• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Truck Door Should Have Hatchback Supports.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dear fellow Elio reservist. I love everything about the current design of the prototype. However just having the design of the trunk have the same design as a hood of a regular car seems to me not the best design to be had. I would want the trunk door to open like a hatchback. When you open it there would be a support system to keep the door open and when you were done loading you would simply close it like you would a hatch back. In a hood design the pole that would hold the door up would get in the way. Plus there is always the danger of knocking that pole from position and the door coming down on your head. So I hope the Elio designers see that fact and at least offer that as a option. I believe most would rather have that then a hood style design.
Dallas
Maybe there is a reason to wear a MC Helmet after all!

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
When I visited the Elio the trunk was closed, so I lifted it and my iPad was heavier than the trunk lid. You don't need hydraulics for this, the plastic cat fishing pole they are using now is easily sufficient - but they should notch the inside of the trunk to prevent the pole from sliding.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dear fellow Elio reservist. I love everything about the current design of the prototype. However just having the design of the trunk have the same design as a hood of a regular car seems to me not the best design to be had. I would want the trunk door to open like a hatchback. When you open it there would be a support system to keep the door open and when you were done loading you would simply close it like you would a hatch back. In a hood design the pole that would hold the door up would get in the way. Plus there is always the danger of knocking that pole from position and the door coming down on your head. So I hope the Elio designers see that fact and at least offer that as a option. I believe most would rather have that then a hood style design.
Dallas
Humm, a simple 'prop rod' has worked for millions of people over the ages. If operating one is 'too complicated', or you can't avoid "knocking that pole from position"....... perhaps you should not attempt to operate something a 'complicated' as an AutoCycle! ;-)

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In keeping with the stated philosophy of the lowest cost and lightest weight possible I would expect to see a steel pole to hold up the trunk lid. This is a company who is pulling out all the stops to keep costs low. They eliminated a plastic washer fluid reservoir in favor of a platform and a hose that goes into a gallon jug of washer fluid for godsake! I doubt seriously if the company would add the necessary reinforcement, weight & cost for hydraulic pistons. Nor is it needed. How much could the trunk lid weigh? A few ounces? It only holds a couple of bags. I can't see where you'd even need a pole to hold it up. You need to think motorcycle and saddlebags, not car and trunk lids. Otherwise you're just going to end up with another heavy, under-powered, over priced car minus the 4th wheel.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In keeping with the stated philosophy of the lowest cost and lightest weight possible I would expect to see a steel pole to hold up the trunk lid. This is a company who is pulling out all the stops to keep costs low. They eliminated a plastic washer fluid reservoir in favor of a platform and a hose that goes into a gallon jug of washer fluid for godsake! I doubt seriously if the company would add the necessary reinforcement, weight & cost for hydraulic pistons. Nor is it needed. How much could the trunk lid weigh? A few ounces? It only holds a couple of bags. I can't see where you'd even need a pole to hold it up. You need to think motorcycle and saddlebags, not car and trunk lids. Otherwise you're just going to end up with another heavy, under-powered, over priced car minus the 4th wheel.

A "torsion spring" built into the hinge, has been suggested.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering this myself. How much extra weight and cost would an hydraulic lift add? I would like to get out the bag of groceries without worrying about knocking the stick out of place.

About 3 ounces and $25, shipped from Amazon. 20 minutes to modify and install.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uhhhh, if you knock the support pole out and the hatch hits you in the melon, it should be the last time you knock the support pole out. You'll need to learn not to stick your head in the path of the dropping hatch if you think you're clumsy enough to knock it out again.

Top Bottom