• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vehicle Fleets

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The company I work for has budgeted $215 million to replace 7,100 fleet passenger cars with a focus on high mpg vehicles (primarily the Toyota Prius)@ average cost of $30,281 per vehicle and so I ran some numbers.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34489
Toyota Prius Hybrid $24,200-$34,720 51/48 mpg, 50mpg combined based on 45% highway, 55% city, 15,000 annual miles, $3.56 2013 average fuel price, $1050 annual fuel cost.

Elio $6,800 49/84 mpg, 68 combined mpg
15000/68=220.59*3.56=$785 annual fuel cost.

Elio = $23,481 savings on per vehicle purchase cost & $265/yr annual fuel cost over the Toyota Prius. Over the average 5 year lifespan, $1,325 in gas savings + vehicle purchase savings = $24,806 per vehicle savings.

If the company were to take a chance on an unproven new model (the Elio) with just 14% of the planned purchases (1000) the savings would be 24,806,000 or $24.8 million over 5 years with $23,481,000 or $23.5 million of the savings being frontloaded on the very first year.

I wonder what kind of bonus I would get for bringing this to their attention? :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm... if the Elio fit the bill - no requirement to haul more than one person or much luggage, it seems that if the business went the Elio route, they'd owe you a bonus.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you I would definitely tell them about Elio Motors. I am sure many fleets out there could replace at least part of their inventory with Elios and save a lot of money while at the same time providing EM with the sales they need to stay in business.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I've put a quick powerpoint on my google drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S9OMEWBpokR19Xck5yWk8xRmc/edit?usp=sharing
None of the information there is proprietary, everything was taken from public documents. I would appreciate it if someone could take a look and leave feedback before I find out how to submit this suggestion to the company.

If you wonder where my 68MPG figure comes from, MPG is calculated as 45% city driving (49MPG) and 55% highway driving (84MPG) over 15,000 miles. It works out to 68MPG for $6,800.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I've put a quick powerpoint on my google drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S9OMEWBpokR19Xck5yWk8xRmc/edit?usp=sharing
None of the information there is proprietary, everything was taken from public documents. I would appreciate it if someone could take a look and leave feedback before I find out how to submit this suggestion to the company.

If you wonder where my 68MPG figure comes from, MPG is calculated as 45% city driving (49MPG) and 55% highway driving (84MPG) over 15,000 miles. It works out to 68MPG for $6,800.

I like it. Compact and to the point but emphasis the potential savings while pointing out the financial risk from a test run is negligible.

Elio could really use the publicity from companies like yours being interested in buying some for testing and eventually buying them in larger numbers. This is the kind of thing that could really make Elio Motors a success story.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Good job Jobeleca. As Goofyone says it is brief and to the point. I'd like to suggest a couple of changes in phrasing for your consideration:

2/6 change "This works out to roughly" to "This averages out to approximately"

3/6 This is a little less specific and may be a matter of style? I would change "Comparison with" to "Comparison to"

Wonderful suggestion and great job!!!! Good Luck! :-) Z

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good idea.

I might take any mention of your company name out of these drafts that the public views.

I couldn't figure the direct link that your company would only target 32% savings. I see how you made the link, but I saw no direct link that it was a stated company goal. Maybe state that you are making assumption that the company goals would mimic the national average targets.

I might also show the expected fuel savings compared to a Prius or any other MPG you find relevant in addition to the acquisition savings. Maybe assume $3.50 gallon cost and some typical average miles per car you think the fleet averages.

Top Bottom