• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two Rear Tire Instead Of One

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm for government safety regulation be it for cars, food, and, drugs. Do you really think corporate America is going to look out for you or
Just an opinion with no fact but I think Elio is actually trying very hard to Keep this in the motorcycle class. To classify this a car now would (in my opinion) Really change their plans, costs, and direction. To jump into the car category they would (I assume) need to explain the lack of front license plate, lack of bumpers, No third brake light, a Totally different criteria for the proposed 5 star crash rating (which is Much more serious testing for cars) and many more that others smarter than I could point out. A motorcycle is the least path of resistance for Elio for Many reasons. Again, just thinking out loud with no facts.
A three wheel narrow enclosed cabin motorcycle configuration was the only way Elio could ever meet his 4 point criteria for his new class of vehicle. Also, as a new start up company they don't have to go through all the additional regulations required of cars. With that said Elio would rather have the general driving population consider and refer to Elio as a CAR because most potential drivers are physiologically anti-MC and wouldn't even consider it a driving option. I think Elio refers to the Elio as a 'VEHICLE'. I think it's better to leave the design up to Elio and they will handle any MC endorsement and helmet requirements before the first Elio rolls off the assemble line. IMHO

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What? How does executive greed determine the name of the car????

Yes, the name on the car such as Honda, Chevy, Toyota, Ford, etc. With each of these names a major part of the costs is in buying that brand's name and what sort of reputation you've come to expect of that name. Now while the overall manufacturing costs have remained rather stagnant for quite some time (reduction in workforce, overseas manufacturing, more automation, etc), both the price and executive pay have continued to climb. So a good portion of what we're paying for with these large names is for the name itself benefiting the top executives mostly.

Elio is a new startup not interested in making as much profit in as little time for as few people as possible. They are interested in building a vehicle to create an automotive revolution. This a big part of what is allowing for such a low cost. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But the numbers are out there online for anyone willing to research it for themselves.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the name on the car such as Honda, Chevy, Toyota, Ford, etc. With each of these names a major part of the costs is in buying that brand's name and what sort of reputation you've come to expect of that name. Now while the overall manufacturing costs have remained rather stagnant for quite some time (reduction in workforce, overseas manufacturing, more automation, etc), both the price and executive pay have continued to climb. So a good portion of what we're paying for with these large names is for the name itself benefiting the top executives mostly.

Elio is a new startup not interested in making as much profit in as little time for as few people as possible. They are interested in building a vehicle to create an automotive revolution. This a big part of what is allowing for such a low cost. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But the numbers are out there online for anyone willing to research it for themselves.
I would agree that the brand name on the car may indicate profit motive eg. Bentley may equate to greediness by the manufacturer and the buyer for that matter.

I don't agree with your statement about Elio not interested in profit. He is marketing to the masses, which is noble, but high volume sales will equate to high volume profits. Elio has greedy Venture capitalists interested in a return on their investment. I also expect Mr. Elio would like some return on his personal investment of time and money over the past 6 years in development of the new people's car. IMHO

elio_curious

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What? How does executive greed determine the name of the car????

I believe he was trying to say that with the Reputation of a well known automaker NAME (Factory name - like HONDA) the automaker Executives can simply increase prices and put the Profits in their pockets, vs. a lesser known automobile manufacturer.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

$22,510 for a 2014 Mustang, $17,966 (inflation adjusted) for a 1965 in 1965. Those Ford guys really raised the price.... and added air conditioning, power Windows, door locks, 184 more horsepower, 12 more mpg, anti-lockc brakes, Am/Fm/Mp3 stereo, and keyless entry ... how dare they!:rolleyes:

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score

If this is what you meant to say, a 3rd grader could have written it more clearly than your first post.
I do agree that brand and reputation affect sales. I've been a Ford guy since the early 80s, but Toyotas I've owned had a much better fit, finish, and feel, and I was willing to pay a premium for that. The big 3 German brands are superior to other brands regarding engineering, fit/finish, performance, and economy vs hp/tq; they make the other brands look like Yugos, and are worth the extra coin. They cost some bucks to operate as a daily driver if you rack up the miles, especially if you don't have the space, tools, or skillset to wrench them yourself, but the quality and driving experience is worth every penny.
I'm sure there are far more people that buy BMW's, Audi's, and MB's simply for the hood ornament/emblem compared to those who buy them for the higher quality and driving experience. Gotta stay one-up on the Jones', right? Plenty of TV commercials to promote that.
The Elio is in the "just get me from point A to point B" class, they certainly won't be purchased for the driving experience.
As far as all the profit - heck yeah they make profit. My cousin was a detail guy for a Honda dealer back in the early 90s. He was good friends with one of the sales managers and asked how they could sell new Honda's for $1 over dealer invoice during big sales promotion and stay in business. He was told the dealer invoice included the total cost invested in the car, plus the minimum dealer profit. At the time they were selling new entry level Hondas for ~$15K, dealer profit was around $7k.

Top Bottom