• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this Elgin design off the shelf? Will the sending units work on other clusters or will you have to get new ones for the cluster you end up getting?

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck, these backup license plate cameras are good & cheap enough to purchase now for my current car :) I always thought they cost hundreds.

I found and purchased the following since I always have my iPhone in a mount when driving & will let you know how it works out. Given that it transmits wirelessly and gets the power from the wires in the trunk I expect this to be easily transferred to the Elio once it's made. This one was $154 with tax & S&H.

http://4ucam.com/iphone-android-ipad-WIFI-Backup-Camera.html

Installation was easy and it works well, but it does have 2 drawbacks.
1) The license plate mount on my Grand Prix is just below the top of my trunk and the limited flexibility of positioning means that the closest object that I can see on the ground is 3 feet away. This camera really needs to be positioned below knee height to work properly for seeing objects on the ground. It is wonderful for backing up in parking lots however because my depth perception stinks.
2) Because it takes a couple seconds to power on I have it hooked up to the license plate lights instead of the backup lights, that means that whenever my lights are on and my phone's wifi is on, my phone has no data connectivity which breaks my Waze app. Yes, it is easily resolved by turning off the wifi on my phone, but I think I will be using another rear view camera solution on the Elio.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1) The license plate mount on my Grand Prix is just below the top of my trunk and the limited flexibility of positioning means that the closest object that I can see on the ground is 3 feet away. This camera really needs to be positioned below knee height to work properly for seeing objects on the ground. It is wonderful for backing up in parking lots however because my depth perception stinks.
2) Because it takes a couple seconds to power on I have it hooked up to the license plate lights instead of the backup lights, that means that whenever my lights are on and my phone's wifi is on, my phone has no data connectivity which breaks my Waze app. Yes, it is easily resolved by turning off the wifi on my phone, but I think I will be using another rear view camera solution on the Elio.
Great feedback. Thank you.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good info, thanks

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On another note, I hope all the exterior lighting is LED. For safety reasons I believe that LED is the way to go.[/quote]

:) it's coming: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...ars-next-instrument-panel-will-be-one-big-lcd
CadillacCUE003_IP-640x426.jpg

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LED's are cool but pricy. Can you explain the safety angle? Most of the dash in my wife's new Dart are a large touch screen and a 7 inch TFT.

Top Bottom