• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Truck Door Should Have Hatchback Supports.

Dallas

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Dear fellow Elio reservist. I love everything about the current design of the prototype. However just having the design of the trunk have the same design as a hood of a regular car seems to me not the best design to be had. I would want the trunk door to open like a hatchback. When you open it there would be a support system to keep the door open and when you were done loading you would simply close it like you would a hatch back. In a hood design the pole that would hold the door up would get in the way. Plus there is always the danger of knocking that pole from position and the door coming down on your head. So I hope the Elio designers see that fact and at least offer that as a option. I believe most would rather have that then a hood style design.
Dallas

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dear fellow Elio reservist. I love everything about the current design of the prototype. However just having the design of the trunk have the same design as a hood of a regular car seems to me not the best design to be had. I would want the trunk door to open like a hatchback. When you open it there would be a support system to keep the door open and when you were done loading you would simply close it like you would a hatch back. In a hood design the pole that would hold the door up would get in the way. Plus there is always the danger of knocking that pole from position and the door coming down on your head. So I hope the Elio designers see that fact and at least offer that as a option. I believe most would rather have that then a hood style design.
Dallas
I know the trunk lid will open more completely in the production model - or at least I was told that in Portland. I suspect they will have it open and close in a manner that adds the least amount of weight to the end product. I am just grateful they added the trunk because that was not in the original design. This is definitely a case where Elio Motors listened to their potential buyers and made an adaptation. :-) Z

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering this myself. How much extra weight and cost would an hydraulic lift add? I would like to get out the bag of groceries without worrying about knocking the stick out of place.
That's a real concern. I nearly knocked the prop rod out from under the hood of my daughter's Dakota last week. That's a big heavy hood for having no counterbalance springs. I think my family would have found a body half in and half out of the engine compartment had that piece of pig iron landed on me. Fortunately the Elio won't have that problem - with or without springs.

Top Bottom