• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Us Yankees

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seeing as most cars have (ruffly) a 60/40 weight distribution, maybe 55/45... IIRC, the Elio is supposed to be about 70/30, I think performance in "light" snow or "hardpacked" conditions will be above average. But, as was mentioned, deeper snow where the middle is piled up WILL cause more drag and unusual handling. Yes, leave it at home and drive the "other" vehicle!
As for snow chains...THESE look like they work AWESOME!

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
For us within the snow belt, in all honesty how do you think the Eliot will fair in the white stuff?
Do you think snow tires are an option?

I must admit, one thing I haven't thought about a lot, is that back tire and what it might have to deal with when it comes to snow and the cold. There could be no track in fluffy white snow, there could be frozen crunching ruts (that the two front tires have to navigate at times too). Will probably hear the snow and ruts a bit more than with a 4-wheeled car. But I would think... if the "normal" tracks on the outside are reasonably clear, there should be no slipping and sliding even if there's ice in the middle.

Will that back tire take a bit more abuse in the manner of ice, rocks, sand, other debris? Sure. Will be interesting to see how that tire holds up, if it will go through some design changes, will it be more expensive to order than each of the front tires, etc. Most likely, is the design today, of the back tire, different and specific for an Elio?

Reactions: Hog

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, very interesting. Here are my first impressions, having never seen the Tango before:
  • Looks like it's gonna tip over.
  • I want to research it more, but not for me to buy, just to learn about it. Do I want one? No.
  • I assume it's in the concept stage; those numbers the guy was spouting off, I assume were "if money was no object".
  • Sounds like it's electric, so cost is above average for a 4-door sedan. But it's too much money for the average person.
Absolutely boring vehicle. It's nothing more than 2 off the shelf motors. It looks like 2 bugs copulating. Go back and look again and you'll see what I mean. It even sounds orgasmic as it proceeds up the hill. LOL LIttle known secret; gasoline is far more power dense than the present state of electrics. Diesels even denser. Get back to me after you've seen what an electric looks like when the batteries get damaged in a finder bender. The Tata Motors compressed air car, well maybe you aught to research that one.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how that tire holds up, if it will go through some design changes, will it be more expensive to order than each of the front tires, etc. Most likely, is the design today, of the back tire, different and specific for an Elio?
Jay Leno says about his three wheelers, "Impossible to miss bumps in the road." Also you would encounter the oil-pool that leaky engines leave. However, the modern engine typically leaves a lot less oil on the ground than it had in the past. As far as winter is concerned, if it's a problem a studded tire will likely be very effective. But you should have no more problems than any 4 wheel car. Except for having to make your own track when following 4 wheelers. But hey! There will be soooo many Elios around in the snow you won't have to make your own tracks!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting information from www.commutercars.com, on the Tango:
  • You can buy the Tango T600 right now for $200,000, *cough*, for European and "other foreign markets"
  • You can buy the Tango T600 for the U.S. and Canada (eh?) as a kit car, but WITHOUT the drivetrain and battery, which can "easily be purchased from our suppliers". The total of the kit and all other parts? $200,000.
  • Reminds me of "Clear and Present Danger", when Jack Ryan was trying to buy the Huey helicopter in the South American jungle. "How much?" "Two million dollars." "What if I wanted to take it for a test drive, can I put a deposit down? How much?" "Two million dollars." lol
  • OH! There is a way to get a discount... you put down $10,000, wait until there are 10 orders... then you put $80,000 down and they'll start that batch of 10. Cost of your one vehicle: all the way down to the low low price OF?? $160,000.
  • They've got a survey for "lower priced Tangos", and it gets very complicated at this point, so not even going there...
  • They have video of the car turning at a high speed, and staying on all 4 tires. Impressive. Fast. Costs more than my house. lol
I personally like the Tango and the story behind it's development. They say once you drive an EV you never go back. I'm hoping for an Elio EV way down the line and my Lit Motors C-1. For now One Tango @ $200k or 29.4 Elio's@ $6800.........I'm going with 1 Elio.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you live in a state that has lots of snow I can see owners simply removing the two front fenders for the winter. Some enterprising person will no doubt mount some huge tractor tires up front and BINGO a new sport will be born! Elio snow racing. Just imagine the rooster tails of snow being thrown from the two front un-fendered tires. Hell, I'd buy tickets to that.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think many of the questions about the rear wheel can be addressed by Can-Am owners. They have been riding their 3-wheelers for several years now and I am sure have experienced just about everything an Elio owner will.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how many Can Am owners drove in a snowstorm though. A few posts here got me thinking about that rear track. I probably spend 20-30 days driving on roads that are just snow tracked, the centers may have 5-6 inches of snow in them. Not to mention the road I live on 1/2 mile long dirt and unplowed. I do plan on driving this all year, so looks like I will have to think about some serious mods.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you live in a state that has lots of snow I can see owners simply removing the two front fenders for the winter. Some enterprising person will no doubt mount some huge tractor tires up front and BINGO a new sport will be born! Elio snow racing. Just imagine the rooster tails of snow being thrown from the two front un-fendered tires. Hell, I'd buy tickets to that.
Mark I've got a sale on and a coupon for Grandmah's lie soap.

Last edited:

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how many Can Am owners drove in a snowstorm though. A few posts here got me thinking about that rear track. I probably spend 20-30 days driving on roads that are just snow tracked, the centers may have 5-6 inches of snow in them. Not to mention the road I live on 1/2 mile long dirt and unplowed. I do plan on driving this all year, so looks like I will have to think about some serious mods.
Hog, Could this work for you Northern drivers.
Serious Mods without Big Bucks. When we know the tire sizes and bolt pattern, install a 4/5" Lift Kit, locate/purchase the proper size 'Military non-directional Tires' and rims. They will give both forward and lateral traction

When the snow flies mount this extra set of wheels, both front and back. With the Elio's 5" ground clearance and the 4/5" Lift Kit you would have 8 to 10"s of Snow clearance.

I used these, 16", on a little Datsun truck a long time ago and Never got stuck in the mud on many deer hunting adventures in some 'Nasty Georgia' weather.

I think the 'After Market' will Jump all over the Elio, as they have Saturated the Harley/Gold Wing and Crouch rocket market. They'll be looking for New Territory.

I intend to look in to this very way to have a road worthy and deer hunting, ' All Seasons Transitional Vehicle'.

Top Bottom