• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trunk Size

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mike, I have a set of trunk lid bags for my Miata that was made by Atlantic Designs. I don't think they're made any more, but something similar should work with the Elio. Appropriately sized, and one above the other instead of side by side like on the Miata, they should work handily. (Oh, FYI, they were waterproof and came with a mat to put under them to protect the paint.)
I wouldn't place anything I cared about on the trunk lid of the Elio. No reinforcing, light weight hinges, light weight lock (if any) ... you could DIY all of that, I suppose, though the hinges might be a challenge.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Imbalanced weight in saddlebags can be a nuisance, but it isn't a serious problem. Just put a bit more weight on the opposite stirrup and you'll be fine until you can stop and readjust.

Seriously though, wouldn't it be better to bolt the boxes directly to the frame? That way there's no risk of things shifting or losing luggage regardless of the weight distribution.
That is part of why I said to attach the mounts to the frame structure; good solid mounting point. From the pictures we have, there are a lot of good frame access points.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is part of why I said to attach the mounts to the frame structure; good solid mounting point. From the pictures we have, there are a lot of good frame access points.
It seems to me that with externally mounted storage the Elio could get overloaded quickly with two on board. With only one it would probably be alright, but then you could put the cargo in the back. A trailer sure seems like a good solution.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Imaklhge1.jpg
Bringing back this concept for a second; this would actually be a pretty simple aftermarket product for the Elio. Thanks to the panel-on-frame construction, all you would need to do is replace the roof panel (and possibly rear quarter panels) with an aftermarket panel in this design. It could even be made to use the factory trunk lid and hardware for the rear hatch :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Bringing back this concept for a second; this would actually be a pretty simple aftermarket product for the Elio. Thanks to the panel-on-frame construction, all you would need to do is replace the roof panel (and possibly rear quarter panels) with an aftermarket panel in this design. It could even be made to use the factory trunk lid and hardware for the rear hatch :)
It's more than that; there are also two frame pieces that surround the opening for rear strength.
I'll go dig for the rear frame pictures and post them so you can see what I'm talking about.
If you did it just as a "hatch" part way down the opening (imagine the existing roof line) that would narrow that space.
You would need the frame pieces, both side panels and the new roof/rear hatch to do it plus the new interior pieces

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This pic from the recent Elio blog clearly shows how small the trunk is, especially in the rear, If you will forgive me, I like my design better....

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like yours too, but EM's is no doubt more aerodynamic increasing the MPG requirements.

Also, the 80% of the time we drive alone the entrire rear seat area becomes available for cargo space.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom