• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Too Many Conveniences Lead To Distracted Driving?

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Minneapolis Star Tribune motoring columnist Paul Brand was answering a question someone asked regarding whether using cruise control at 25-30 mph would hurt the car. Of course it doesn't but the last part of his response was:

"Personally, I'd be more concerned that with one less thing to monitor and maintain, there would be more opportunity for distraction while driving."​

This really hit home for me as yesterday I traveled about 150 miles in my 1936 Buick Special. It has all the original running gear meaning manual everything. You need to have all four appendages active to drive the beast as well as plan far in advance to ensure you can make the turns and stop.

It makes me wonder how many drivers would be on the roads and whether they might be paying more attention if they weren't able to use automatic transmissions, power anti-lock brakes, cruise control and other features that we take for granted these days.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Look at deaths per miles driven. They are way down today None of today's aids take the place of driving the vehicle (yet anyway). A lot of the older stuff is very involving and a hoot to drive. I have to admit having a ride that starts at the twist of the key and service consists mostly of adding fuel and changing oil, well it spoils you. I don't take it for granted and love the new tech.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is no question about it. New vehicles are much better engineered and safer than the vehicles of bygone eras.

The one issue to think about with modern vehicles is just how far removed we are from the reality of driving them. The added convenience of power brakes and steering and even automatic transmissions certainly made vehicles more accessible and easier to drive. Add anti-lock brakes and traction control and things got even easier to operate with less skill. Gone are the days of having to know how to pump your brakes to stop on slippery surfaces, plan far in advance when changing directions (i.e. actually look down the road), or even be aware of the road surface to ensure good traction.

What I see with all these improvements is people driving vehicles far beyond their capabilities and relying on technology to keep them out of trouble. I cringe when I see all the stop light racers that seem to only know full throttle and full brake not to mention the people that hit corners way too fast. These people get used to this on dry good roads and when snow and rain show up suddenly it becomes a boom for the auto repair shops.

Now that vehicles cocoon their passengers with air bags and other safety devices as well as surround them with an overload of vehicle feedback, entertainment, phones, and even networking it seems like everyone treats the vehicle as an extension of their living room and forget that they should be driving instead of doing all the other things they do (cell phones, texting, eating, shaving, putting on make up, planning the kids next event, ...).

I guess if google pulls off their automated car that will be the ultimate evolution for personal travel for people that simply don't care to drive. As for me, I'll stick with my Elio with manual transmission.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not so much automatic transmissions, power steering and brakes that have sidetracked our attention, but the infotainment available today in our cars. No matter how much we love our music cranked up to 11, it makes it almost impossible to focus on the normal tasks of driving. It's been well proven that loud noises are powerful distractions, on the shop floor or behind the wheel - and they're responsible for a disproportionate number of serious accidents.

Add phones, texting, GPS directions, and all the other pushbutton toys in our cars, and we quickly reach the point of "task saturation". Then when a minor emergency occurs, we are unable to respond quickly or correctly. It's a condition well known among fighter pilots as a "helmet fire" - there's simply too much going on to process and normal reactions just break down to the point that NOTHING gets done. Sadly, the usual result is a smokin' hole.

I'm afraid we're quickly reaching those limits in our cars as well.

cleverwise

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do agree there are many distractions in a car. While they have gotten way safer it is to easy for a driver to take his/her eyes off the road. I believe the worst offending device is the smartphone. Sure other technologies like the radio, CD player, or even a DVD system can be distractions nothing holds a candle to the smartphone.

It is to easy to text, Facebook, tweet, etc and drive. All of this is easily preventable, of course, however it requires the use of common sense which seems to be dying in our country. I better wrap up quickly as to much attention is going into crafting this post instead of keeping my eyes on the road.

cleverwise

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree it is interaction. However studies are now showing texting (and Facebooking, etc) are leading to more accidents and deaths than drinking and driving. It is a major issue facing drivers on the road.

If you start watching other drivers you'll see a good chunk are using their smartphones. In several interstates in my area the cops love to sit and watch for people using their device and pull them over. They have no shortage of "customers".

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was taught to drive by my father, a high school history teacher, drivers Ed instructor and retired Army Officer. After 3 tours in Germany he was a very defensive driver. Rule #1 No distractions, no talking to the driver, no radio. Your job as the driver was to pay attention to what was going on around you period.
42 years later I still heed that advice. You will rarely, if ever find my radio on, my cell phone is usually out of my reach, my wife has learned, over the years, not to talk to me while I'm driving. I do give her a break from the silence on long trips and she will pop in a CD or we'll turn on The radio for awhile.
I won't lie, I have talked on my cell phone while driving but usually tell people to give me a minute to pull over. I have never texted and never will. I don't have gps, if I don't know where I'm going, I have no business being on the road.

cleverwise

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do think if you are in the front seat you definitely have an obligation to keep more alert if you are talking to the driver. I don't go as far as never talk to a driver or have someone not talk to me but I have paused when I am the passenger if the situation gets more intense. In my vehicle I have bluetooth so the car becomes a big headset. I don't text while driving. I'll just wait until I reach my destination or I have stopped at a gas station or something.

Top Bottom