• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Video: Paul Elio Presents To The Sec

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What would really get him in trouble is not following SEC procedures for announcing news relevant to the success of the company. He answered what he could in a public forum.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That was covered before the hearing started, he asked them to sign a form (the name escapes me at the moment, but is a secrecy thing) and they couldn't because it would violate the rules of an open meeting, and would make it private; Glover was looking for as much media coverage as he could get (it was a politico move on his part) so that's why a lot of answers were "general coverage" and couldn't be specific because it would violate SEC rules.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Non-disclosure Agreement. This puts Paul between a rock and a hard place. One government entity wants answers while another government entity says its illegal to give answers.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Non-disclosure Agreement. This puts Paul between a rock and a hard place. One government entity wants answers while another government entity says its illegal to give answers.
Not necessarily true. Many states' open meeting laws provide for the government body holding a public meeting to transition to a "closed session" to consider confidential information or other issues that are covered under an enumerated list of closed session exceptions to a state's open meeting law. I haven't researched Louisiana's open meetings law, but it's likely there's an exception that could've allowed the hearing panel to adjourn to a closed session (assuming they announced the closed session in the public hearing's agenda before the hearing took place).

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't have the answet to that. but the current value is over 10, and that was prior to starting to work with the tranny people. I know they're trying to tweak every mile per gallon out of the car, but at some point they have to have adequate get up and go to make it safely onto the highway. It's possible that an engine computer tune may affect the final values.

I'm sure you know that engineering is chock-full of this kind of problem. There's no free lunch when it comes to the laws of physics.
He's pretty blatant in his statement. "There's no turbo planned...." and "No work has been done on a turbo." and "You have to crawl before you can walk." and "...they have certainly projected for it."

But he seemed pretty confident in a 0-60 in under 5 seconds for a turbo model. :car:
Does anyone know how much it should cost to install turbo kit? Just a guess from anyone who knows more than I do about turbos, which is almost zero! :crazy:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much it should cost to install turbo kit? Just a guess from anyone who knows more than I do about turbos, which is almost zero! :crazy:
It can be expensive (into the thousands) if it's put on a car that wasn't set up for a turbo. I suspect the Elio Turbo will be a true plug-and-play setup. If the engine already is set to accept a turbo, I could see a shop being able to do a turbo install in about 2 hours of mechanic time so it would cost 2 hours plus the price of the turbo.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking entirely out of hypotheticals and educated guesses, I would wager a full turbocharger upgrade kit would run $1200-1500 in parts alone, more like $1450-1750 if marked up by Elio Motors and sold as a profitable accessory package. Then account for however many hours of labor to install the components. While I am not a total grease monkey, I am confident in my abilities to install the components correctly with enough bloody knuckles and emptied six-packs involved. But I also wouldn't want to void whatever factory warranties Elio Motors might attach to its product once in consumers' hands, either. I'd wager you'd be all in for $2000-2500.

Justification: I recall reading that Precision Turbo & Engine (PTE) (http://www.precisionturbo.net/) had participated in a few of the later Supplier Summits when the Elio P-series designs were still being hashed out. So I tallied the public MSRP values for a few of their components off their website (turbocharger, air-to-air intercooler, flanges, gaskets, seals, clamps, hoses, etc).

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It can be expensive (into the thousands) if it's put on a car that wasn't set up for a turbo. I suspect the Elio Turbo will be a true plug-and-play setup. If the engine already is set to accept a turbo, I could see a shop being able to do a turbo install in about 2 hours of mechanic time so it would cost 2 hours plus the price of the turbo.
Thanks Ty and Raptor .

Top Bottom