• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Worst Traffic Anywhere?

Trucker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Nothing can be as bad as Sepulveda pass 405/101 in Los Angeles, they just finished adding a lane in each direction and carpool lanes and the commute increased by over 20 minutes, I was in Boston in June it was a breeze compared to Los Angeles.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cut my teeth driving Denver. Good opprotunities to sharpen your observation skills. LOL
I've driven Atlanta, Houston, LA, and San Antonio during heavy traffic times.
Atlanta and Houston are a lot alike. Heavy traffic and evernone is a race car driver. The good news, they will give you that half foot you need to get in line.
Longest time vs shortest distance goes to LA. 3 1/2 miles, 3 1/2 hrs. 8 lanes each way even! The worst for me, I entered onto the far right lane, my exit was the far left lane. The good news, LA drivers speeding along at about 1 mph, are very nice and let you change lanes to get where you're going. (Or, maybe it was the old guy in the old full size cheby pickup smacking his head on the steering wheel?)
The most road rage award goes to San Antonio. turn signals optional..

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here in Minnesota, that's called a "Zipper Merge" and MnDOT's trying to teach us to do it:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

From what I've seen the education may take a while to sink in.......
I just watched the video that they posted. In looking at the 'without zipper merge' section, how'd you like to be the one guy that utilized the zipper merge when no one else is? Zooms right up to the merge point, thus ticking off a ton of people. It's a tough call..

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cut my teeth driving Denver. Good opprotunities to sharpen your observation skills. LOL
Atlanta and Houston are a lot alike. Heavy traffic and evernone is a race car driver. The good news, they will give you that half foot you need to get in line.
Longest time vs shortest distance goes to LA. 3 1/2 miles, 3 1/2 hrs. 8 lanes each way even! The worst for me, I entered onto the far right lane, my exit was the far left lane. The good news, LA drivers speeding along at about 1 mph, are very nice and let you change lanes to get where you're going. (Or, maybe it was the old guy in the old full size cheby pickup smacking his head on the steering wheel?)
Denver, I 25 during rush hour where the directional is perceived to be challenge rather than a signal.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Y
I've heard that driving in Russia is insane! The drivers are terrible, lots of road rage, and the PoPo are corrupt! So, many people have resorted to on board cameras...the best way to get a fair shake after an accident....or road rage incident.

Yes, those videos are unbelieveable! I have watched a goodly number of them over the past couple of years and I never can believe what I see. A really good example of an uneducated public when it comes to driving. Still, the complete lack of common sense and attention paid to what is happening is staggering. Just go to You Tube and look up "car crashes" and, unless otherwise noted, it will probably be Russian. Makes me thankful all we have to put up with as a rule are rude drivers.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have meant to mention this show on here before however it definitely needs to be mentioned in this thread. There is a Canadian TV show which airs on the Travel Channel in the USA named 'Don't Drive Here' which is really a lot of fun to watch and makes you appreciate how good we have it here in the states.
Host Andrew Younghusband discovers the perils and pitfalls of driving in cities that have the worst traffic in the world. In cities where most of us would hop on a tour bus, Andrew bravely jumps into the driver's seat alongside local cabbies, deliverymen and others who offer him a taste of the city's culture through their windshields and rear-view mirrors. Don't Drive Here is a humorous and white-knuckle journey into the heart of each city, where Andrew meets a local traffic expert to find out why driving there is so perilous in the first place and takes the local driving test to see some of the fascinating tasks regular folks must perform to get a license. Andrew then competes in a driving challenge, taking what he's learned from the streets and competing against a local professional driver.

The series is available to view on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/DontDriveHeres/videos

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Knoxville Traffic is not bad unless it is a holiday. With 3 interstates merging together for about 50 miles, 40,75 and 81 , combined with several state roads emptying on to that interstate. During a holiday rush like Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I just stay off the interstate and drive the backroads. My pet peevee is not the rude drivers, the kindness of the South. Some people stop dead still, on a main road to let someone in from a side road. Traffic bows up behind them, often further back is a nose to rear end coupling.

Top Bottom