• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vehicle Options While Waiting For Your Elio

ET Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to keep driving my 2003 Liberty, which I am keeping even after I get the Elio. It's got almost 187K on it and runs fine since I keep up on the maintenance. The unexpected items in the last year were a new front drive shaft and transmission cooler lines, plus normal stuff like alternator, tires, and brakes. My guess is it could need another a/c compressor and water pump in the next 18 months since those were last replaced around 105K. I'm aiming for 300K out of it!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess that we are fortunate in that we don't need an Elio, we want an Elio .... for us it will be an additional vehicle, not a replacement for a vehicle .... it can't replace the Freightliner we use to tow our camper, it can't replace our 2011 Chevy half ton (70,000 miles), it can't replace our 2000 Buick Park Avenue (101,000 miles), it can't replace my wife's 2005 Trailblazer (110,000 miles) .... what it can do is keep some miles off of our other vehicles which should make them last longer .... barring accidents or something out of our control, at our ages, this could be the last vehicle we purchase

Jim

pablotech1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a 01 Cougar with 96k mi. for $1700. "Winter car" til my Elio #6491 is ready for pick up. Then I'll sell the Cougar for $1500 and put that towards my Elio options (auto trans, heated leather power seats, rear camera, etc...) Next spring, I still have my 03 Vstar 1100 Custom to ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First of all, I am a truck person. You're ready for anything with a truck.
Having said this, I've had many cars and more motorcycles than I can count over the Years.
About 2 yrs. ago I rolled my truck on black ice, on the way to work. I bought a 96 Neon 2.0 5 spd. to hold me over for a while, so I could replace my truck in style. The Neon must've had an interesting prior life, it's wrinkled, uses a bit of oil and has a fart can for a muffler. My Friends, who know I always take pride in my rides, still shake their heads when they see the Neon. It's saving grace, 42 mpg in the Summer, 35 to 38 mpg in the Winter.
But, I became interested in the Elio, enough so that I changed my plans in fact! For now I hope the Neon lasts long enough for the Elio to be come a reality and MINE is sitting in the garage. I will then replace the Neon with that truck I've been wanting. This one two punch should take me into my golden years, allowing me to pull the camper, as well as low budget jaunts, hither and yon.
GO ELIO!!!
GO BRONCOS!!!

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2013 Chevy Sonic, 27,000+ miles
2000 Chevy Astro Van, 112,000 miles
2002 Chevy Cavalier, 165,000+ miles. At 110K, new struts, brakes, brake calipers, brake lines, disks and drums all round, fuel line, belts, hoses, gaskets, plugs, power steering pump, oil pump, plug wires, water pump, belt ( all were added over the first two years after 110K as preventive maintenance, nothing crapped out on me) and ran it though the car wash for the third time. Rust on body is minimal and none on frame. My maintenance man said it should be good for another 150K. My 17 year old daughter just started driving it.

All those Chevrolets, must make you just a little nervous, tell your maintenance man to check your ignition switches. :D

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm still driving my modified 00 3L Cougar daily, but plan to pick up a new 1L Fiesta EcoBoost this winter. As my Cougar has little resale value after all the modifications I've done to it it'll be kept as a sporty summer car, the Fiesta will be kept as a fuel efficient cargo hauler and the Elio will become the commuter when it comes.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our 2007 Honda Fit is our main vehicle (usually 35mpg mixed town/hwy) but we have a 1990 Ford Ranger that still has less than 100k on it! We will keep it going safely until the Elios come out and then donate it for Public Radio. An easy way to get rid of it but still make sure it's useful. Today it gets an alignment and will get new tires. For it's age I'm hoping that an alignment is all that is needed. You just never know with older vehicles.

Top Bottom