• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Tucker...an Elio Design Precedent?

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tucker_Torpedo_Brochure_c__1947.jpg

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Dig the design, but sure wouldn't want to be "T-boned" by one! :eek: The front end looks like something right off a Greek ship [ramming speed!].

Just noticed the center seating for the driver. Fairly sleek design for the day. Nice find Jeff. :)

That brings up a point that perhaps should go into another topic, but I've been curious about it: With the relatively small surface area of the Elio's front and rear, wouldn't that mean in a collision the forces of impact are likely to be more concentrated? This would make that 5-star safety rating even more difficult to achieve and all the more impressive once they achieve it! :)

That Tucker is very impressive, indeed. Let's hope Elio Motors has much greater success than they did. I suspect they will. I think the Tucker has more in common with Tesla or Fisker, than Elio. The Tucker vehicles were not "vehicles for the masses" but rather technological demonstrations. I think Elio Motors is a safer bet due to the high-volume/low-cost model that's going allow a much greater presence in the real world.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That brings up a point that perhaps should go into another topic, but I've been curious about it: With the relatively small surface area of the Elio's front and rear, wouldn't that mean in a collision the forces of impact are likely to be more concentrated? This would make that 5-star safety rating even more difficult to achieve and all the more impressive once they achieve it! :)

That Tucker is very impressive, indeed. Let's hope Elio Motors has much greater success than they did. I suspect they will. I think the Tucker has more in common with Tesla or Fisker, than Elio. The Tucker vehicles were not "vehicles for the masses" but rather technological demonstrations. I think Elio Motors is a safer bet due to the high-volume/low-cost model that's going allow a much greater presence in the real world.
There is a video of the crumple zones of the Elio on EM website. I think that will give you the best idea of why they feel they can reach that 5 star rating. :-) Z

Top Bottom