• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Us Senator Vitter Introduces Autocycle Safety Act - S.685

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is huge and yes EM is behind this effort. The safety standards is interesting however the really big news to me is changing the CAFE rules which would allow EM to sell credits.
upload_2015-3-11_12-6-1.jpeg
$$$ Cha! ching!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Popped up on ElioMotors.com now:

Senator David Vitter Press Release – Vitter Legislation Creates Safety Standards for Autocycles
March 11, 2015

Vitter Legislation Creates Safety Standards for Autocycles

March 11, 2015

SOURCE: U.S. Senator David Vitter

(Washington, D.C.) – U.S. Senator David Vitter (R-La.) today introduced the Autocycle Safety Act, which creates the new classification “autocycle” for enclosed motor vehicles with three wheels. Vitter’s legislation would set standards for autocycles under safety rules and the Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards. Currently 26 states have enacted or are currently developing classifications for enclosed, three-wheeled vehicles as autocycles at the state level, including Louisiana.

“Creating this recognition for autocycles will ensure their safety, create jobs, and encourage the same entrepreneurial spirit that created motor vehicles and motor cycles,” Vitter said. “This update to an outdated law will also help spur job creation in Louisiana, since Elio Motors has selected Shreveport for their manufacturing plant, and it will also ensure that imported vehicles of similar types will be covered by the same safety standards that domestic manufacturers will follow.”

“Not only will Senator Vitter’s legislation provide consistency across all jurisdictions, but it strongly supports his efforts to bring jobs back to the Shreveport area,” said Elio Motors founder and CEO Paul Elio. “We are thrilled at Senator Vitter’s efforts recognizing the need for a new classification of innovative, ultra-efficient platforms like the Elio Autocycle.”

Elio Motors Inc., founded in 2008, will manufacture a three-wheeled vehicle that will get up to 84 MPG, and the company already taken more than 40,000 reservations for its vehicle. Elio’s first manufacturing site will be in Shreveport, La., and it will create 1500 manufacturing jobs in northwest Louisiana.

http://www.eliomotors.com/senator-d...tion-creates-safety-standards-for-autocycles/

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Prognosis
7% chance of getting past committee.
2% chance of being enacted.
Only 11% of bills made it past committee and only about 3% were enacted in 2011–2013. [show factors | methodology]

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s685

We will have to see how hard it is pushed by Senator Vitter as that is normally the real deciding factor. The raw numbers get skewed as I know from experience that most bills are introduced as something for lawmakeres to brag about to their constituents without actually really pushing for their passing.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Prognosis
7% chance of getting past committee.
2% chance of being enacted.
Only 11% of bills made it past committee and only about 3% were enacted in 2011–2013. [show factors | methodology]

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s685
Yup, that's why I already sent off letters to my Congressional delegates to support the bill, and remind them I had advocated for Elio to receive the ATVM loan, and pointed out Maine has it's own bill to address the use autocycles.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We will have to see how hard it is pushed by Senator Vitter as that is normally the real deciding factor. The raw numbers get skewed as I know from experience that most bills are introduced as something for lawmakeres to brag about to their constituents without actually really pushing for their passing.
Oh, I know. Plus, it doesn't hurt that this bill doesn't take much funding to push through or require anyone to take cuts or raise taxes. You don't want to be the Congressman who "voted against 1,500 jobs in Shreveport" or "Killed the 84 MPG affordable car".

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I know. Plus, it doesn't hurt that this bill doesn't take much funding to push through or require anyone to take cuts or raise taxes. You don't want to be the Congressman who "voted against 1,500 jobs in Shreveport" or "Killed the 84 MPG affordable car".
84 mpg conventional fuel affordable car :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's figure out how to support, promote, cajole if need be, and get this bill passed and signed into law.
Ahead of you.
Go here: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s685
Click on "Call Congress"
Click on "I support this bill"
Follow directions (including an example of how the conversation will most likely go)
You'll be contacting your congressman but there are several on the committee and the more who are familiar with the issue, the more likely they'll be ready to support it.

wjdom

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Of course my mind is running wild with scenarios, such as, is this in advance of news from DOE? Does Vitter want to cash in on something he knows is coming to LA?
Could be cashing in on publicity, He is running for Governor. But I must say he has been a straight shooter, with the exception of a high profile scandal involving a lady of the night. He and his wife have seemed to worked that out. Most of us in La. have seen that before ....

Top Bottom