• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Union Shop

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the answer I have received also. We will see what the unions do as I am sure they will try to unionize the workers so it will be ultimately up to the workers to decide.
Thanks, goofy. Let's hope that the workers do NOT want to unionize. . . . . ., but not too sure about some Louisiana's work ethics. Certainly are NOT what they used to be.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some unions are good and others are bad. The UAW seems to fall on the bad side of things with all the publicity they recently received when GM and Chrysler almost collapsed. They were not a direct cause but when it came to trying to save the companies they wanted to give up nothing. We had a Ford F-150 plant in our area that closed down some time ago and my friend was a non-union supervisor who shared some very interesting and somewhat disturbing facts with me about the UAW. Hopefully things and the UAW culture has changed but who knows. His particular function on the line required 16 people to run. He needed to keep 21 people on the rolls to account for call ins. His shift started at midnight Sunday night after a one day maintenance shutdown. The line started on time again about 50% of the time due to call ins (sick). His line shut down for several hours one day because a nut and bolt came loose from some conveyor component and everyone refused to tighten it back up because that was the job of the union mechanic who wasn’t there that day. Ford lost 2-3 hours of production until they called a mechanic in to tighten it while the assembly line workers went on break.
These represent probably a very small portion of common union complaints that are out there without mentioning some of the ridicules financial concessions in their contracts. To me, some of these unions appear to have found a loophole into legalized extortion.
On the good side there is a mason union in some large city that is so highly sought after because of the quality of their work you have to schedule them about a year out and pay more for their service. Their members self-police their ranks and anyone who does something that could tarnish their image is out.
I totally agree with you! My brother works in a union shop. It wasn't union 35 years ago when he started there, but went union about nine years ago. Their production is down because of poor management and the accepted attitudes of the workers.

It's a very sad state of affairs that this country has fallen into.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
of the many appealing features of the elio vehicle, one was, it being constructed in a right to work state, so the unions couldn't come in and extort the management, corrupt the workers and drive the price out of practical purchasing range. can't say it'll never happen but paul could would never reach his planned $6800.00 selling price if they did. besides, the uaw has been proven to be a front for one of the bigger fund raising fronts for the dnc as are most unions.
WOW, gold wing, YOU ROCK!

Spot on, brother!

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great companies that respect their workers do not need unions. Give the employee the opportunity to advance based on his/ her contribution and you eliminate the non- productive ones. Good workers enjoy working with others who work hard and are committed to the company. Pay for performance, not longevity.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only good union I had heard of was the one my Dad was part of while working at DuPont. As I understand it was an "in house" union made up of the employees of that plant. As far as I ever heard, there were no problems and probably really good communications between workers and management. It wasn't until the Baby Boomers started arriving that more demands along the lines of AFL-CIO were being made. Fortunately, there were still enough of the older generation who knew they had a good thing going and were able to override those demands. Unfortunately for my Dad, he worked in a plant that made celophane! The plant closed, he took early retirement and got a pretty good pension out of it, one that is still helping him. He just turned 88 and he's looking forward to completing 89 and beyond!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, goofy. Let's hope that the workers do NOT want to unionize. . . . . ., but not too sure about some Louisiana's work ethics. Certainly are NOT what they used to be.
Auto workers may be very happy to just get back to work and work to Elio standards. Hopefully, EM will treat Employees fairly enough to not worry about a union or non-union work environment. Perhaps some profit sharing and or stock options to give them ownership and make them feel part of the company. After all they seem genuinely interested in future owners........why not future employees.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom