• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two Rear Tire Instead Of One

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the name on the car such as Honda, Chevy, Toyota, Ford, etc. With each of these names a major part of the costs is in buying that brand's name and what sort of reputation you've come to expect of that name. Now while the overall manufacturing costs have remained rather stagnant for quite some time (reduction in workforce, overseas manufacturing, more automation, etc), both the price and executive pay have continued to climb. So a good portion of what we're paying for with these large names is for the name itself benefiting the top executives mostly.

Elio is a new startup not interested in making as much profit in as little time for as few people as possible. They are interested in building a vehicle to create an automotive revolution. This a big part of what is allowing for such a low cost. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But the numbers are out there online for anyone willing to research it for themselves.
VIVA la Revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have to look at the design intent, component and overall costing to compare T-Rex to Elio. At $40-60k vs $6800, not a good comparison. I'll be happy with it as a commuter, and I do think the Elio will be relatively fun to drive. I think the Elio will ride better than a Metro due to the longer wheelbase.

Yes, you are right about the cost of the T-Rex & the high tech components used. On the other hand, the ALE' (pronounced "allay") Used civic (SI turbo) engine and front drive-train, 90mpg, and IIRC a projected price under 20K, It was a real hot rod, tho not compared to the T-Rex.
I realize that in 10 years we may look back at the 1st production model as crude, but if the Elio becomes the success that I think it will, more competition will follow & we will ALL win!!

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you are right about the cost of the T-Rex & the high tech components used. On the other hand, the ALE' (pronounced "allay") Used civic (SI turbo) engine and front drive-train, 90mpg, and IIRC a projected price under 20K, It was a real hot rod, tho not compared to the T-Rex.
I realize that in 10 years we may look back at the 1st production model as crude, but if the Elio becomes the success that I think it will, more competition will follow & we will ALL win!!

I keep coming back to this, but I feel it is key: The (4) pillars of Paul Elio's concept all inter-relate: Cost,content,safety,mileage.
If one of these is compromised the concepts' ability to carry the other three is weakened. Thus the ELio maxim: If a part, or an idea,
cost,or source, doesn't positively fit the (4) pillars it is not implemented.............so far as I can tell they are sticking to their plan. :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking sooner or later somebody will pimp their Elio ride with a dually rear wheel, rear fenders, and add a Turbo option for high performance. Could be cool!!
image.jpg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking sooner or later somebody will pimp their Elio ride with a dually rear wheel, rear fenders, and add a Turbo option for high performance. Could be cool!!
View attachment 999

That looks AWESOME! But looking closer at the pic you'll notice the "down side" to mc tires on a vehicle that does not lean. The tires wear "flat across", meaning they will wear out very fast. Notice too, the contact patch is very small, so even with two tires, adhesion to the road will be less than with a single car tire.
As for the "pimping"& a turbo...I am SURE that will happen sooner than later :cool: :cool:. I love the Photoshopped custom paint pics I've been seeing, too!!

Top Bottom