• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
To the people planning on adjusting side mirrors to cover the area directly behind - which Elio recommends, the proper way to use side mirrors is actually to see the people beside you not behind you.
Thank you Zipper, I didn't realize they were so cheap, a license plate frame camera would be perfect :)

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:cool:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-Vi...License-Plate-Frame-CMOS-Silver-/121219486547
$_3.JPG

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck, these backup license plate cameras are good & cheap enough to purchase now for my current car :) I always thought they cost hundreds.

I found and purchased the following since I always have my iPhone in a mount when driving & will let you know how it works out. Given that it transmits wirelessly and gets the power from the wires in the trunk I expect this to be easily transferred to the Elio once it's made. This one was $154 with tax & S&H.

http://4ucam.com/iphone-android-ipad-WIFI-Backup-Camera.html

Last edited:

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Heck, these backup license plate cameras are good & cheap enough to purchase now for my current car :) I always thought they cost hundreds.

I found and purchased the following since I always have my iPhone in a mount when driving & will let you know how it works out. Given that it transmits wirelessly and gets the power from the wires in the trunk I expect this to be easily transferred to the Elio once it's made. This one was $154 with tax & S&H.

http://4ucam.com/iphone-android-ipad-WIFI-Backup-Camera.html
I don't have a stupid-phone, but aftermarket backup cams are like 50 bucks with screen on ebay.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw those, but I REALLY don't like running wires + many of those devices are ticket magnets in many states due to their large screens which police interpret as being DVD players visible from the drivers seats.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to go on record regarding the Lord Elgin Design instrument cluster. I don't like it. Analog, baby. I've had digital everything and although it is cool, practicality is lost on the instruments that require quick scans as you operate the vehicle. I don't have to know my speed or engine rpm to the nearest tenth nor do I want to take the time to interpret the digits.

The solution that I like best is the 'glass cockpit'. A display screen that can provide a video representation of analog, digital or a combination of both as well as virtually any other pertinent information. Since such a system would likely increase the cost of the vehicle by 50%, I don't expect to see one incorporated.

Just give me good old analog for all the important stuff and I'll be just fine.

Top Bottom