• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "wait And See Club"

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many people really want to buy a new Elio? I've wondered about that for some time. Here's some fancy figurin I did to try and answer the question.

I have a website with over 14,000 members and I'll use the numbers from it to try and estimate the Elio numbers. Ok, if someone joins my site they can do it in one of two ways. One way is absolutely free and the other way they pay a fee that only comes out to about $2 a month. With the paid fee they are able to use many valuable features not available to the free members and these features make the site much more user friendly, functional and faster. In other words; it's really the smart move and well worth the money. They can profit greatly from being a paid member.

Of the 14,000 members only about 2% actually pay the fee and 98% are free loaders. So, here are a bunch of people who, for a pittance, can reap the benefits of the site (which most use every day) but won't pay a very small fee. Conclusion: the great unwashed public are a bunch of tightwads.

Then there's Elio, who wants people to pony up $100 to $1,000 for something that doesn't exist, and no one knows for sure when or if it will ever exist. It's absolutely extroidinary that they have taken 51,000 reservations! Based on what I've seen with my own site I think it is safe to say that for every one reservation there are 25, maybe 50 others who are waiting for the cars to appear before ordering one.

With those numbers I would think Elio should be able to get all the funding they need. I believe they, in reality, already have over a million cars sold but just don't have the money yet.

Time to get off their hind ends and start building cars!
Regardless, EM could have all the funding needed for production, but the Elio is not ready and tested. They do need to get off their hinies and build the 25 E series for testing. EM actually has the funding for that and no tangible evidence of progress.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Regardless, EM could have all the funding needed for production, but the Elio is not ready and tested. They do need to get off their hinies and build the 25 E series for testing. EM actually has the funding for that and no tangible evidence of progress.
"......... and no tangible evidence of progress" that you know of or that they have made public.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Regardless, EM could have all the funding needed for production ... <snip> ... EM actually has the funding for that and no tangible evidence of progress.
"Could have" and then "actually has". None of us around here have seen Elio's accounting books so we really have no idea if they do or do not have the capital needed. I sure hope they do but that's just faith at this point. Till we see the E-series rolling or the 100 fleet vehicles on the road we can't know for sure.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Could have" and then "actually has". None of us around here have seen Elio's accounting books so we really have no idea if they do or do not have the capital needed. I sure hope they do but that's just faith at this point. Till we see the E-series rolling or the 100 fleet vehicles on the road we can't know for sure.
That's what the millions in crowd funding was earmarked for...............building and testing E's. I hope it's on the books.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score

As a publicly-traded company we absolutely will get a look at their books. They will need to file something with the SEC in the coming weeks. I don't know their fiscal calendar, but most companies report quarterly.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a publicly-traded company we absolutely will get a look at their books. They will need to file something with the SEC in the coming weeks. I don't know their fiscal calendar, but most companies report quarterly.
Yep, I forgot about that, coffee is kicking in slowly this morning.

Found the SEC search tool and filings that are available currently.

http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-e...01531266&owner=exclude&count=40&hidefilings=0

I know nothing about how that stuff works but something seemed a little odd to me. There's two "SEC generated letters" that you can view, both seem to be the SEC asking Elio to answer a few concerns. But I can't seem to find any response sent back to the SEC.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If both of your assertions are true, then why do 98% of your users think your site is not worth $2?

Not knocking your site since I know nothing about it. Just knocking your assumptions and conclusion.

You think it's worth $2 for 100% of your users. 2% of your users agree. 98% of your users disagree. Q.E.D.

Bringing this back to Elio: 50,000 people think the Elio is worth $100 to $1000 even at the risk of getting nothing in return. Just shy of 300 million people disagree (cut me some slack on that one :D). That doesn't mean they are cheap, it just means they don't see the value in gambling on the Elio. Maybe they are smarter than we are, maybe not. I don't think you can assume that their lack of a reservation means that they see the Elio's value and just choose to ignore it, and a million of them are already sold on buying one.
We have no good data on Elio Motors name recognition, we do know there's about 300k likes on their FB page, that's as close as we know, some probably reservation holders, most just checking it out. They certainly are taking a wait and see approach. That means if one used 300k as the market they have 17% penetration. Which is pretty good penetration.

PS: that's what she said :rolleyes:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Books? Not something I care to see, too depressing, since EM's debt ridden financial statement is not a pretty sight. Only interested in hearing, seeing, and touching what should be tangible production progress.

Top Bottom