• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Color Elio Are You Getting?

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The above from: http://www.greatestlook.com/colormatching.html

The Color Wheel:
colorwheelth.gif
Every color can be broken down into combinations of two of the three primary colors, plus lightness and darkness, reflecting the intensity or faintness of the color. The three most basic colors - the primary colors - are red, blue and yellow. The addition of light and dark to these give us shades from robin's egg blue, pale pink, and butter yellow, to lapis lazuli blue, blood red, and sunflower yellow. It is from these primary colors that all other colors are formed.

When you mix any two primary colors in equal measure, you get a secondary color. Mixing red and blue creates violet. Mixing blue and yellow creates green. Mixing yellow and red creates orange. Adding measures of light or dark to these colors creates varying shades of the colors as well.

Tertiary colors are created by mixing a secondary color with its adjacent primary color. For example green can be mixed with blue or yellow to create blue-green or yellow-green; orange can be mixed with red or yellow to form red-orange or yellow-orange; and violet can be combined with blue and red for blue-violet and red-violet. By adjusting the amounts of the primary colors with the levels of lightness or darkness in the color, you can create any shade of color found in our universe.

Learning at least the basic layout of the color wheel is important for matching colors because doing so allows you to understand the relationship of these colors. Once you understand the relationship of the colors, you will be better able to determine how well these colors will work when paired with one another.

Color Relationships:

Now that you understand the color wheel and how colors are formed from the primary colors you can understand the two basic relationships we talk about when we look at matching colors. Primary and secondary colors that sit side-by-side on the color wheel are considered to be Analogous to one another. (Example: Blue's Analogous colors are green and violet, while orange's Analogous colors are red and yellow.) Analogous colors tend to work well with one another and often have the effect of causing each color to appear subdued.

Primary and secondary colors that are positioned opposite one another on the color wheel are considered to be Complimentary colors. Blue is Complimentary to orange. Violet is Complimentary to yellow. Red is Complimentary to green. The reverse is also true for these pairings. Complimentary colors are named such because the colors they compliment appear to stand out and seem bolder than either color appears separately

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Drove a company Pinto 4-spd wagon back in the day - a company experiment in environmental consciousness. It was that peculiar avocado-green popular in the '70s, and boy did it turn heads . . . and not in a good way. That was the end of the environmental movement in our company. I got a new white Caprice Classic wagon after 6 months of shame. Nice change after the Pinto tried to kill several of us who had the bad fortune to be assigned to "Christine".

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you want ideas for color combinations, go to your local book store & look at the HOT ROD or CUSTOM car magazines. A favorite of mine has always been, ANY lite color on the bottom & BLACK on top. :cool: The color break following the body line toward the top of the doors and a few inches below the door glass. :cool: :cool:

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OSTB, I am looking more for a texture body, like a leather, or snake skin, or carbon fiber. (my mazda 2 has carbon fiber on the roof, the hood and I am now getting it put on the wheels and side, looks like the mini cooper side, contrasting wheel trim.
A leather body, with black chrome wheels and a black chrome rear panel and a stripe tying it all together...a leather elio, wow!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OSTB, I am looking more for a texture body, like a leather, or snake skin, or carbon fiber. (my mazda 2 has carbon fiber on the roof, the hood and I am now getting it put on the wheels and side, looks like the mini cooper side, contrasting wheel trim.
A leather body, with black chrome wheels and a black chrome rear panel and a stripe tying it all together...a leather elio, wow!
Ideal for a leather, snakeskin, wrap, or wood wrap option. Whole body or panels.

Buddy Hatfield

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm getting the Silver and then painting the Ruby Red Pearl on it. Just like the picture you see, the trim you see on it is plastic chrome
E36.JPG

Top Bottom