• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two Rear Tire Instead Of One

Bret McCarthy

Reaction score
The argument that 3 wheels have less wind resistance doesn't fly. I am saying instead of using a car tire, use 2 narrow tires that fill the same space.. I have to agree that it's just the company trying to spin it so they can avoid all the government regulations required for a car.. I don't have a problem with that because the regulations are stupid and an overreach of the government in the first place. My original question is still valid.. why not make it an OPTION so the person buying the vehicle can decide if they want to spend the extra money. I would be willing to do that. A side by side can cost $20k and they are for off road.. instead of making excuses why you can't. Think bigger.. show me you can.. . it wouldn't cost 20k, the cheapest new car I could find was 12k. I guess this point is mute if I don't need to get a motorcycle lisc. or wear a helmet.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The argument that 3 wheels have less wind resistance doesn't fly. I am saying instead of using a car tire, use 2 narrow tires that fill the same space.. I have to agree that it's just the company trying to spin it so they can avoid all the government regulations required for a car.. I don't have a problem with that because the regulations are stupid and an overreach of the government in the first place. My original question is still valid.. why not make it an OPTION so the person buying the vehicle can decide if they want to spend the extra money. I would be willing to do that. A side by side can cost $20k and they are for off road.. instead of making excuses why you can't. Think bigger.. show me you can.. . it wouldn't cost 20k, the cheapest new car I could find was 12k. I guess this point is mute if I don't need to get a motorcycle lisc. or wear a helmet.

What would be the point?? What would be the advantage?? The tires would be an inch or two apart.
I seriously doubt you'd be willing to pay the extra coin for a second rear wheel. As a minimum, the entire rear chassis section and suspension would have to be redesigned, but most likely the entire chassis would have to be redesigned to accommodate the rear section mounting. Having two distinctly different rear sections means adding another production line for the new rear section (assuming enough people would order this option), potentially the new line would be for the entire 4-wheeled chassis production.
Adding another rear wheel would likely increase the cost by 50-75%, assuming you and any others that opted for the 4th wheel carried the entire burden of cost (R&D, production line space, equipment sourcing, increased headcount, increased component count, etc).

Bret McCarthy

Reaction score
It's all about being able to sell these to a huge market instead of selling them to bikers that only want 2 wheels and usually a Harley on the side.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The "KISS" principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) definitely applies in this case. The 3-wheel/ reverse-trike design is inherently stable, significantly less costly to build, and yes, more aerodynamic. Proven nearly 80 years ago by the Morgan automobile & many others since then.
Let's talk about using 2 narrower rear tires...like motorcycle tires? At 5k-8k mile lifespan, you would use between 6 & 8 "rear sets" at approximately $150/tire + m&b = $325.00 per set, x (6 to 8)=$1950-$2600 every 50K MILES! :eek: This expense would quickly "eat-up" any fuel savings. And as mentioned earlier, this would require a complete redesign of the rear suspension.
Yes, "a person should have the option"...and we DO have the option. As you mentioned, there are already cars available for $12K, and you have the right to buy one, or as many as you want. ;) :D

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
price of car, not name, see your own quote

OP quoted: "the name on car caused by executive greed,"

I have no problem understanding higher prices on vehicles driven by executive greed.
Again ... how is the name of the car determined by executive greed? Simple question. I didn't mention anything about pricing factors in my post. Reread my post if you don't understand it.
As written, Velnias claims the high price of cars is primarily caused by the "name on car", which is caused by executive greed. I'm asking how executive greed has anything to do with the "name on car". Makes no sense.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really don't see your 'opposition' to the THREE wheels. Two TIRES on a single rear wheel; is still a 3-wheel vehicle. Adding an 'extra wheel' would serve NO BENEFIT except to gain 'automobile classification', which greatly increases price, would require re-design, and DELAY production. As for Helmets/License, there are only 5 states (out of 50) that still require helmet wear by adults in an Elio...... and by production time, the very successful Elio Motors legislative campaign will probably eliminate them. Also the requirement for a 'Motorcycle Endorsement' will also probably disappear by then. Even if does not, getting the MC endorsement is NOT difficult. Even being over 60 years old, I took the weekend 'MC Safety Course' (cheaper than the money I'd SAVE in the first month or two of driving an Elio). It was fun, educational, and I didn't have to take the written or driving test at the DMV...... just presented my certificate!

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really don't see your 'opposition' to the THREE wheels. Two TIRES on a single rear wheel; is still a 3-wheel vehicle. Adding an 'extra wheel' would serve NO BENEFIT except to gain 'automobile classification', which greatly increases price, would require re-design, and DELAY production. As for Helmets/License, there are only 5 states (out of 50) that still require helmet wear by adults in an Elio...... and by production time, the very successful Elio Motors legislative campaign will probably eliminate them. Also the requirement for a 'Motorcycle Endorsement' will also probably disappear by then. Even if does not, getting the MC endorsement is NOT difficult. Even being over 60 years old, I took the weekend 'MC Safety Course' (cheaper than the money I'd SAVE in the first month or two of driving an Elio). It was fun, educational, and I didn't have to take the written or driving test at the DMV...... just presented my certificate!
Well.... One benefit would be in the event of a rear flat... But, nothing worth the effort, expense, or irritation.

Top Bottom