• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Under The P5 Hood

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The best refinement they could do is take it out of the Elio and throw it in the trash. Sorry, I just can't stand that cluster, one of the worst I have ever seen in a vehicle at any time, make or model of vehicle.

I'm pretty sure I don't like it, but I'll wait until it's been in the driveway for a few weeks before I finalize that opinion. Even if it's crap, I am hoping the aftermarket people come out with several options (all digital for me!) for me to replace it with. I was perfectly happy with the Geo dash in the P4.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
so a couple more things that kind of have me scratching my head...

Oil dipstick - It's bent! Keeps it away from the headers, but just seems like it will be awkward to pull/insert. Why not angle the tube away from the headers?

Hood springs - near the front hinge, what are those two springs for? They look too weak to add much resistance, and do they rub directly on the carbon fiber? That can't be good.

Hood stand - Yeah, I get it, not much room to work with and the hood is probably not that heavy, so a big square notch probably isn't a big deal, but it sure looks strange. I hope they can move the reservoirs out a bit and straighten this out so it goes behind them, but not a big deal. A nice smooth curved rod that runs along the hood latch support seems like a no-brainer.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
so a couple more things that kind of have me scratching my head...

Oil dipstick - It's bent! Keeps it away from the headers, but just seems like it will be awkward to pull/insert. Why not angle the tube away from the headers?

Hood springs - near the front hinge, what are those two springs for? They look too weak to add much resistance, and do they rub directly on the carbon fiber? That can't be good.

Hood stand - Yeah, I get it, not much room to work with and the hood is probably not that heavy, so a big square notch probably isn't a big deal, but it sure looks strange. I hope they can move the reservoirs out a bit and straighten this out so it goes behind them, but not a big deal. A nice smooth curved rod that runs along the hood latch support seems like a no-brainer.
You might want to go over to the "LA Show ...... Gimmie input" and read the entry that Karnaj just posted; it addresses your questions. Goofyone has the same type answers in a number of other threads, that also address your questions.
In short; Remember the P in P5 stands for prototype, not the finished model.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other than saying "Remember this is a prototype" it doesn't appear to answer any of my questions. Did I miss something?

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other than saying "Remember this is a prototype" it doesn't appear to answer any of my questions. Did I miss something?
No you didn't miss anything KenK. Coss was directing you there as I think a fair amount of information can be had there. Also, G1s photo gallery is well worth a look. I can't answer any of your questions directly but I did take a photo of the hood spring assembly you may be interested in. Keep an eye on the previously mentioned thread, my photos will appear there.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The hood is probably fairly light. A small 15" prop rod, placed in the right location would maybe hold it up at the proper height for dong work on the vehicle.
(That is the size of the prop rod on my G1 which has an alum. hood, but it opens the "other way".
For testing and evaluation the small changes don't need to be implemented.

Willie

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I don't like it, but I'll wait until it's been in the driveway for a few weeks before I finalize that opinion. Even if it's crap, I am hoping the aftermarket people come out with several options (all digital for me!) for me to replace it with. I was perfectly happy with the Geo dash in the P4.
Geo dash? I thought that was a leftover Messerschmitt part...:rolleyes:

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No you didn't miss anything KenK. Coss was directing you there as I think a fair amount of information can be had there. Also, G1s photo gallery is well worth a look. I can't answer any of your questions directly but I did take a photo of the hood spring assembly you may be interested in. Keep an eye on the previously mentioned thread, my photos will appear there.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great thread! Very enlightening thanks to you and G1! ;)

I think G1's photos are where most of my questions are coming from! :D

I'm not really expecting answers, just musing aloud and wondering what others think.

Top Bottom