• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Car You Have Owned Was, Is, The Most Fun To Drive?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My favorite car is torn between two: My 914 and my Corvairs.

My auto stable consists of:
1960 Corvair coupe
1964 Corvair coupe
1961 Corvair station wagon
1971 Datsun 240Z
1968 Porsche 912
1971 Porsche 914 (4)
1970 Opel GT
1970 VW sand rail (street legal)

My motorcycle stable consists of:
1980 Kawasaki KZ1300 (has inline 6 cylinder engine)
1980 Kawasaki KZ1300 (has inline 6 cylinder engine) (I have two of these)
1982 Honda GL1100 Gold Wind naked bike (made without faring or bags)
1981 Honda CBX1000 (has inline 6 cylinder engine)
1982 Honda CBX1000 (has inline 6 cylinder engine)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

All cars and bikes are registered and insured.

Obviously I am not married.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had the most fun and gotten the most speeding tickets in a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. I bought it in 1975 with a blown 260 motor for $1,200.00 and put a Boss 302 in it out of a '69 Mustang, it has a top loader four speed and a Dana 44 with 2:88 gears. My most memorable experience in it was about a year after I put it together, I went to visit a friend in Pendleton Oregon one night, and coming home about 11 o'clock, I took a short cut called 'The Cold Springs Cutoff', dry land wheat farming country, no traffic and I have the top down and the hammer down, I come around a large sweeping corner and a half mile ahead of me John Law has the red and blue bubble machine lit up. I hit the anchors and pull up behind the Oregon State Patrol car, trooper gets out, walks up to my door and says 'I'm sure glad you stopped, I never would have caught you. Do you know how fast you were going?' The speedometer goes to 140 and it was bouncing and I know enough not to admit to anything, so I say 'I was paying attention to the road and not the speedometer'. He says 'This is a Tiger isn't it, no Alpine could run like that, let me show you something', I follow him up to the cop car and he's got me on radar at 134 MPH, and then says 'I could write you a ticket that would probably take your license away, but if you give me a ride in it, I will make it a warning' I said ' climb in.' He locks up the cop car, climbs in on the passenger side and I drive back up the road I just came down and he gets to talking. He says he used to autocross in a MGB GT and there was a Sunbeam Tiger that used to kick his ass every weekend and he hasn't seen a Tiger in years. I go back up the hill about 5 or 6 miles, turn the car around, set the emergency brake and ask 'would like to drive it?' He says 'Hell Yeah". We trade places and he pulls off the shoulder of the road spinning tires in the gravel, barks the tires when we hit pavement, bangs second gear, barks them again and we're off to the races. This guy drives it like it's stolen but obviously he knows what he is doing. We get back to his patrol car and he says 'You tell your friends about this, they won't believe you, let me write you a receipt, that is what he called it, a receipt. He gets his ticket book out and fills it out completely, road conditions, weather conditions, traffic conditions. Speed checked on Radar 134 MPH. Then said "Needless to say the next cop that pulls you over is not going to be nearly as understanding as I am you better slow it down"

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score

1960 Corvair coupe
1964 Corvair coupe
1971 Datsun 240Z
1968 Porsche 912
1971 Porsche 914 (4)
1970 Opel GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

How can you go from 80's tourers to a Hayabusa?!?!?! I'll bet your holding on for dear life when making that switch. And an Opel and 240Z? PLEASE post pictures. Never owned either one, but always wanted to.:cool:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

1960 Corvair coupe
1964 Corvair coupe
1971 Datsun 240Z
1968 Porsche 912
1971 Porsche 914 (4)
1970 Opel GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Geeze, are you going to have enough room for an Elio?, I have 5 cars and 5 bikes (and I am baby sitting a trailer, a Dodge truck and an RX7 also) and I have to play the "parking lot puzzle game" now .
screen480x480.jpeg

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had the most fun and gotten the most speeding tickets in a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. I bought it in 1975 with a blown 260 motor for $1,200.00 and put a Boss 302 in it out of a '69 Mustang, it has a top loader four speed and a Dana 44 with 2:88 gears. My most memorable experience in it was about a year after I put it together, I went to visit a friend in Pendleton Oregon one night, and coming home about 11 o'clock, I took a short cut called 'The Cold Springs Cutoff', dry land wheat farming country, no traffic and I have the top down and the hammer down, I come around a large sweeping corner and a half mile ahead of me John Law has the red and blue bubble machine lit up. I hit the anchors and pull up behind the Oregon State Patrol car, trooper gets out, walks up to my door and says 'I'm sure glad you stopped, I never would have caught you. Do you know how fast you were going?' The speedometer goes to 140 and it was bouncing and I know enough not to admit to anything, so I say 'I was paying attention to the road and not the speedometer'. He says 'This is a Tiger isn't it, no Alpine could run like that, let me show you something', I follow him up to the cop car and he's got me on radar at 134 MPH, and then says 'I could write you a ticket that would probably take your license away, but if you give me a ride in it, I will make it a warning' I said ' climb in.' He locks up the cop car, climbs in on the passenger side and I drive back up the road I just came down and he gets to talking. He says he used to autocross in a MGB GT and there was a Sunbeam Tiger that used to kick his ass every weekend and he hasn't seen a Tiger in years. I go back up the hill about 5 or 6 miles, turn the car around, set the emergency brake and ask 'would like to drive it?' He says 'Hell Yeah". We trade places and he pulls off the shoulder of the road spinning tires in the gravel, barks the tires when we hit pavement, bangs second gear, barks them again and we're off to the races. This guy drives it like it's stolen but obviously he knows what he is doing. We get back to his patrol car and he says 'You tell your friends about this, they won't believe you, let me write you a receipt, that is what he called it, a receipt. He gets his ticket book out and fills it out completely, road conditions, weather conditions, traffic conditions. Speed checked on Radar 134 MPH. Then said "Needless to say the next cop that pulls you over is not going to be nearly as understanding as I am you better slow it down"
Great story. wish ther was a "Super Like" button!

BearLakeSteve

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
1962 Chevrolet Impala SS I miss that car and my 4 track tape player life was so much simpler then

Sounds like my first car, Smitty. My grandpa had bought a used 63 Impala for my grandma. She didn't like and would not drive it, so he gave it to me when I was only 15. First time I popped the hood I saw that the original owner had chromed everything under the hood and added a dual quad intake/carbs. You could literally hear it suck gas when you stepped on the accellerator. I think I got about 6 mpg and burned off half the tire tread on my first trip in it. No four-track though, it somehow still had the original stereo. Oh how I wish I had not given up that car when I went off to college.

Top Bottom