• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Transmission

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's typical of what passes for "reporting" in the Internet Age: The information is incorrect.

The P5 will have a "multi mode manual", which we aren't really sure what that is. Some blogs have misinterpreted that to be a manual, and some have misinterpreted that to mean it will be the only transmission offered. Fact is likely neither is true. It's probably the automatic, which in Elio's case means an "automatically-shifted manual". The "multi mode" likely comes from the idea that you can turn it to manual mode and shift it yourself with flappy paddles on the wheel or maybe a push-pull stick on the console.

As I suggest in my signature below, always get the answers directly from elio:
https://support.eliomotors.com/hc/e...c-Will-it-be-available-and-will-it-cost-more-

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's typical of what passes for "reporting" in the Internet Age: The information is incorrect.

The P5 will have a "multi mode manual", which we aren't really sure what that is. Some blogs have misinterpreted that to be a manual, and some have misinterpreted that to mean it will be the only transmission offered. Fact is likely neither is true. It's probably the automatic, which in Elio's case means an "automatically-shifted manual". The "multi mode" likely comes from the idea that you can turn it to manual mode and shift it yourself with flappy paddles on the wheel or maybe a push-pull stick on the console.

As I suggest in my signature below, always get the answers directly from elio:
https://support.eliomotors.com/hc/e...c-Will-it-be-available-and-will-it-cost-more-

I agree: it seems like it might be the Elio version of an automatic and pretty much operates like one. It wouldn’t be really manual, because just as with many automatics, it just goes back and forth between M+ and M- if you like to “shift,” which humans probably often won’t do as well as a computer.

Toyota defines a “multi mode manual transmission” as a sequential manual transmission. In a Toyota it means a R, N, E, M+, M- shift selector and is an automated manual transmission.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saw on line today that only manual transmission will be available. What happened to the $1000 automatic?

Multi Mode Manual transmission is a Manual transmission with an electronic box that controls the clutch and shifting.
The electronic box will have 2 modes, driver controlled shifting and automatic shifting.

This is NOT to be confused with a conventional automatic transmission with hydraulics and torque converter.

The difference between a MMM and plain old manual is the addition of a bolt on box.
That's it.

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimode_manual_transmission

CE

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Multi Mode Manual transmission is a Manual transmission with an electronic box that controls the clutch and shifting.
The electronic box will have 2 modes, driver controlled shifting and automatic shifting.

This is NOT to be confused with a conventional automatic transmission with hydraulics and torque converter.

The difference between a MMM and plain old manual is the addition of a bolt on box.
That's it.

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimode_manual_transmission

CE

For us simpletons, does an MMT have a clutch pedal down next to the brake pedal?

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For us simpletons, does an MMT have a clutch pedal down next to the brake pedal?

Although possible, I have never seen it.
The clutch pedal and cable are eliminated and the clutch is engaged using a servo.
Then, in "manual" mode you are over riding the computer and telling the system when to shift.

Also, the "stick" shifter and the associated cables are also removed and the shifting is also controlled by servos.
The stick is replaced by a knob or button selector.

Indiana Dave

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
One question.. If the Elio is to be "all american made" it would seem that the transmission would be in use at this time by another auto manufacturer. I have never seen such a transmission although I am not the "all knowing type."
Just wandering that is.

Top Bottom