• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This "green Thing"

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know where you live but I'm sure glad I don't live there. Our neighborhood is much friendlier and more helpful than that. The same with the people I meet at the Y in Roseburg. I guess I chose an even better place to live when I retired than I realized. As far as all the "free" things you are listing, you obviously do not know what you are talking about. :) Z

Z,
I don't live there either, moved from Florida to North Georgia to escape some of that mindset.

As far as the "free" references, I was simply voicing where we as a country may be heading. Maybe I got a little carried away with the size of that list.

When I use the term "we" I'm referring to society at large. The number of people who take advantage of the system, while not contributing back to it, grows every day, because they have been told that they can.
I think you may have missed the point. All of the examples apply, in varying degrees, to every community, but all apply as a result of indifference, bias or ignorance. The "Family" as a unit has drastically disappeared, with this fact in mind, I say that, we, as a society have lost a lot of the moral fiber that causes us to get involved. Involvement, with a grounded foundation in core values will cause change in all of our societal issues. That's my point. ;):)

Mike W,
Your point, "There are some that have survived in one form or another (not sure if you count the Amish in that catagory) not by ignoring all things not personal or family but by observing, using it and being in day to day contact with it (Amana Colonies in Iowa is a great example). The result? They sustain the important core values while interacting with the world and influencing it in a positive way". Is precisely what I believe, no head in the sand here. :D

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z,
I don't live there either, moved from Florida to North Georgia to escape some of that mindset.

As far as the "free" references, I was simply voicing where we as a country may be heading. Maybe I got a little carried away with the size of that list.

When I use the term "we" I'm referring to society at large. The number of people who take advantage of the system, while not contributing back to it, grows every day, because they have been told that they can.
I think you may have missed the point. All of the examples apply, in varying degrees, to every community, but all apply as a result of indifference, bias or ignorance.

There is also a lot of ignorance about the "free" benefits and who they provide for in this society. I am almost 73 years old. I spent most of those years working very hard so I could retire in comfort. Well, things didn't quite turn out that way, at least not in the way I had hoped. I live in relative comfort because my low income means I qualify for food stamps, subsidized housing and medicaid. Without them I would most likely be on the street or dead. I am very grateful to our society for the backup they provide for people on Social Security and VA benefits because without that backup we would have nothing. I don't know about VA benefits, but I have to requalify for my benefits every year. I keep every medically related receipt, record every medical mileage, keep records of expenses of things highly recommended or required by my medical practitioners - all out of pocket expenses I would not be able to afford if I did not get those backup benefits from our society. Yes, there are people who take advantage or abuse the system, but they are by far a very small minority compared to the thousands who do not. Unfortunately, those who abuse the system are the ones all of us hear about and therefore believe every one of us is taking unfair advantage. Another way we pay for those benefits, at least those of us who are not veterans, is we lose our privacy. Agencies have our account records, they inspect our homes and anything else they need to make sure we are not cheating you. We live in a fish bowl. You should try it sometime. Every time congress cuts our benefits or wants to reduce Social Security I send letters suggesting they try living on my income. I live where I do because it was one of the few places I could find that met my physical and emotional needs that I could almost afford. What do I give back? I give a ride to a friend who can no longer drive. I help a neighbor by picking up Rx or other necessities when she is sick. I water the grass at our apartments because it keeps our cooling bills lower in the summer. I encourage a neighbor to get out once in a while even if it is simply to sit outside and visit rather than sit alone at home. I also make a small donation to an organization that helps people who have even less than I have. I may not be able to help rebuild a burned house or raise a barn as my parents did when I was a child, but I do what I can. Now, if you will excuse me, I will go back into my fish bowl. :-) Z

Last edited:

Anion

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Zelio,
Fish bowls are not so bad as long as you hold your breath! I know, not because I live in one, but I get to see a lot of them around me. Life has its way of equalling out if you just do your part of swimming around like you do. You definitely do your part and I am happy that there are fish like you in our ocean of termoil! God bless you brother and when you go out riding in your new Elio, the sharks will take notice and be very envious!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Zelio,
Fish bowls are not so bad as long as you hold your breath! I know, not because I live in one, but I get to see a lot of them around me. Life has its way of equalling out if you just do your part of swimming around like you do. You definitely do your part and I am happy that there are fish like you in our ocean of termoil! God bless you brother and when you go out riding in your new Elio, the sharks will take notice and be very envious!
Thank you. Maybe you don't know that I am a woman but I can be your brother if you have a very good imagination. LOL :-) Z

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is also a lot of ignorance about the "free" benefits and who they provide for in this society. I am almost 73 years old. . Well, things didn't quite turn out that way, at least not in the way I had hoped. I live in relative comfort because my low income means I qualify for food stamps, subsidized housing and medicaid. Without them I would most likely be on the street or dead. I am very grateful to our society for the backup they provide for people on Social Security and VA benefits because without that backup we would have nothing. I don't know about VA benefits, but I have to requalify for my benefits every year. I keep every medically related receipt, record every medical mileage, keep records of expenses of things highly recommended or required by my medical practitioners - all out of pocket expenses I would not be able to afford if I did not get those backup benefits from our society. Yes, there are people who take advantage or abuse the system, but they are by far a very small minority compared to the thousands who do not. Unfortunately, those who abuse the system are the ones all of us hear about and therefore believe every one of us is taking unfair advantage. Another way we pay for those benefits, at least those of us who are not veterans, is we lose our privacy. Agencies have our account records, they inspect our homes and anything else they need to make sure we are not cheating you. We live in a fish bowl. You should try it sometime. Every time congress cuts our benefits or wants to reduce Social Security I send letters suggesting they try living on my income. I live where I do because it was one of the few places I could find that met my physical and emotional needs that I could almost afford. What do I give back? I give a ride to a friend who can no longer drive. I help a neighbor by picking up Rx or other necessities when she is sick. I water the grass at our apartments because it keeps our cooling bills lower in the summer. I encourage a neighbor to get out once in a while even if it is simply to sit outside and visit rather than sit alone at home. I also make a small donation to an organization that helps people who have even less than I have. I may not be able to help rebuild a burned house or raise a barn as my parents did when I was a child, but I do what I can. Now, if you will excuse me, I will go back into my fish bowl. :) Z

Z,
You are not one of those who I refer to when criticizing the "Dole". You said it, " I spent most of those years working very hard so I could retire in comfort". You worked when you were able! You, my mother, and most of the folks our age worked hard and through some twist of fate need a backup. I'm talking about the "thousands" on the roles who DON'T and didn't. I'm talking about those who get out of their "handicapped sticker-ed" Lincolns and walk spritely into the Walmart to spend their subsidies on steaks and Beer. I'm talking about the thousands of "Dead Beat" Dads and Mothers who count their children as assets and not loved ones. I'm talking about a society where children are not raised with an honest work ethic and instead are turned loose in neighborhoods to become miscreants. And, I'm not talking about any or all of a particular group of people, this transcends all boundaries. I'm talking about my friend George, who's real name is Jorge. Just as we did, he works very hard, supports his family and spends most all of his free time helping to raise 3 delightful children. George has completed all of the requirements to become a solid addition to our country, without any outside help. He has to look at his neighborhood every day and see a large number who don't. I'm talking about my friend Charles who has worked very hard all his life to accomplish the same goals as George, but has a large number of his neighbors who have children for a living. I'm talking about their neighbors, those here illegally or those who don't contribute, and that number is bigger than you think.
By the way, I'm on social Security too, I've had investments go south, luckily I can still work some to supplement my income.
My mother at 90 is in your position, as I may well be someday, soon. My Brother has ALS and exists only with Disability and Medicaid.
I'm done now, think I'll go contemplate my aquatic friends. :)

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Politics is stupid in a car forum. Big businesses get far more handouts and tax breaks for taking jobs away from you than all the freeloaders combined.

See what I did there? Political opinions are like that certain body part -- we all have one and they all stink. Keep it to yourselves!

Don't talk sex, politics, or religion publicly--it's an age-old, good rule we should be following.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Politics is stupid in a car forum. Big businesses get far more handouts and tax breaks for taking jobs away from you than all the freeloaders combined.

See what I did there? Political opinions are like that certain body part -- we all have one and they all stink. Keep it to yourselves!

Don't talk sex, politics, or religion publicly--it's an age-old, good rule we should be following.

Who said anything about politics, we're discussing problematic societal theories. Is that on the list? Oh poo, now I'll have to stop that too?

Top Bottom