• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

They Said The 'p(5)' Word

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They ask "Can you spot one of the main design changes in this picture?"

I don't see the hood pins... the mirror looks different and the car looks higher. I'm betting it's the hood opens from the front now...
Wiper is now covered. Side mirror smaller, and color cordinated. Wheels 15".

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see the hood pins... the mirror looks different and the car looks higher. I'm betting it's the hood opens from the front now...

while it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I don't see them changing the way the hood opens .... they will go the cheapest route which I was told is the way they have it on the P4

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
while it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I don't see them changing the way the hood opens .... they will go the cheapest route which I was told is the way they have it on the P4
You are probably right as they wouldn't have to have a secondary latch system. However, aerodynamically, it makes sense to NOT have the hood pins AND it shouldn't be too expensive to have them release from inside the car. They wouldn't have to have the whole double latch and handle under the hood like most cars.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You are probably right as they wouldn't have to have a secondary latch system. However, aerodynamically, it makes sense to NOT have the hood pins AND it shouldn't be too expensive to have them release from inside the car. They wouldn't have to have the whole double latch and handle under the hood like most cars.

they do have a history of paying close attention of aerodynamics .... I remember one report that they were concerned about the wind drag from the windshield wiper .... to me that's cutting it pretty fine .... they are also equally committed to weight reduction

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They ask "Can you spot one of the main design changes in this picture?"

I noticed the mirrors right away. I also agree the hood will still opens from the back, though there may be some small design change. I am looking forward to the changes. most will be minor. i doubt we will see nearly as big of a change from the P3 to P4 as we do to the P5.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read in a Facebook response from Elio Motors, that the P5 will be hand built, but 6-30 will be mass produced.
Even if they're mass produced, they don't have to have the same options installed afterward. I'm hoping they take the opportunity to create several potential loadouts rather than have them all be identical. It would give them an opportunity to test some of the options if nothing else.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if they're mass produced, they don't have to have the same options installed afterward. I'm hoping they take the opportunity to create several potential loadouts rather than have them all be identical. It would give them an opportunity to test some of the options if nothing else.
I,m sure there will be changes along the way, but that statement does imply the P5 will be the basis for the production model if they tool up to mass produce the the remaining prototypes, IMO.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BE CAREFUL WHEN PICKING OUT YOUR OPTIONS .
IT IS EASY TO OVER DO IT .

0696d496850843ef8507d1c9b272f378.jpg

Top Bottom