• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This "green Thing"

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read all this,
Agree with some of it, don't agree with some of it, empathize with some, laugh at some and get mad at some.

The reality is.....IMHO

We can't talk to each other, we have to text or post on Social Media. We can't understand each other without translating into multiple languages. We dare not talk Religion, Politics or Heritage. Our schools are a joke. Our history books have been made so politically correct that they don't know the truth. Our news sources are either biased or deceitful depending on which special interest group owns them. We can't even shake hands and trust someone. We praise the dishonest, idolize the thugs and trust the crooks, while we laugh at loyalty, sneer at hard work and slander honesty.

Here's what we are really leaving for our future generations. Here's what each generation will improve on and then pass along.
We have been, "lied to, hoodwinked, bamboozled" and made to believe that we must be totally dependent on government.
We don't need to earn anything, we'll just take. The Imperial Ruling Class will provide.
Everybody will get a free "Handicapped Sticker", free food stamps, free subsidies, free healthcare, free education, free transportation, free fire and police protection, free WIFI and 500 channels of free TV. No more getting neighborhoods together to have a cookout, raise a barn, deliver food to the sick or clean up the highways. We won't show our kids to play football, baseball or the trumpet. We won't teach anyone how to sing, sew, build a birdhouse or act in a play. No need for Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, school plays, concerts, games or church groups, civic groups, clubs or organizations. No need for family dinners or trips, in fact, no more need for families at all. We'll only interact with screens to tell us what to do, what to eat, where to go, who to like, what to believe and how to live better. Why then, would we be motivated enough to, get off the couch, put down the smart phone, roll up our sleeves, go to work and save the planet.

We can all talk about the "Green Thing", technology and progress til' we're blue in the face, but they are only a means, not an answer.
Opportunity and equality are only labels, success and happiness only the results of positive actions or relationships.
Personal, family and community values and principals are what will either save or destroy. All the rest of this will take care of itself.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read all this,
Agree with some of it, don't agree with some of it, empathize with some, laugh at some and get mad at some.

The reality is.....IMHO

We can't talk to each other, we have to text or post on Social Media. We can't understand each other without translating into multiple languages. We dare not talk Religion, Politics or Heritage. Our schools are a joke. Our history books have been made so politically correct that they don't know the truth. Our news sources are either biased or deceitful depending on which special interest group owns them. We can't even shake hands and trust someone. We praise the dishonest, idolize the thugs and trust the crooks, while we laugh at loyalty, sneer at hard work and slander honesty.

Here's what we are really leaving for our future generations. Here's what each generation will improve on and then pass along.
We have been, "lied to, hoodwinked, bamboozled" and made to believe that we must be totally dependent on government.
We don't need to earn anything, we'll just take. The Imperial Ruling Class will provide.
Everybody will get a free "Handicapped Sticker", free food stamps, free subsidies, free healthcare, free education, free transportation, free fire and police protection, free WIFI and 500 channels of free TV. No more getting neighborhoods together to have a cookout, raise a barn, deliver food to the sick or clean up the highways. We won't show our kids to play football, baseball or the trumpet. We won't teach anyone how to sing, sew, build a birdhouse or act in a play. No need for Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, school plays, concerts, games or church groups, civic groups, clubs or organizations. No need for family dinners or trips, in fact, no more need for families at all. We'll only interact with screens to tell us what to do, what to eat, where to go, who to like, what to believe and how to live better. Why then, would we be motivated enough to, get off the couch, put down the smart phone, roll up our sleeves, go to work and save the planet.

We can all talk about the "Green Thing", technology and progress til' we're blue in the face, but they are only a means, not an answer.
Opportunity and equality are only labels, success and happiness only the results of positive actions or relationships.
Personal, family and community values and principals are what will either save or destroy. All the rest of this will take care of itself.
I don't know where you live but I'm sure glad I don't live there. Our neighborhood is much friendlier and more helpful than that. The same with the people I meet at the Y in Roseburg. I guess I chose an even better place to live when I retired than I realized. As far as all the "free" things you are listing, you obviously do not know what you are talking about. :-) Z

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Quick search turned up nothing like a tablet cover that looks like a brown paper bag!
How could these not exist yet? I think it's brilliant!
You have my permission to create and manufacture, I just request a 3% royalty. They're gonna sell like hot cakes, I'm not greedy and a little extra $$ in the pocket is always nice.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know where you live but I'm sure glad I don't live there. Our neighborhood is much friendlier and more helpful than that. The same with the people I meet at the Y in Roseburg. I guess I chose an even better place to live when I retired than I realized. As far as all the "free" things you are listing, you obviously do not know what you are talking about. :) Z
Oops, meant to respond to Dusty. I think it all depends on what one's definition of "Personal, family and community values and principals" are. I lived in the Philippines and those values in many ways are quite different from the values you are probably thinking of. Those same values are different in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America. They are different from even State to State. The thing is, the world is coming to America and that is more than just in the form of immigrants. Due to technology people all over the world are being influenced by what they learn. There are many values that need to be clung to but there are many more that are the result of our culture and aren't absolutes. The trick is, we need to figure out what those things are. If we stubbornly cling to things that change and shift from generation to generation (my parents were brought up to see the movie theater as bad, their parents saw entertainment as questionable at best) we become stagnant, dead and irrelevant in the world. We could end up losing the very things that are dear to us.

As far as ignoring the "green thing" and technology and progress, you do that at your own peril. The utopian communities of the 19th century all went the way of the dodo. They tried to withdraw from the world to create their own special place. There are some that have survived in one form or another (not sure if you count the Amish in that catagory) not by ignoring all things not personal or family but by observing, using it and being in day to day contact with it (Amana Colonies in Iowa is a great example). The result? They sustain the important core values while interacting with the world and influencing it in a positive way. You can ignore the world but it's still going effect your personal world like it or not.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sadly, like you I assume, I am an idea man. I have a ton of million dollar ideas, just no application.
Yup that's me. I grew up just up the street from a Dairy Queen. One of my favorite things? I would buy a pint of ice cream and some M&Ms and mix them up. Sound familiar? It's now called a Blizzard. Although, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that did that and now wish I'd seen the opportunity (Ok, I was just a kid but kids still come up with these ideas and take them to the next step). That's life. All these great ideas and no idea what to do with them.

Say, what would happen if you took the paper cover and then sandwiched a layer of bubble wrap between it and another outside layer of brown paper. Then use a small, thin bungee to hold it closed. I wonder if that could be made and charge a fraction of what a cloth cover would cost. Hmm, maybe it would sell. The outide could be drawn on and customized any way they want.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup that's me. I grew up just up the street from a Dairy Queen. One of my favorite things? I would buy a pint of ice cream and some M&Ms and mix them up. Sound familiar? It's now called a Blizzard. Although, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that did that and now wish I'd seen the opportunity (Ok, I was just a kid but kids still come up with these ideas and take them to the next step). That's life. All these great ideas and no idea what to do with them.

Say, what would happen if you took the paper cover and then sandwiched a layer of bubble wrap between it and another outside layer of brown paper. Then use a small, thin bungee to hold it closed. I wonder if that could be made and charge a fraction of what a cloth cover would cost. Hmm, maybe it would sell. The outide could be drawn on and customized any way they want.

I invented the digital picture frame! In my mind, of course... sigh...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom