• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thoughts About Elio From A Pickup Lover

What do you currently drive?

• Total voters

cleverwise

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I work at the Hanford nuclear reservation in eastern Washington state. The site was constructed in top secret during world war II to produce the plutonium for the atomic bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki Japan to end the war. As such it was built 30-45 miles from the nearest community and that's the average commute. A large percentage of employees van-pool in vans provided by the local metropolitan bus system. Unfortunately I own a 100 acre farm 65 miles in the opposite direction (the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages) but I must commute 130 miles a day. For a number of reasons a large percentage also choose to drive the 60-90 mile daily commute from town.
It is interesting to note the various means of transportation. Geo metros and Suzuki swifts are almost a status symbol, as is the Smart for 2. Not too man years ago VW diesel rabbits seemed to be breeding like...Well you know.
The individuals who choose to purchase new SUV's, crew cab pickup's or large luxury sedan's every couple of years and use them to commute are almost treated with disdain. I know for a fact they are ridiculed behind their backs.
I see the Elio as being the next IT car, and can envision the sight of the commute from town looking a lot like the 60's when it seemed that every other car was a VW beetle.

Ah the self righteous small car owner. Those evil truck and SUV owners. I think smart cars are silly and laugh at them but I don't feel disdain for those driving them. It is their money and choice.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I voted Motorcycle, It best fit what I drive most, and I didn't know what type car my smart is.
I also have a cargo caravan. When I bought the smart, I thought I would keep riding the bike, and save the smart for rain and snow days, but the more I drove the smart the more I liked the AC and heat, and not having to put on the gear just for a 5 mile ride home. I keep the caravan for heavy loads, but mostly I use it as a mini warehouse.
I drive the smart when I need to haul more than will fit in the saddle bags and trunk, or in bad weather. The bike still gets used a lot. I don't know where the Elio will fall in to my fleet, but I know it will be fun finding out where it fits.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I work at the Hanford nuclear reservation in eastern Washington state. The site was constructed in top secret during world war II to produce the plutonium for the atomic bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki Japan to end the war. As such it was built 30-45 miles from the nearest community and that's the average commute. A large percentage of employees van-pool in vans provided by the local metropolitan bus system. Unfortunately I own a 100 acre farm 65 miles in the opposite direction (the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages) but I must commute 130 miles a day. For a number of reasons a large percentage also choose to drive the 60-90 mile daily commute from town.
It is interesting to note the various means of transportation. Geo metros and Suzuki swifts are almost a status symbol, as is the Smart for 2. Not too man years ago VW diesel rabbits seemed to be breeding like...Well you know.
The individuals who choose to purchase new SUV's, crew cab pickup's or large luxury sedan's every couple of years and use them to commute are almost treated with disdain. I know for a fact they are ridiculed behind their backs.
I see the Elio as being the next IT car, and can envision the sight of the commute from town looking a lot like the 60's when it seemed that every other car was a VW beetle.

Ross, another good comment about employment with the distances traveled for the career, the paycheck. Excellent comparison to what people are using for their now more fuel mileage vehicles and when the 84 mpg Elio is released how it is projected to be the next IT (autocycle) on your roads. My, my at 84 mpg, $6,800.00 the Elio will fulfill many persons needs for mpg to work! I am sure you have a site already chosen where you'll photograph your Elio in Washington State :)
Terrence :)

Top Bottom