• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This "green Thing"

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now, this green thing we were talking about.....Folks tend to believe that THEY make decisions about throw-away packaging. It is not really the consumer that drives these changes- it is economics. Those blister packages the Chinese put Everything into these days protect the item during long shipments, make the items difficult to pilfer, and are easy to hang on displays. It just makes sense for a retailer to like them, although they create tons of trash. Those plastic bags retailers use these days are very, very cheap to buy. I think many stores that still carry brown bag do to attract the patronage of those stores.

Anion

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thank you. Maybe you don't know that I am a woman but I can be your brother if you have a very good imagination. LOL :) Z

Sorry, hope we all on the forum can be brother and sister fishes in this fish bowl we call "LIFE"...

Lets all just enjoy our Elio's and swim around together! At 66, I sure hope we all can feel the love!

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Politics is stupid in a car forum. Big businesses get far more handouts and tax breaks for taking jobs away from you than all the freeloaders combined.

See what I did there? Political opinions are like that certain body part -- we all have one and they all stink. Keep it to yourselves!

Don't talk sex, politics, or religion publicly--it's an age-old, good rule we should be following.
'Political opinions'.... hmmmm. Is your primary objection about the fact that this is a 'car forum'? Lest we forget, we are in all reality endlessly discussing a car that doesn't even exist. Yet? So if we run a little off-topic from time to time, is that really such a problem? Or do other people's opinions just universally disgust and offend you, because they 'all stink' as you say? I'll just have to offer my apologies in advance because I am un-apologetically, hopelessly, and quite happily OPINIONATED. And I value the opinions of other people, especially well thought, well articulated, and logical opinions. "keep it to yourselves!" is YOUR opinion, and I dissagree.
To live in a country founded on the free expression of political THOUGHT, and rail against that very principle is somehow unsettling. I submit that, given the ubiquitous and pervasive nature of 'politics' it is all but impossible to discuss ANYTHING without at least touching on a political boundary here and there. Consequently, instead of perpetuating some social stygma AGAINST free expression, perhaps we should all work toward the promotion of a culture which VALUES the ability to openly discuss a touchy subject on occasion with civility and decorum, and maybe a little good humor. Come on people, we're not children, we can handle this!

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most people are still like this. For example, I drive a 25 year old car, and use other products until they are absolutely unusable. I spend more money on things like LL Bean clothes because they last for decades. I buy good USA tools from Sears because I can use most for the rest of my life. I use my nalgene reusable bottle, instead of regular plastic bottles, except for when I'm in the gym.

Yes many people waste a lot, but many, like myself, would gladly buy many products I never need to replace, even if it means spending more.

We also need to pass laws banning toxic chemicals in places like food and electronics and punishing environment polluters, as well as kicking corporations out of the government. The people are not the problem, since the problem doesn't originate with them

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most people are still like this. For example, I drive a 25 year old car, and use other products until they are absolutely unusable. I spend more money on things like LL Bean clothes because they last for decades. I buy good USA tools from Sears because I can use most for the rest of my life. I use my nalgene reusable bottle, instead of regular plastic bottles, except for when I'm in the gym.

Yes many people waste a lot, but many, like myself, would gladly buy many products I never need to replace, even if it means spending more.

We also need to pass laws banning toxic chemicals in places like food and electronics and punishing environment polluters, as well as kicking corporations out of the government. The people are not the problem, since the problem doesn't being with them
Good comments, JP. Thanks for posting them. :-) Z

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'Political opinions'.... hmmmm. Is your primary objection about the fact that this is a 'car forum'? Lest we forget, we are in all reality endlessly discussing a car that doesn't even exist. Yet? So if we run a little off-topic from time to time, is that really such a problem? Or do other people's opinions just universally disgust and offend you, because they 'all stink' as you say? I'll just have to offer my apologies in advance because I am un-apologetically, hopelessly, and quite happily OPINIONATED. And I value the opinions of other people, especially well thought, well articulated, and logical opinions. "keep it to yourselves!" is YOUR opinion, and I dissagree.
To live in a country founded on the free expression of political THOUGHT, and rail against that very principle is somehow unsettling. I submit that, given the ubiquitous and pervasive nature of 'politics' it is all but impossible to discuss ANYTHING without at least touching on a political boundary here and there. Consequently, instead of perpetuating some social stygma AGAINST free expression, perhaps we should all work toward the promotion of a culture which VALUES the ability to openly discuss a touchy subject on occasion with civility and decorum, and maybe a little good humor. Come on people, we're not children, we can handle this!

A voice in the wilderness, refreshing. Very well said. We do need to be tolerant of the honest opinions of others and the occasional dalliance into the dreaded "P" thing.
Thanks Carzes.

LonePine

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days." The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment ...for future generations."
She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks.
This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling's. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.
Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the
green thing back in our day.
Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.
In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that
operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of
buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a
computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.
Excellent ! And this "green" generation should not be ignorant of such details as those little TV's having a picture in black and white Only, and having to "share" telephone landlines, ('member party lines?) and if you wanted to read a book, going to the public library to find it, intead of tapping a few keys on your "smartphone" to see if Kindle had it, and even hearing about such a thing as a cellphone was decades away, and taking a photograph meant buying film and sending the exposed frames away to be developed, and ... but I'm going into a rant here. The gray haired generation has ENABLED technology and the civilization that invented it to Exist. Apparently for ignorant kids to have something that makes them feel good about themselves for being whiney little ... but there I go into rant mode again. Sorry. Hope to see you out there on the road friend.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Marks first company to advance to due diligence phase since program was revamped in early 2014

SOURCE: PR Newswire

TROY, Mich., Oct. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Elio Motors Inc., makers of the ultra-fuel efficient Elio, announced today that its application for a DOE ATVM loan has passed the first of three phases of review. Now deemed “substantially complete,” the application will move to the due diligence phase.

Elio Motors is seeking a $185 million ATVM loan to accelerate the company’s plans to begin production of its enclosed, three-wheeled vehicle in Shreveport, Louisiana, in 2015.

The DOE ATVM loan program supports the production of fuel-efficient, advanced technology vehicles and components in the United States. The program has invested billions of dollars in projects by major automakers such as Ford and Nissan as well as startups like Tesla Motors. Congress created the ATVM program with $25 billion in loan authority in 2007; the program was revamped recently and resumed activity inApril 2014 with more than $16 billion in remaining loan authority.

“While this is just one step and there is a long way to go, we are pleased that DOE has moved expeditiously thus far on our loan application,” said Paul Elio, CEO of Elio Motors. “With a $6,800 sticker price that makes ultra-fuel efficient transportation affordable to the general public, we believe Elio is exactly the kind of American-made innovation that the loan program was designed to foster.”
This was posted on the eliomotors.com website
Terrence

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score

We also need to pass laws banning toxic chemicals in places like food and electronics and punishing environment polluters, as well as kicking corporations out of the government. The people are not the problem, since the problem doesn't originate with them
A fellow "spend the most you can afford" adherent. I have found out that many things fall into that catagory. It saves money in the long run and even saves resources! It's a good way to go, you just have to get past the sticker shock sometimes.

Top Bottom