• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

We Will Have To Behave!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No a sports car can not, but a M/C can......

The rules are in a car you must have 2 or more passengers, but M/C's can use them any time.

info appreciated .... so what about a sports car with two passengers .... with an Elio being classified as a motorcycle, specially when carrying 2 people, why wouldn't it be allowed in the HOV lane .... as a side question, when towing our camper with my wife and I in the truck shown, could we use the HOV lane .... I don't recall ever seeing a vehicle towing any type of trailer in an HOV lane but then I haven't been looking

Jim

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
info appreciated .... so what about a sports car with two passengers .... with an Elio being classified as a motorcycle, specially when carrying 2 people, why wouldn't it be allowed in the HOV lane .... as a side question, when towing our camper with my wife and I in the truck shown, could we use the HOV lane .... I don't recall ever seeing a vehicle towing any type of trailer in an HOV lane but then I haven't been looking

Jim
It would be fine then. It is when there is only one person where the issue occurs. Technically as a mc, we should be able to travel in HOV with one person. However, the perception will be of a car and therefore, one person will be questionable until you prove you are a mc. I don't know about trailer towing in HOV having never paid that much attention. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim
FYI, HOV lanes are marked with <> signs painted in the lane. :-) Z

viii_ball

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you carry donuts, you will most likely get pulled over more. ;)

Besides that, police cannot just pull you over for committing no crime. ;)
Not sure about the legality but my wife was pointed over by a cop running radar just because he wanted to look at her 3 wheeled Spyder motorcycle. And BTW if you go through a checkpoint they are essentially pulling you over without you committing a crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been wondering too about the tags we will get. Should be the small motorcycle ones, but the ways of the California DMV are indeed opaque and I won't be holding my breath. In all seriousness having the motorcycle registration will obviate any real problems, but let's face it, if you have to pull that out you already HAVE gotten pulled over, justifiably or not. My guess is that until the Elio is standard fare getting pulled over would have more to do with the police wanting to be sure that the vehicle isn't a homebuilt that is breaking some law or another.

Roberto Benitez

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It was a joke. That being said, on the Elio blog they actually said a cop in LA pulled them over for just that reason.
I have also seen videos of cops pulling over vehicles just because they do not know what they are(e.g. Velomobile? A bike that looks like an enclosed kayak--goes very fast).

As it goes, ignorance of the law is not excusable, but the laws ignorance is always excused.

Larryrc1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
;)
One thing is for sure. We had all better be good when we start driving around in these things, because everyone in town will know that 3 wheel 'thing.' The cops may pull you over just to take a look. Should we carry donuts?
Talking about behaving , remember the Austin Powers movie "Golden Member" they had similiar cars like the elio but at the very end they had a tail that resembled a sperm cell( or is it my imagination). Watch the movie , it's always woth a laugh., Oh ! Behave.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can guarantee that until the Elio is commonplace and the dust has settled on the legal arguments of whether it is a car or whether it is a motorcycle, you WILL get pulled over if you drive it in the HOV lane in California. And grilled.

With any luck they'll beat the snot out of you with the Elio in the background. Free viral video advertising. Make sure to smile.

I plan to carry a copy of the relevant California Vehicular code for just such an exigency.
Don't forget your video camera!
Maybe EM should offer video camera installation as an option. I've seen a few "illegal stop" videos on youtube. In many of them the cameras saved their bacon! Seems like pretty cheap insurance.

Top Bottom