• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vote For The Elgin Dash

Vote for Elgin Dash

• Love it

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Hate it

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Mixed feelings

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I'm always too wishy-washy to choose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have an opinion 'cause I don't care

Votes: 13 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It begs the question of:
"Why would anyone have insisted on putting THAT in an otherwise near-perfect vehicle when they knew is was highly unpopular?
Hmmm.

in the speaking from my belief which may or may not reflect the truth of the situation .... Paul sees this as a way of honoring his father .... nothing wrong with that, quiet the contrary, its admirable .... with him its a matter of pride and to him that ends the story .... its his car, he will have what he wants, period .... he doesn't believe it will cost him sales, take it or leave it

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't disagree with you.
I'd love to see a moving simulation of it in use.
I've never been real big on idiot lights though

I forgot the old "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear rule."
Here's instrument panel........

Is that thing on the left a miniature battle tank?
I guess I can live with it.
Wish there was more explanatory text.
Like is there anything in the center?

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. I've been waiting for someone to post this.
Someone else posted that there's a possibility that this may not cost Elio sales.
I totally disagree. Now, of all times, is not the time for EM appear the least bit eccentric.
At least not when it comes to the business model or the product. The bigger issue is confidence.
I'm thinking about all the "fence sitter" potential customers and potential investors out here.
Agree, that the dash in itself might not be that big of an issue contrasted against the benefits of the rest of the vehicle.
But, it's going to be viewed by some as a possible symptom of underlying issues.
The important part of this is... if PE and EM appear inflexible, quirky and/or eccentric about something like this...
Many will wonder how else those tendencies may affect the company, vehicle or their relationship with EM down the road?

It begs the question of:

"Why would anyone have insisted on putting THAT in an otherwise near-perfect vehicle when they knew is was highly unpopular?

Hmmm.

A) remember: you have only seen a prototype (or photos) of the dash
B) many people do like it or reserve judgement until they see the final product
C) do people really base their decisions on something as minor as an instrument cluster? not saying that no-one does, but a majority of people?
D) some of the opinions are skewed by age and other factors; products are developed for a broad spectrum of users, not self-selecting groups with much time on their hands
E) are digital instrument clusters not used by many professions, on machines, medical equipment, in airplanes? does that lead to a higher rate of user errors?
F) which processes in cars need analogue displays? am I better off knowing that my car was cruising at 50 mph before it reached 60 and how would I not know that from looking at a digital cluster?
G) some professional gear would be close to useless with needle over number gages, think professional photography equipment
H) how long does it take children to read analogue clocks vs a digital display?
I) if you base your investments and opinions about products on minor and unknown details, you have way to much time on your hands

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If digital displays in cars are hard to read and outright dangerous as some would like us to believe, is Mercedes Benz getting it all wrong in their race-car instrument clusters?

SteeringWheel.jpg

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
in the speaking from my belief which may or may not reflect the truth of the situation .... Paul sees this as a way of honoring his father .... nothing wrong with that, quiet the contrary, its admirable .... with him its a matter of pride and to him that ends the story .... its his car, he will have what he wants, period .... he doesn't believe it will cost him sales, take it or leave it
I certainly understand and respect that.
I suggest a simple and extremely reasonable solution.

Provide an elegant copy of the Elgin timepiece in or on the dash and give the customers the sweep needle gauges that they want.
I certainly would remember what the timepiece meant every time I checked the time in the Elio.

At some point this became not just "his car" anymore.
It happened when he involved others and asked others to undergo risk on it's, and his, behalf.
As far as being admirable, this is NOT a situation where someone chose the more difficult, but right, path out of a sense of morality or virtue.

Though some may interpret it as such.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I) if you base your investments and opinions about products on minor and unknown details, you have way to much time on your hands
If this particular detail is so "minor and unknown", why are there so many seemingly passionate opinions expressed about it?
I too, could make bullet points and attach files all day long. Prove anything? Not really.
The fact still remains that both polls on this site indicate that the overwhelming majority hate this thing.
As far as "too much time on my hands", I stongly suggest that you try to refrain from getting personal, thank you very much.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If this particular detail is so "minor and unkown", why are there so many seemingly passionate opinions expressed about it?
I too, could make bullet points and attach files all day long. Prove anything? Not really.
The fact still remains that both polls on this site indicate that the overwhelming majority hate this thing.
As far as "too much time on my hands", I stongly suggest that you try to refrain from getting personal, thank you very much.

Have you seen our discussion on which side the fuel filler should be on?

Just because something is widely discussed with passionate opinions does not mean it is important. :D

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen our discussion on which side the fuel filler should be on?

Just because something is widely discussed with passionate opinions does not mean it is important. :D
Yep, got your point.
Though it sure seems like an issue to some.

Just for giggles... because of the Elio's mpg, I'll only have to be aware of it's filler tube about 10 times a year.
I'll have that other technical monstrosity staring me in the face every time I drive the vehicle.

Top Bottom