• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I know the door and dash panels are displayed to show where they go. I know the red sections are the colored panels under discussion. I know the dash does not have to be removed to get the optional panels.

I am talking about the ease of installation of the colored panels on the dash. Usually, components (like stereos) have fascias slightly larger than the unit so it overlaps the hole, covering the surrounding part of the panel in which it is installed. This gives it a nice clean look. That is the usual technique. If that technique is used here, it would require removing the unit, installing the panel, then reinstalling the unit. They may do this. It seems more labor intensive than what I believe they want the marshaling center work to be.
That's not always the case; I have worked with trim panels that have involved removing a face plate of a radio, and loosen the function panels (like the heater controls, etc.) The control panels angle through the opening, on the radio the faceplate covered the edges without removing the unit.
There are also head units (aka radio) that you slide a special tool down both side to unlock it, and it will slide out, no wires attached. There is a case that is mounted with a hot plug at the back, so the head unit plugs in when you slide it back in. Doing a trim on that is really easy.
The panels are most likely attached with either metal or plastic clips.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's not always the case; I have worked with trim panels that have involved removing a face plate of a radio, and loosen the function panels (like the heater controls, etc.) The control panels angle through the opening, on the radio the faceplate covered the edges without removing the unit.
There are also head units (aka radio) that you slide a special tool down both side to unlock it, and it will slide out, no wires attached. There is a case that is mounted with a hot plug at the back, so the head unit plugs in when you slide it back in. Doing a trim on that is really easy.
The panels are most likely attached with either metal or plastic clips.

I know you will have one trick interior when you get your Elio. Do you plan to change it immediately? Or a gradual thing over time?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you will have one trick interior when you get your Elio. Do you plan to change it immediately? Or a gradual thing over time?
Just like an artist looks for inspiration, I'll do the same thing. With all my vehicles I drive them as I get them and find the personality (any real car guy (or girl) knows what I mean) I have to get a feel of what it's like and what it needs and what will make it better.
It's after I start getting a feel for it is when I'll start changing things; usually within the first month.
As time goes on, it will continually be improved and "modified" as it needs or as I feel.
Here's a couple of pictures of an S10 I had for about 8 years; I drove the snot out of the little 4 banger in it till it spun a main bearing.

Since I drove long distance, I needed comfortable seats
Seats.jpg

And of course it has to look good and handle well
So I put an all new suspension (no, not bags, I actually wanted it to handle not pose)
Rims are 9x18 fronts 235r40 18 rears 245r45 18

S10 4-24-06 001.JPG

That is coming and going
During the day you can't see the light bar between the bumper and tailgate

S10-011.JPG

It had 2,800 watts of sound (enough to make your hair bleed) 2 - 10" Fosgate woofers in a custom box (130lbs) and 8 - Bose 2 way speakers spread throughout the interior (2 in dash, 1 in each door, 1 in each B-pillar and 1 in each C pillar)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You normally do cars or aircraft only?
Yes :becky:

Cars, trucks, Vans, boats, planes, Semi

I started my shop doing surveillance vehicles for a bunch of 3 letter agencies and Private Investigators, while working full time at a Upholstery shop that also did sunroofs, moonroofs, T-Tops, vynal sliding roofs and anything you wanted if you could afford it. No body or mechanics work.

Top Bottom