• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is The Latest Start Production Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry it's not over, or a sure thing........both views are extreme. I'm somewhere in the middle. EM has the same chance with or without the ATVM Loan. EM's own financial statements are bleak, progress is slow, but funding can materialize allowing for that good progress to continue. Along with funding, EM also lists other roadblocks to success. What would make the difference in funding and credibility to venture capitalists and/or the ATVM are finalized specs and a running prototype.
Believe it or not...they've got my 1K so I'm not going anywhere! :D Some ultra rich capitalists out there who can shell out 300+ millions while ignoring EM's mounting debt of 123+ millions is all they need.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure, but that engine was designed specifically to achieve mpg numbers to qualify for the ATVM loan program that Elio claims they don't require.

Seems using an off-the-shelf engine, initially, would have allowed them to enter production sooner...
You know, sometimes it's frustrating that these same things keep coming up when they've been dealt with before. In this case there were no available engines anywhere on the market that met the need for a long stroke so that power was delivered at reasonable RPM's and highway speeds. Elio also discovered that it would actually cost more to buy conventional engines because the makers of those engines would have to make a substantial profit on them. And furthermoren, production demands on engines are pretty high so there would have to be extra lines built to do them and so forth and so on at the volume levels that Elio needs. So EM would have to pay those costs too, thus further increasing the price of a bought engine. The long and short of it was that it was a prudent decision to design their own engine.

Paul Elio is not an idiot. He is an engineer with deep experience in engineering to cost. So why some members of this forum persist in thinking he is an idiot I don't understand.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, sometimes it's frustrating that these same things keep coming up when they've been dealt with before. In this case there were no available engines anywhere on the market that met the need for a long stroke so that power was delivered at reasonable RPM's and highway speeds. Elio also discovered that it would actually cost more to buy conventional engines because the makers of those engines would have to make a substantial profit on them. And furthermoren, production demands on engines are pretty high so there would have to be extra lines built to do them and so forth and so on if the volume levels that Elio needs. So EM would have to pay those costs too, thus further increasing the price of a bought engine. The long and short of it was that it was a prudent to design their own engine.

Paul Elio is not an idiot. He is an engineer with deep experience in engineering to cost. So why some members of this forum persist in thinking he is an idiot I don't understand.
Ok so he's not an idiot but a thinking engineer who's still in control but in a hole right now. :D The road to the magical 65K reservations is not too far off, who knows what that could bring to the overall picture. Always liked your positive posts Ekh. Keep it up!;)

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I appreciate the info, but lots of intelligent people make poor business decisions. I'm not saying he did, simply that not being an idiot doesn't automatically make someone successful.

I do not think Paul is an idiot, in case that was unclear.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Without a proven engine, there will be no ATVM loan. It remains to be seen if some investor(s) have less demanding criteria that the DOE. It's over, man. There, I said it.
Without a proven engine, there will be no ATVM loan. It remains to be seen if some investor(s) have less demanding criteria that the DOE. It's over, man. There, I said it.
Why is that? The ATMV is for development and increasing/developing capabilities. Elio can easily show efficiency with an engine without even having one built already(which they do, actually). Software has come a long way. Anyway, everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you say they'll fail and I say they'll succeed, one of us is bound to be right. Only one of us seems aware he is on an Elio enthusiast forum though...

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_1967.JPG
You know, sometimes it's frustrating that these same things keep coming up when they've been dealt with before. In this case there were no available engines anywhere on the market that met the need for a long stroke so that power was delivered at reasonable RPM's and highway speeds. Elio also discovered that it would actually cost more to buy conventional engines because the makers of those engines would have to make a substantial profit on them. And furthermoren, production demands on engines are pretty high so there would have to be extra lines built to do them and so forth and so on at the volume levels that Elio needs. So EM would have to pay those costs too, thus further increasing the price of a bought engine. The long and short of it was that it was a prudent decision to design their own engine.

Q. I for one like the concept of what Paul is doing, and I am sure when finished. It will be a revolution in transportation. Paul is determined to give you a inexpensive form of transportation, well engineered to give you what you expect from the Elio. I for one will stick with him until the job is completed.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 11988
Q. I for one like the concept of what Paul is doing, and I am sure when finished. It will be a revolution in transportation. Paul is determined to give you a inexpensive form of transportation, well engineered to give you what you expect from the Elio. I for one will stick with him until the job is completed.
Doug, I'm curious how long have you been with Paul on the Elio journey? I've been on the journey since 2007. Perhaps Elio journey time would be poll worthy?

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doug, I'm curious how long have you been with Paul on the Elio journey? I've been on the journey since 2007. Perhaps Elio journey time would be poll worthy?
Rick,I only found out about Elio about a yr. ago. I went all in on Feb 28 of this year. Maybe you could share with us, what is your feelings are about Elio? I don't think that anyone will sway me from staying the course, but am open minded .

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rick,I only found out about Elio about a yr. ago. I went all in on Feb 28 of this year. Maybe you could share with us, what is your feelings are about Elio? I don't think that anyone will sway me from staying the course, but am open minded .
Doug, I'm not trying to sway anyone. I was simply curious. My feelings regarding the Elio peak and valley after a loooooooong 8-9 year "are we there yet" journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom