• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Happened To Yellow?

Marckorbin

Reaction score
Correct, but that doesn't stop the flak I continue to get from many people who keep trying to make that comparison.

My guess is that may be one reason yellow was dropped.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather look like I'm driving a lobster or scorpion than a banana down the road. Nothing against bananas! They're great on a bowl of Corn Flakes!

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how to break this to you but Old Yeller died at end of movie but in a stunning surprise a puppy took his place..sort of like the Ps died and another took over. Probably the Es will also die and another letter will take it's place.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been trying to keep up with the proposed color palette, and it's become a bit confusing. I first wanted yellow, but when it quickly disappeared from the color choices, I was not a happy prospect. Since then, I've moved on to red, then black, and now the "rocket silver" intrigues me. Photoshop renderings don't really represent the actual color on the car. Photos don't do them justice, and small swatches don't really help much more. You need to see the color on the car to make a final choice.

As in any color, the specific shade is everything. Yellow can be an ugly dark yellow like the recent collection of shades from Chevrolet seen in their Corvette racing livery. Or "school bus" yellow, even worse. It can also be a "lemon" (or "citrus" for the semantically squeamish) yellow that combined with a medium silver-gray trim can be quite attractive. Red can be anything from "tomato soup", to fire-engine, to Ferrari's rosso corsa - a blood-red shade that is drop dead gorgeous. Blue is all over the map - and is almost impossible to show properly because like other colors, it can change with the light.

So now I'm considering "rocket silver". When it was introduced it was to be charitable, "primer gray". All it needed was some pink stripes of Bond-O to make it a perfect imitation of a custom job gone awry. BUT the latest photos and renderings seem to show that the "silver" has matured a bit, tending to a somewhat darker metallic hue that is actually reflective, rather than the standard flat German racing silver that arose from Auto Union's penchant for leaving the aluminum body of their early 30's racers unpainted . . . to save weight. OK, they were fast, but they were spectacularly ugly in a world of British Racing Green, French Blue, Italian Red, and even Spanish Yellow.

Lexus is now offering what they've called "Atomic Silver", a somewhat darker shade of semi-metallic gray that responds beautifully to a high polish. Combine that with their wine-red "Claret" interior leather, and you have one gorgeous automobile - that even LOOKS expensive. (Yeah, sadly, it is expensive too.) So the jury's still out. I'll make a decision once Elios start rolling off the line in Shreveport. I may even pay a visit to see what the colors look like "in steel" before I make my final decision.

img_1763.jpg

"Atomic Silver" seems to show off the body lines well, while offering some rich pewter-like highlights. It appears to be pretty close to the latest "Rocket Silver" shown on the latest E-series.

Top Bottom