• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is The Latest Start Production Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Micra is not sold in the US and the Spark starts at $13K for the US market.

The point being, there are plenty of used cars out there for Elio pricing. They are pretty new and low mileage cars. Ones like the Ford and Kia have much better warranties being certified pre owned. The price of an Elio will buy you a cheap newer car but it's not all wore out and ready for the junkyard.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Micra is not sold in the US and the Spark starts at $13K for the US market.

The point being, there are plenty of used cars out there for Elio pricing. They are pretty new and low mileage cars. Ones like the Ford and Kia have much better warranties being certified pre owned. The price of an Elio will buy you a cheap newer car but it's not all wore out and ready for the junkyard.
You forgot to mention that the Elio is teen / 1st year collage resistant.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like by the time it's on the lot, over $12k and then add tax and license.
Example
So I guess the difference between CA and USA is about 1:to:1.6 for the same car.
Something sold in India or China seems likely to easily double.
Surprised at the difference in price. I always buy used and three of my cars are from US. I saved 20k on year old BMW from Texas compared to Ontario. Bought when dollars were at par.

PA Car Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
"How many parents will get their college kids an Elio rather than a almost dead used car?"

The Elio is a projected $7450 and that's not counting destination fee. Let's say the destination fee is $500 (which is less than any other destination fee out there that I know of). So, that brings the price up to $7950. For that price I can buy a 2012 Ford Certified Pre owned Fiesta with 29,000 miles for $7995. Certified Pre Owned gets me 12 month/12K mile Premium Care Ford Warranty, Roadside Assistance, remaining factory warranty and a 7 year 100K powertrain warranty. I don't consider that an almost dead used car. It also has passed all federal safety standards. As for the Elio, no idea what the safety standard is, long term reliability or if there will be a place that can service it which won't be 100 miles away.

Plus, my kid can pack it full of stuff when he goes off to college as opposed to having to pay U-Ship. When kids go off to college, the car usually sits and not many miles are put on it anyway. Most live on campus or close to it.

A few other searches of cars in the Elio price range:
2015 Mitsubishi Mirage, 27K, $7995
2013 Kia Rio, 35K, $7995 (Kia Certified pre owned)
2013 VW Jetta, 63K, $7995
2012 Fiat 500, 6K, $7995
2011 Mazda 2, 31K, $7995

schneidy - you are well prepared to discuss a single element of the Elio -upfront cost - however you are not able to discuss the many other attributes and reasons for buying this mode of transportation with any degree of success. Most people 18-25, in college or working one or two jobs need to pay for their gas, insurance and maintenance (as do we all...but college kids have been mentioned). Do you need me to pull together a table to show you how the numbers work or can you do the math?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And how many college kids want to show up in a POS Chevy sub-compact car? No, they want something a lot cooler, like a new Mustang or Camaro; showing up in a little used hatchback? In reality, the little hatchback makes sense, but that's to us, think back to when you were 18, did you let your practical side rule? Or if you knew you could get any car you wanted, what did you get? PA Car Guy is right, schneidy (I like that) you know the numbers and the cost of things, but you have no concept to the mind of a teenager.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
schneidy - you are well prepared to discuss a single element of the Elio -upfront cost - however you are not able to discuss the many other attributes and reasons for buying this mode of transportation with any degree of success. Most people 18-25, in college or working one or two jobs need to pay for their gas, insurance and maintenance (as do we all...but college kids have been mentioned). Do you need me to pull together a table to show you how the numbers work or can you do the math?

Put that table together. I'd like to see it. Thanks.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And how many college kids want to show up in a POS Chevy sub-compact car? No, they want something a lot cooler, like a new Mustang or Camaro; showing up in a little used hatchback? In reality, the little hatchback makes sense, but that's to us, think back to when you were 18, did you let your practical side rule? Or if you knew you could get any car you wanted, what did you get? PA Car Guy is right, schneidy (I like that) you know the numbers and the cost of things, but you have no concept to the mind of a teenager.

Most teenagers today are not into cars like we were back in the day. I know plenty of parents that end up having to make their kids get a license. My niece ended up getting her license but my nephew is going to graduate this year and still doesn't have a license. Go to a college today and it's got kids cycling all over the place, taking the campus shuttle or Uber. Most of the cars just sit. My niece put 3K miles on her Fiesta in 2.5 years of college life. My mother does more than that in a year and she's 85 years old.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most teenagers today are not into cars like we were back in the day. I know plenty of parents that end up having to make their kids get a license. My niece ended up getting her license but my nephew is going to graduate this year and still doesn't have a license. Go to a college today and it's got kids cycling all over the place, taking the campus shuttle or Uber. Most of the cars just sit. My niece put 3K miles on her Fiesta in 2.5 years of college life. My mother does more than that in a year and she's 85 years old.

Another gross generalization is that most teenagers today don't drive because they don't have a job, and don't want a job. They don't need a car if they're happy living for free in their parents basement.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went without a vehicle for 25.5 years until 9/1/16, of course I was living, traveling the world and did not miss them much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom