take over 9 seconds to hit 60mph.
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

When it first came out, I thought the Elio would appeal to motorcyclists. Now, I think the appeal would be more directed to scooter riders and economy-car drivers.

Not really a big deal. Riders whose fastest bike was a 250 would probably be okay with the Elio's acceleration. I agree that a turbo, or other horsepower bump would widen the appeal to a broader demographic.

This got me to wondering about my 2001 Cadillac Deville, that has less than 38k miles. I looked it up online, there was a listing of 7.3 seconds. I found that hard to believe. So, what would any red-blooded American male do? I took it out on a stretch of highway, had the wife hold the timer, and away we went. I was surprised from the motionless start, the tires spun a bit. Both times. LOL. First time was 8.93 secs, second time was 8.96 secs. Just an observation.

Top Bottom