• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Double DIN versus Single DIN has to do with the height of the box space for the stereo system. Some vehicles have a double sized space like my Sunfire for instance that allows for a very large radio unit or a kit for standard single size radio unit and some sort of tray or space to cover up the double size hole.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
ha1558b.jpg

UncleJohn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
HERE IS THE TECH TALK AS PER MY EMAIL:

Interior Styling

Agreeably the Elio commands attention wherever it goes. With its eye-catching sleek exterior, to the unexpectedness of the three-wheel design, the Elio is unlike anything that has ever been seen in the transportation industry.

The interior space, specifically the interior comfort and design, is something the team has put equal consideration into. Everything from the instrument panel configuration to even the placement of cup holders has been carefully considered.
elio11_interior2.jpg

So, how does Elio Motors go about creating an equally memorable interior? From a top level, we started with similar design language to the exterior accentuating dynamic lines that imply motion even at a standstill. Taut yet friendly lines that convey a feeling of order and comfort during those long commutes and trips which the Elio was designed to accommodate.

Working concurrently with exterior designers, the interior design team had to create a variety of occupant studies to ensure comfort and safety for both the driver and passenger. These evaluations take into account a variety of factors including visual obscuration, reach studies for shifter, pedal and park break, side mirror placement and of course headroom. Other evaluations include safety studies to ensure we remain focused on engineering for an anticipated 5-Star Crash Test Safety Rating.

The $6,800 base price of the Elio will feature a high-level of standard design features found in the interior of more expensive vehicles:
  • Air conditioning
  • Power windows and lock
  • AM/FM mp3 stereo with USB connection
  • Steering wheel mounted airbag, side curtain airbags
  • Console mounted shifter and park brake
  • Rear mounted LATCH system for securing in a child seat
  • 3-point safety belts for driver and passenger

Additional items that are in consideration for the base model, but still require more research on pricing and production variations are:
  • A unique instrument cluster inspired by a Lord Elgin watch that belonged to Paul Elio’s father, as opposed to standard gauges that utilize a needle that points to the speed or RPM's. This design reveals such information via a window with a decorative solid surround
  • Contrast stitching on the black cloth seats
  • Painted trim bezels on the instrument panel
  • Three cup holders including two console mounted (one for driver and one for passenger) and one instrument panel mounted
  • Articulating visor
  • Three charge ports
  • Storage bins in the door panel and right hand console
  • A mounting point for a table and/or phone cradle at the top of the instrument panel with a convenient charging port nearby
Dakkota_Cluster_2_cropped_TT.jpg

Even though the base Elio will include a tremendous amount of value, comfort and safety features, some individuals that desire a more customized interior will be able to order additional options at the Elio Retail Center. Some custom interior options that will be available include:
  • Power seats trimmed in black leather
  • Upgraded stereo system featuring Bluetooth with hands free dialing
  • Door/right hand panel inserts color matched to your exterior
Elio Motors will continue working towards designing a stylish, modern and most of all comfortable interior. Of course a host of choices will be available to further personalize your Elio even more to your liking. Be sure to look to future Tech Talks for a sneak peek into what other options will be offered.

To me, this is very close to a deal breaker. I truly dislike this dash board. It reminds me of #5 from the movie Short Circuit. "#5 Alive!"
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT8NgTjlqNPATOEqvLCAE-oOcs5UILiDDEvPF9uOG3WgvAWy-FNg.jpg

I actually would "enjoy repeatedly throwing (this) to the ground!"
Please give us the choice of instrument clusters. Analog or customizable digital screen($$) would be a requirement for me over this "Lord Elgin" cluster. I know that you cannot please everyone, but do you really want to piss off your buying customers?

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To me, this is very close to a deal breaker. I truly dislike this dash board. It reminds me of #5 from the movie Short Circuit. "#5 Alive!"

Please give us the choice of instrument clusters. Analog or customizable digital screen($$) would be a requirement for me over this "Lord Elgin" cluster. I know that you cannot please everyone, but do you really want to piss off your buying customers?
I very much like the Elgin dash. I'm good...
Just remember, there will be MODs if someone wants them bad enough... And the saying, you can have whatever you want if you can afford it.

I personally like this dash:
4a62491c88d155ce10bb5d627e099a81.jpg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

welcome to the forum .... just wanted to make sure that you are aware this forum isn't affiliated with Elio Motors .... there are a bunch of us who don't care for the Elgin dash but the reality is, we have no control over it .... to Paul its a tribute to his father and he gives no indication of being the least bit flexible on this point .... many of us will be looking to some aftermarket source to replace it .... to get your opinion on this to EM, you might try their web page, facebook or some other such resource

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pepboys has a single DIN AM/FM/DVD/CD with backup camera inputs for around $100. Looks like a unit the Elio could use.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/832847/01036
Is it decided that Elios going with a single rather than a 2DIN set-up? Bummer if so... but I am planning on getting a Germid rear-view mirror / camera that also displays Google Maps nav data -- I've come to hate my Garmin. Voice recognition NEVER gets it right, while Google Maps gets it right first try about 95% of the time.

Top Bottom