• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trunk Size

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a number of ideas for additional storage space. Most of them involve the area around the rear wheel. At one time it was indicated the muffler would be in that area but since we now know the entire exhaust system will be on the right side and forward the area to the left of the rear wheel should be clear. A small, easily removable suitcase designed to fit in this area could add considerable storage without a lot of cost. Of course I'll need #8928 to experiment with to develop a design.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a number of ideas for additional storage space. Most of them involve the area around the rear wheel. At one time it was indicated the muffler would be in that area but since we now know the entire exhaust system will be on the right side and forward the area to the left of the rear wheel should be clear. A small, easily removable suitcase designed to fit in this area could add considerable storage without a lot of cost. Of course I'll need #8928 to experiment with to develop a design.
Sounds like the same thing I was talking about; suitcase=saddlebag same idea. Seems like the most important thing to watch will be balancing the weight from side to side. Also overloading the vehicle; once you have two people in the Elio, you're getting close to the carry capacity; depending on how they do the rear suspension you would probably have to add some type of "helper" spring or airbag.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A simple air shock should be all you'd need for a little more weight. Unless you're carrying lead bars there really shouldn't be a problem with lateral imbalance. Just a small compartment for a few changes of clothes and you're good. If that's not enough you'd be better off with a small trailer.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A small, easily removable suitcase designed to fit in this area could add considerable storage without a lot of cost. Of course I'll need #8928 to experiment with to develop a design.
OR, use that space to put in reserve fuel tanks. Intercourse that idea of "672 miles on a tank of gas"! Let's make it 1,000 miles!

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OR, use that space to put in reserve fuel tanks. Intercourse that idea of "672 miles on a tank of gas"! Let's make it 1,000 miles!

Really, a thousand miles! I can't think of anywhere I would ever drive where I couldn't buy gas for a thousand miles. And, do you really want to carry that much extra weight?

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really, a thousand miles! I can't think of anywhere I would ever drive where I couldn't buy gas for a thousand miles. And, do you really want to carry that much extra weight?
It'd be cool to say I drove mine home from Shreveport on a tank. (1008 miles)

14 gallons, around 100# total, would do it, with a little margin for error.

I am fine with anything over a 300 mile range, however. Seems that is about the limit of my range without a pit stop.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Really think you can go that far without a pit stop?
I know I can :thumb: my house to Spokane is 416 miles / 5 1/2 hours no problem; used to be able to do 650 on the bike (but that was a couple of years ago (ok 30 years ago). I would stop for gas, but I would never get off the bike.)
If the bike ride was a TT run, that came down to about 60 miles or an hour; which ever came first.

Top Bottom