• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trade War

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC is the largest BMW plant in the world. They only make SUV's there yet 70% of them are exported. The plant employs over 9,000 people. They have a program that works with the Vo-tech college where students can learn not just how to push buttons in a plant but diagnose and repair machinery. It's modeled after what they do in Europe for apprenticeship programs. In addition to that, you can pick up any new BMW car, SUV or motorcycle at the plant and go through their safety/performance driving academy . They also have one of the best teen driver academy's out there.

I suggest that if you are in the area, take a tour. BMW has done an excellent long term commitment to that plant. When people think we can;t build products in the US or no plants are being built in the US, I suggest you do some research. It's quite the opposite and has been that way for at least the last 25 years.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the day, an autoworker, steel plant worker, could earn enough to have a good life, without the need for a second income. Today with two wage earners it's not easy to keep up
The loss of, say what you will, union jobs, has decimated what was then the "middle class".

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm amazed how this thread has not gotten political. Hmmm, I'll try really hard to not go there either. Almost any detail on the trade fight which you might discuss gets that way.

If the trade wars start taking a toll, along with rising gas prices, I would think this can only help the Elio cause. Too, If EM would commit to an EV version/option for a price even slightly higher than the Solo (17k ??), IMHO, this would make them more attractive to investors as well.
Really and truely, it would not be hard to engineer/convert to a short range eElio. A longer range would indeed require maybe as much as a new chassis, suspension and body shape (more like mine ? hint hint, lol).

You can't simply put a big battery in place of the passenger seat, this would move the CG too much to the rear. A split pack with most of it in front and replacing the gas tank in back is much better. And not exceptionally hard to go AWD at that point either.

Oh BTW, I read that a good chunk of money will be spent on a new (Lucid Air) EV factory here in Casa Grande AZ, about 40mi from my home. All that despite (or because of) the foreign trade issues. This will compete with Tesla directly. So yes, EV drive is a game changer.

"The deal is stated to be confirmed in the next few days" (possibly today)

Last edited:

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm amazed how this thread has not gotten political. Hmmm, I'll try really hard to not go there either. Almost any detail on the trade fight which you might discuss gets that way.

If the trade wars start taking a toll, along with rising gas prices, I would think this can only help the Elio cause. Too, If EM would commit to an EV version/option for a price even slightly higher than the Solo (17k ??), IMHO, this would make them more attractive to investors as well.
Really and truely, it would not be hard to engineer/convert to a short range eElio. A longer range would indeed require maybe as much as a new chassis, suspension and body shape (more like mine ? hint hint, lol).

You can't simply put a big battery in place of the passenger seat, this would move the CG too much to the rear. A split pack with most of it in front and replacing the gas tank in back is much better. And not exceptionally hard to go AWD at that point either.

Oh BTW, I read that a good chunk of money will be spent on a new (Lucid Air) EV factory here in Casa Grande AZ, about 40mi from my home. All that despite (or because of) the foreign trade issues. This will compete with Tesla directly. So yes, EV drive is a game changer.

"The deal is stated to be confirmed in the next few days" (possibly today)
I tell you what, at least in the fancy drawings, that is one good looking vehicle. Price point is spot on for Tesla fans also.

They get a billion dollars, Elio needs a third+ of that. Come on man!

Lets go Elio!

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC is the largest BMW plant in the world. They only make SUV's there yet 70% of them are exported. The plant employs over 9,000 people. They have a program that works with the Vo-tech college where students can learn not just how to push buttons in a plant but diagnose and repair machinery. It's modeled after what they do in Europe for apprenticeship programs. In addition to that, you can pick up any new BMW car, SUV or motorcycle at the plant and go through their safety/performance driving academy . They also have one of the best teen driver academy's out there.

I suggest that if you are in the area, take a tour. BMW has done an excellent long term commitment to that plant. When people think we can;t build products in the US or no plants are being built in the US, I suggest you do some research. It's quite the opposite and has been that way for at least the last 25 years.

"I suggest that if you are in the area, take a tour." The way things have been going lately in SC, taking a tour of the plant might require a glass bottom boat...

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the "trade wars" will also result in better agreements between different countries, and not just for the USA. The real question for the Elio when they start making them might be the availability of the Japanese transmission. The rest I think can be made on this continent.

NOTE : edited to remove political commentary

Last edited by a moderator:

tryfly

Reaction score

My son (16 YO) had the pleasure of attending the Houston spring academy and I would strongly recommend anyone with a teen driver to get them into the academy ASAP. You can find it online under "Tire Rack Street Survival". It is sponsored by the local BMW club but you do not have to own a BMW to participate. Each driver is paired with a instructor in their own vehicle learning real world situations under a controlled environment. It was also a lot of fun. Please check it out if you have a teen driver...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"I suggest that if you are in the area, take a tour." The way things have been going lately in SC, taking a tour of the plant might require a glass bottom boat...
Is a stretch of I-95 still closed? Florence made landfall, what, on a Friday?
Sunday my brother started his vacation in the outer banks in NC.
The pictures show that the weather was great by that point.
NBC just posted this about the wild horses surviving.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...-Horse-Herds-Survive-Hurricane-494073721.html

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Used-Car Sales Boom as New Cars Get Too Pricey for Many. This is good news for Elio Motors, less expensive, more economical and the Trade War brought the prices up even higher.
Full story below.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...oo-pricey-for-many/ar-AAAvE9j?ocid=spartandhp
I don't see how used car sales affects the valuation/desire of an E. As we should all remember P.E calls it the "&".
It's not a car, not being sold as such, and will fit a very small market share. I'd venture a guess that most of us here the E will be a commuter vehicle, or the M.C we can no longer drive. There are VERY few that NEED a M.C.
Not too many spend 15-25k for a bike as a primary means of transportation.
It becomes more obvious when many of our discussions focus on trailers, roof racks, and "passenger" side rack. When all you can fit in the trunk is Paul's head ( easy, just a comment of a posted picture of P.E.) :-)

Top Bottom