• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Turbo Retrofit Poll

How much would you pay for a retrofit turbo for your Elio

• $1,500

• $1,800

• $2,000

• $2,250

• $2,500

• Nothing -- it's not worth it to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drag0n

Elio Fan
Reaction score
i am sure after the Elio is released there will be performance mods released by 3rd parties that reverse engineer the designs. when the Suzuki Samurai was released, within 2 years there was a supercharger kit for its little 1.3 liter engine. http://www.pulleyboys.com/store/product.php?productid=207 so i am sure there will be various tweaks and upgrades people will do. I wonder if anyone will try and squeeze a rx7/rx8 rotory wankle motor in the front of an Elio. could possibly fit, but fuel efficiency will be dismal.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Price of s kit, will really depend on how much power you want to make. Tons of factors are involved.

The Elio's high compression will be the biggest limitation. Timing would have to be significantly retarded and high octane gasoline would have to be a must to fight pre-detonation at low levels of boost. Things like intercoolers or methanol help, but don't expect too much while maintaining reliability.

For higher levels, a high quality thicker head gasket or enlarging the head's combustion chamber or replacing pistons with dished type pistons to lower compression would be a must. Cool the air going into the engine, and wallah, you'll be breaking connecting rods and cranks in no time!

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I predict the acceleration will be fine but not fun. Like the 1.6L that was in my 2012 Veloster. 0-60 was in the 10s range similar to what the Elio predicts. Acceleration around town was fine but passing on the highway took some planning and high revs. Under normal driving it never felt like a problem. But the second year Hyundai offered the turbo that brought that time in the 7s range, about what I would expect with the Elio too.

Do not get me wrong, I think the cumulative driving experience of the Elio will be tons of fun, just not straight line acceleration.
ya won't have to worry 'bout passing if you are in the HOV lane :-)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This hits me kind of funny; here's a vehicle with a brand new engine that does a fantastic job of sipping gas; big enough to already power a lightweight , aerodynamic car over 100mph, that no one has driven yet; and even before they get a chance to for that first drive; are looking at ways to improve the performance by doubling horsepower, and killing the record mpg it was designed to do. :tsk:

Or by adding a "green" additional power source that may or may not keep or improve the mpg or the performance because of the additional weight.

The male mind at it's finest .......

Drag0n

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Males must tinker, and "customize" their toys (its the modern male version of pissin on things to claim ownership). we cant be like everyone else, were all individuals....just like everyone else. personally, i would like to see the option of a moon roof/glass roof (yeah, i know, it would be a small glass, but ehh, I like looking up. and i cant wait to see someone paint one of these babies up to look like a pod racer, its just askin for it.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This hits me kind of funny; here's a vehicle with a brand new engine that does a fantastic job of sipping gas; big enough to already power a lightweight , aerodynamic car over 100mph, that no one has driven yet; and even before they get a chance to for that first drive; are looking at ways to improve the performance by doubling horsepower, and killing the record mpg it was designed to do. :tsk:

Or by adding a "green" additional power source that may or may not keep or improve the mpg or the performance because of the additional weight.

The male mind at it's finest .......

For me, it is about the platform. The high MPG has no bearing in my wanting the Elio. I love small, light cars and the Elio seems exactly like the commuter I have been looking for. But I also want pedal-to-the-metal fun. As a commuter though, I also want reliability which is why I am interested in a factory turbo vs. doing it myself. That is being saved for the Miata :) The Miata will be my project/weekend fun car that can spend time out of commission while I figure out what I broke.

So until the Elio can replace my Miata as a commuter, my hot rod plans stay shelved...

Top Bottom