• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Too Many Conveniences Lead To Distracted Driving?

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do agree there are many distractions in a car. While they have gotten way safer it is to easy for a driver to take his/her eyes off the road. I believe the worst offending device is the smartphone. Sure other technologies like the radio, CD player, or even a DVD system can be distractions nothing holds a candle to the smartphone.

It is to easy to text, Facebook, tweet, etc and drive. All of this is easily preventable, of course, however it requires the use of common sense which seems to be dying in our country. I better wrap up quickly as to much attention is going into crafting this post instead of keeping my eyes on the road.
Good points, all. A recent study commissioned by an insurance company determined that there has been a significant increase in accidents where smartphones were involved, and the majority of these were with drivers 40+. In another study it was determined that hands free cell phone talking does nothing to reduce the accident rate, contrary to popular opinion and some state law acceptance. It turns out that the reason is that your brain places a hierarchy on what you learned when. In other words, because you learned how to talk way before you learned how to drive, talking will ALWAYS take precedence over driving, even if you try otherwise.

I found that driving when concentration is critical, I turn the radio off. As has also been stated, driving like you're riding a motorcycle is quite beneficial.

When video screens first came out, they were prohibited in front seats. The introduction of front touch screens and the elimination of buttons I see as problematic. Too much time not viewing the roadway.

Top Bottom