• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This "green Thing"

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A fellow "spend the most you can afford" adherent. I have found out that many things fall into that catagory. It saves money in the long run and even saves resources! It's a good way to go, you just have to get past the sticker shock sometimes.

With most things, you get what you pay for such as clothes, outdoor gear, furniture, clothes, kitchen gadgets, and tools. However, some things I can't afford or don't want to drop money on if I know I'm not keeping it for the long haul. That's why I love Ikea.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most people are still like this. For example, I drive a 25 year old car, and use other products until they are absolutely unusable. I spend more money on things like LL Bean clothes because they last for decades. I buy good USA tools from Sears because I can use most for the rest of my life. I use my nalgene reusable bottle, instead of regular plastic bottles, except for when I'm in the gym.

Yes many people waste a lot, but many, like myself, would gladly buy many products I never need to replace, even if it means spending more.

We also need to pass laws banning toxic chemicals in places like food and electronics and punishing environment polluters, as well as kicking corporations out of the government. The people are not the problem, since the problem doesn't originate with them
A fellow "spend the most you can afford" adherent. I have found out that many things fall into that catagory. It saves money in the long run and even saves resources! It's a good way to go, you just have to get past the sticker shock sometimes.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are some items I buy second hand all the time! My work shirts and ties for the office for example. I go to Goodwill or a store like it and buy a few high end shirts and ties for what many guys spend on one tie. They are an excellant value, I guess it comes down to what you place the highest values on, what you are willing to spend the money on.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We were so poor it was spelled with three ooo's and when we moved from "town" (Corpus Christi) to a 10 acre farm the large ancient wooden house had to be transported there. No air conditioning but oscillating fans dried the sweat. We had an outhouse for several weeks until a cesspool could be dug and yes we grew tomatoes on the mound. We used flour and feed sacks for clothes not because it was green, there was no other choice. Wore "canvass" shoes to school as could not afford "dress" shoes and those came off soon as I got off school bus. Mom threatened me and one younger brother (at that time) to not listen in on the party line phone. My reply "tell it to quit ringing". Dad was not a farmer and eventually had to get job delivering coffee and spices through out the valley to make ends meet. I milked cows, fed chickens and slopped hogs with left overs from meals (not to be green but to feed the critters).
A bit over 3 years of that life, dad got job selling Mrs. Baird's bread for $75/week plus 2 cent commission on each item in Baytown, Tx. We moved about every 6 months as income increased. First apartment was over a grocery store (a convenience store today had more items). No yard but a train came by every night within feet of the building and blew horn at the crossings just before midnight. Weds night the "disaster alarm" sounded on the water tower just past the RR tracks. Good old days? Yeah right.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days." The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment ...for future generations."

that's the point where I would have asked to speak to the manager on duty .... when he/she arrived I would have give just enough info as to why this cashier had just cost the store this sale and future business with from us .... I would have spoken loudly enough to be heard by any other customers who may have been close by and then I would have left the store ....

the above isn't hypothetical, over the years I've done just this twice when dealing with employees of a business whose attitude was such that I didn't want anything to do with them .... one involved a $40,000 vehicle .... I tend to vote with my pocketbook and when doing so believe it can only be effective when it isn't a secrete ballot .... did it work, I don't know .... I haven't been back to see

Jim

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With most things, you get what you pay for such as clothes, outdoor gear, furniture, clothes, kitchen gadgets, and tools. However, some things I can't afford or don't want to drop money on if I know I'm not keeping it for the long haul. That's why I love Ikea.

Is that because, as I've found on the last two visits I made, they didn't have the items I wanted in stock? Discovered after having waited to get served for almost half an hour and given a sales ticket to take to the warehouse section and queued again, not to mention the wasted hour's drive to get there?

I don't go to IKEA no more..

Top Bottom